Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-25-2015, 05:13 PM   #1

A tip on replacing the 37" plasma TV.

I decided to replace the 37" plasma TV with a 40" led. I was surprised at how heavy that plasma is compared to the new TV. Due to its weight the plasma was mounted on four corners unlike the new tvs which utilize a center bracket mount. I was able to use the existing mount by purchasing two slotted angle brackets at Lowe's in 3 ft lengths. I bolted them to the original mounts and then bolted the new TV to the brackets. It's good and sturdy and fits in seamlessly. The only modification I had to do was cut a section out of the lower bracket to allow for the power cord connection. Just passing this on in case someone is thinking of tackling this.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-25-2015, 06:43 PM   #2

Good to know!! What make and model 40" LED?? Pictures?

I replaced my plasma with an HD version of the same plasma TV a few years ago, so it was an exact fit and mount. You're right, it is heavy! But those are no longer made, so it won't be an option now.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:33 PM   #3

The new TV is a Samsung that is sold at Sam's Club. I think it was the only one they have that fits that exact 36" space like the plasma. I should have taken pictures during the project. It was only after I mounted it that my wife suggested I post my solution for mounting the new TV. I'll take some pictures tomorrow and try to post them.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:29 AM   #4

Here are some pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tvinstl01.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	83.8 KB
ID:	101143   Click image for larger version

Name:	tvinstl02.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	101144  

Click image for larger version

Name:	tvinstl03.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	115.9 KB
ID:	101145   Click image for larger version

Name:	tvinstl04.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	101146  

Old 12-09-2015, 09:51 AM   #5

Mocha, I think there must be more to this story? I see from your pictures that you have not hooked up the cables to the TV as of this picture taking. I am doing the same TV replace right now, my coach has Surround Sound installed. The Plasma TV is a Monitor which has no Tuner or Speakers, the Samsung does not adjust the volume to
the external speakers when connected to the Surround Sound system. What did you do with that problem? Samsung tells me that none of their TVs adjust volume to external speakers and I will have to use a volume control from the Surround Sound system. I do not think I have a VOLUME CONTROL on my system. I am sure you have more to share on this subject. Waiting Patiently Ken L.
Ken L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 12:04 PM   #6

Mocha may or may not have that problem! On '04 coaches like mine, the sound never went to the plasma monitor at all. The sound went through a Home Theater in a Box surround sound system (in my coach a Panasonic), which controlled the volume. Only the video went to the plasma. And with all my modifications it is still that way.

The '03's I believe had the sound attached to the external speaker connections on the plasma to the 12 volt surround sound system. I am guessing that is what you have. So Mocha might not have the same problem, just like I didn't. It depends on the year.
Old 12-09-2015, 05:53 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
A tip on replacing the 37" plasma TV.

I am assuming you have looked at the postings under "Tips and mods-Alpine style" there are at least 2 posting on TV replacement (I did 1 of them). In my 2005 I have a Zenith surround sound system, it was replaced once by WRV. I currently take the audio off the TV and run it to the Zenith. I use a Logitech programmable remote that turns on the TV, Sat receiver (or Bluray) and sound system. Volume control comes from the sound system.

I am in the process of replacing the Zenith system with a Samsung sound bar. The Zenith does not have great sound and one of the speakers is directly above my wife's chair when we are sitting at the dining room table and it is way too loud. The Zenith also does not reproduce voice very well. I am hoping that the Samsung will resolve both those issues. Also the Samsung is also Bluetooth compatible so we will be able to link music from our smart phones/ iPad , etc.

When I am done I will post pictures.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 07:47 PM   #8

The Panasonic Bluray home theater in a box sound system I currently have has one auxiliary stereo input and one digital audio input. I have the digital audio from the Directv Genie DVR going to the digital input. I have the stereo audio from my OTA DVR/media player going to the auxiliary input. No sound to or from the TV. I use a MX-500 programmable remote (now obsolete) to switch between the audio inputs and change between the two HDMI video inputs on the monitor at the same time. The volume is controlled on the surround sound system using the same remote.

The programmable remote with macros makes the whole system simple. Same buttons control the play, fast forward, pause, etc., on the Bluray and both DVR's. Channel select is the same button for controlling both the Genie and the OTA DVR. That keeps it simple.

The Panasonic home theater in a box system is pretty compact, and easily fits in the cabinet to the left of the plasma. It is smaller than the DVD unit that came with the coach. I had to cut and splice to the existing speaker wires, but that was simple to do.

A sound bar under the TV like Dave mentions would be far easier, and forget about your existing surround sound system. Upgraded sound bars have wireless sub-woofers and some have wireless rear surround speakers for true surround sound if you want to go that far.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:16 PM   #9

Hi, Ken. As you suspect, there is more to this story and it is still ongoing. The tv replacement was only the beginning. And that was the easy part. I was able to control the sound with the Panasonic Home Theater setup that was originally installed but that nest of coax cables left much to be desired. Plus, I wanted to upgrade to hdmi connections to optimize the picture quality. It seemed so simple at first but I got myself deeper and deeper into this till I reached the point of no return.

The new tv eliminated the need for the vcr as a channel changer so I took it out along with the video distribution box. I installed an A/V receiver and a blu-Ray player. I tried to find the smallest unit I could that fit my budget. I still had to cut part of the rear of the cabinet away to fit it into the space.

I also purchased a new Dish receiver since the coach had a Tracvision dome on the roof. I haven't activated it yet but plan to shortly.

As I said, this is a work in progress so I'm still ironing out some bugs. Since I'm not the most tech savvy guy, there's a lot of trial and error. One criticism is that a lot of the equipment sold today does not have very detailed manuals. It seems that you are always expected to go on line to download information.

Many times during this odyssey I considered getting a professional to do this but I thought I could figure it out myself. It's been a learning experience and it's still not over. The biggest challenge seems to be that each piece of equipment has its own ins and outs to master and a remote control to go with it.
Old 12-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Mocha, look at the after market remotes. I have the Logitech both at home and in the coach. Once you identify the equipment you have the remote will do everything you need. When I push "watch TV" or "Watch movie" or "Listen to music" (you can set the names to what you want) the remote issues commands to each device. It turns them on, selects the parameters (input, output, etc) everything required to operate. In addition it stores all the information so if the remote looses it's brain you can reload it, you do NOT have to recreate it.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2015, 09:47 PM   #11

I agree, a good remote that will operate everything is the key!!!
Old 12-10-2015, 04:25 AM   #12

Thanks, Dave. Will definitely check this out. Having to deal with all these remotes is quite cumbersome.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #13

Mocha, When updating Video/Audio equipment, their is always "More to the story".
If I am not mistaken the Winegard video distribution box serves as the Television antenna booster or broadcast TV. Did you replace the antenna booster with a new one? I replaced the Samsung TV that would not control the Volume with a Visio TV
that has variable audio output for the external speakers. That part is working well now. Today I will try to sort-out the Coax Nest for the antenna system. Ken
Ken L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 11:10 AM   #14

Ken,

What model Vizio did you go with that had variable audio output for the external speakers?

Thanks.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote