Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2015, 06:18 PM   #1

ABS Modulator Assembly

Anyone with experience on the ABS Modulator Assembly? The ABS Modulator Assembly in my 2003 34 FDDS Alpine is leaking from the bottom plate. I believe that is what this part is? It is located in the rear middle of the storage bay. It has 6 brake lines that connect to it. I have cleaned around the sides and am fairly certain brake fluid is leaking out through the 1 or all 6 screws or around the plate on the bottom.

I wonder if that plate can be removed and resealed somehow? Has anyone ever pulled this plate off?
JeepPuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2015, 06:32 PM   #2

"Congrats"--believe you are the first Alpiner with a leaking ABS pump....could be wrong, but looks like you will be the trailblazer on this one--keep us posted. Unless the leak is significant, most owners may never notice the leak. The location of the ABS assembly in most Alpines [above the sewer tanks] makes periodic inspection almost impossible.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 07:04 PM   #3

How did I get so lucky? I will take a picture tomorrow. This pump is in the top rear of the main storage bay just in front of the sewer tank compartment. It leaks about a drop every time the brakes are pushed. There are 6 hex key bolts that hold this ~1" X ~6" plate to the bottom.

Old Scout - Have you ever bled your own brakes? I have a mityvac bleeder that has worked awesome on everything else I have owned, but I have not tried to bleed this Alpine using it. Was worried I need pressure bleeder to do it because it has ABS.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepPuller View Post
How did I get so lucky? I will take a picture tomorrow. This pump is in the top rear of the main storage bay just in front of the sewer tank compartment. It leaks about a drop every time the brakes are pushed. There are 6 hex key bolts that hold this ~1" X ~6" plate to the bottom.

Old Scout - Have you ever bled your own brakes? I have a mityvac bleeder that has worked awesome on everything else I have owned, but I have not tried to bleed this Alpine using it. Was worried I need pressure bleeder to do it because it has ABS.
The ABS assembly in the storage compartment can be a huge can of worms if it is leaking. After sealing the leaks, a software disc probably will be needed, along with a tech and the correct connecters/analyzer to get the modulator to push out the trapped air. I was unable to secure the correct analyzer when I needed one so a Kenworth shop along with my disc got the ABS modulator bled. good luck!

beagle
Beagle RC Air is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:54 PM   #5

Jeeppuller--sounds like Beagle is ahead of me with regard to dealing with the ABS module. Yes--I have bleed the brake lines on a number of Alpine coaches over the year, including my own. In doing a full four-corner bleed, I always "assumed" the fluid in the ABS was also being bled/exchanged. That is probably not the same as bleeding the module once air has been introduced, eg, replacing a seal or disassembly.

For the purposes of ensuring a complete bleed of the brake system, it requires that the wheels on all four corners be removed. It might be possible to bleed the outside calipers on the front wheels without removal but the rear wheel outside calipers are physically impossible to reach.

I just use a std manual/hand vacuum pump with a collection jar. Only trick is to ensure you close the bleed screws under vacuum when you have to empty the collection jar. Obviously, you also have to make sure the fluid level in the front bulkhead reservoir is maintained during the process. I begin the process by pumping out and replacing the old fluid in the reservoir before starting the 4-corner bleed. Normally, the process takes about 3 qrts of DOT 3.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 04:51 PM   #6

Thanks Beagle and Old Scout for the info and advice! It sounds like I will be looking for a shop in Albuquerque that can help. I really hate to pull this modulator and discover I can't bleed the system once replaced. I live on a hill with a very steep driveway that I can't even imagine having a brake issue on.

I will probably wait to do anything until after XMas. You guys enjoy the Holidays and I will post my results once I get it fixed.

Tags
abs