Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
AC Circuits not energized by Inverter

First time I've prepared to camp without shore power or generator and I noticed that there is no power to the AC circuits located on the kitchen counter and that's the primary circuit I'd like to power (coffee maker). What gives? Do I need to rewire that circuit somehow?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2010, 05:21 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
After you check the breakers in the main AC panel check the GFI recepticle in the bathroom.
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 05:22 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Greg,

If you're lucky you won't have to overthink this (like I did once). Make sure the Ground-fault isn't tripped by your bathroom sink. That would kill power to all the kitchen outlets...at least it did on my coach.
TerryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:24 PM   #4

Are you getting inverted 120v power elsewhere in the coach? If so, the GFI plug is a good bet. If not, double check that your inverter is on at the control panel and that the fuse at the inverter and the 120v breakers in the bathroom are all good to go.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are 3 common ways to install an inverter

small inverters (Under 1,000 watts) usually power JUST the television or radio and related electronics (Sat Receiver, DVD, VCR)

When we get into the 1500-2000 the kitchen is added (microwave/outlet)

Over 3,000 they sometimes add more stuff.

Are your sure your inverter is up to coffee in the morning?
Old 07-28-2010, 07:00 PM   #6

Hopefully somebody who owns or owned an 01-ish rig will chime in as the earlier rigs w/earlier inverters may have been wired differently.
The ACA Tech Library may have wiring diagram showing how the 01 (or a nearby year) is wired downstream of the inverter.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:13 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
So I checked the bathroom GFI and all is well, in fact it appears that the only outlets not working are the three in the kitchen. Microwave and Dishwasher work but no power to the outlets at the counter! I will look through the wiring diagrams and see if I spot anything or maybe Ill just pull the cover off the breaker panel and see what's up. Thanks for the input, I hadn't thought of checking that GFI.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:49 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
OK, found the issue....there are two AC panels behind the door, one is powered by the inverter (the small brown one) and the other is not (larger gray panel)...I'm going to try to rewire the counter outlets from the gray box to the brown box, wish me luck!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
What size is your inverter??
RJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:54 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Greg,

Did you find where the power loss is there? Is it just a bad breaker?
If you do re-wire like stated, you will have no inverter power to those outlets. An area that can cause your problem, if there is power out of the breaker box, are 2 junction boxes, one at each end of the power cord into the slide. I would trace the power at each of these boxes and check for loose wire nuts.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 03:25 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
My 2001 has power to the kitchen outlets from the inverter. I would be leary of rewiring as something must be wrong. I am positive that WRV was thinking of the coffee maker when they wired the inverter into the coach. It has to be something simple.
Old 07-29-2010, 03:54 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
It appears that the entire gray panel is not powered by the inverter, all circuits coming from the gray panel are dead unless you are running the generator or on shore power. I was successful rewiring the counter lead from the gray panel to the small brown panel and now all is well. Unfortunately, there were no spare breakers in the brown panel so I just paired it with another circuit.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:11 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
The gray panel is used for the power in from the gen and shore power. The inverter is fed from that panel and the power from the inverter is supplied to the coach thru the brown panel. When shore or gen power is available, the power is passed thru the inverter. The counter outlets are powered from the inverter in all of the Alpines that I have seen.
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #14

Check the gray panel "Inverter" breaker by turning it full off, then fully on. If it tripped for some reason it may look as tho it is on but be in the need-to-be-reset position. If it has any give at all when pushed toward the On position, it has likely tripped and needs resetting by full Off, then full On.

Tags
ac power, boondocking, counter outlets, inverter