Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2017, 05:30 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
ABS warning on Silverleaf won't reset

Does anyone know how to reset the Meritor/WABCO box to clear this fault? I turned off the battery disconnects, unplugged the unit in the battery bay, waited about a minute, plugged everything back in, turned the batteries back on and still get the yellow bar across the top of the dash monitor. Have brand new sensors installed.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2017, 05:38 PM   #2

Greenmachine[Larry]--this one is right up you alley!!!!!!
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:02 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Oh, I see you have to have proprietary software from Wabco to clear the faults. Isn't that craptacular.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:11 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to greenmachine
Good morning, I'm drinking coffee and running though my mind on this. I checked from one end to the other on the 2003 Abs. I'm talking out loud here but you should be able to read the code and after you fix the problem the light should go out. What was the problem to start with? If the wheel sensors are still not adjusted right the lite will still be on. If you fix the problem the lite will go out and a code is in memory. On the front under the dash was where on the 2003 we could plug in the silver leaf. right beside it was a ABS plug and a set of toggle switches. If there was a code on it you turn ignition on and turn toggle on and the ABS lite would blink a code. That could be from way back or what is wrong now. Once you repair the problem the code stays there but the lite is out.If there's not a code there its the setting of the ABS sensors at the wheel. Now what changes they did for the 2006 I'm not sure. I would look in tech library or call Wabco. On the 2003 just because the lite is on doesn't mean you have a code. I have a friend in the School bus garage and I used there computer and tested everything. That program was for the 2003 but I think they made a change for the 2006. Other than the light driven you crazy, there's no slick ice to worry about sliding around. I'll look in the tech and see what they changed around.
Larry and Tammy
2003 38FD Alpine
2007 Jeep Wrangler with all service lights fixed. Death Wobble gone.
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #5

I took a brief ride in the Library. I think there the same as the 2003 but has a better code reader. You should be able to push the button for one minute and let off the light should blink the code. Also if you want more one on one to talk to, they had a number and it is 800 535 5560. If you have fixed the problem and the light is on ,the sensors are not set right on the wheel. Also you have to drive for the computer to reset itself. On the 2003 the sensor has to be pushed all the way in till it touches the rotor. The right way to do this is raise the wheel off the ground. Have someone turn the wheel and push the sensor in until you here it rub against the rotor. My problem is I know they have improved this from 2003 to 2006. I can't find it here. I also thought they tied this in to Silverleaf. If that is so then what I'm telling you is wrong. I would call that number and see what changes has been made. If there's no changes, you can message me and we can get into this deep.
Larry and Tammy
2003 38Fd Alpine
Old 06-22-2017, 09:30 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Kind of a side thought - I found a ABS control box on mine while looking for something else - it was up in the space next to the air cleaner behind the engine service panel. I thought that was a weird place for it and filed it away in my "random info" memory in case that ever gave me problems.
Jeeper64060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Back in business. It is the opinion of the repair techs that the Meritor/Wabco ABS ECU failed which caused the brakes to not release causing them to overheat. Looks like Freightliner did a 100% markup on the ECU so that was just shy of $1400. I have photos of the damaged parts they replaced in case anyone is interested.
Old 06-28-2017, 07:14 AM   #8

Todd, did you try to read the code before you took it to the shop? On the 2006 Abs sensors do they push in like they do on the 2003? I did a lot of checking on the 2003 Alpine because I was having trouble with the light and couldn't read a code. I was lucky enough to have excess to a computer at the bus garage for the school system. The first place I took it wouldn't touch it because it was a peak chassis and was scared I guess. I'm glad your going again and I know you would rather spend your money in other places. If there was something said by the tech that would help us I would like to know for further info down the line.
Thanks and Happy Trails
Larry and Tammy
2003 38FD Alpine
2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with know Death Wobble and service engine lights on
Old 06-29-2017, 09:54 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Larry, I had no way to read the code. The only indication was the yellow bar noting ABS within it at the top of the dash Silverleaf unit where "No Errors" usually is.

After replacing the rotors, calipers, pads, ABS sensors and the ECU and a full brake flush, a rescan with the Meritor software disclosed that one of the sensors was not adjusted correctly. After adjustment was made, they used the software to clear the errors and the ABS bar disappeared from the Silverleaf screen and the No Errors bar was visible.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:08 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2319.jpg
Views:	472
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	166876   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2320.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	166877  

Name:	IMG_2321.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	166878   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2322.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	166879  

Name:	IMG_2323.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	166880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2324.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	166881  

Name:	IMG_2325.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	166882   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2326.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	166883  

Name:	IMG_2327.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	166884   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2328.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	166885  

Old 06-29-2017, 10:09 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Last one
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2329.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	166886  
Old 06-30-2017, 09:15 AM   #12

Todd

Did you make a list of part numbers. If you did would you post them or PM me. I have seen part numbers from other model years posted but since we have the same year coach I would be confident yours would be correct.
Old 06-30-2017, 12:16 PM   #13

So.....what part of the brakes were bad? Besides the melted ABS sensors, looks like the piston gaskets/bushings may have swelled/crack open--perhaps due to moisture intrusion--common issue for Alpines [especially the rear axle]. Likely due to not maintaining brake fluid--need to flush and change every 2-3 years. In contrast both the pads and the discs appear to be in pretty good shape [perhaps hard to see in picture].
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2017, 07:55 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Rick,

They said three of our calipers were the same and one was different. Now, all four are the same. I did not get casting numbers.

Old Scout,

The photos don't show it but the rotors were blue in color from heat tempering the casting Who knows how brittle they have become but the brake experts deemed it wise to replace them.

We had Coach Care in Coburg flush the fluid before we bought the coach 3 years ago. Perhaps we should go to a 2 year flush schedule instead of 3.

The brake shop owner was kind when he said that since I'd driven the coach for three years and had descended steep grades in the past that it probably wasn't driver error.

The invisibrake had ceased to work prior to the incident and that may have contributed to the heat buildup.

Tags
abs