Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Just acquired my first Alpine (2005 36FDTS) and I want to install a XM tuner for my XM ready pioneer.

How do you open/access the dash to locate the preinstalled XM antenna wire? Also, where have others located the xm tuner? Can it be hidden away somewhere inside the dash compartment?

Ultimately, I will probably go to a "pro" to have the tune installed but before I have someone tearing up my coach, I would like to know what has worked for others to guide the installer.

Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2008, 09:15 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Just acquired my first Alpine (2005 36FDTS) and I want to install a XM tuner for my XM ready pioneer.

How do you open/access the dash to locate the preinstalled XM antenna wire? Also, where have others located the xm tuner? Can it be hidden away somewhere inside the dash compartment?

Ultimately, I will probably go to a "pro" to have the tune installed but before I have someone tearing up my coach, I would like to know what has worked for others to guide the installer.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2008, 09:35 AM   #3

Remove the 2 panels in front of the passenger seat. You should find the antenna somewhere on the firewall behind the radio. I installed my XM tuner on the floor behind the inside panel.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 11:02 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
drameden,

Welcome to the Alpine Forum! You just bought what we all think is the best handling coach out there!

Start with the panel directly in front of the passenger. It's about 2.5 to 3 feet tall and about that wide. It is below the "dashboard". As I recall, ours has some carpet along the bottom few inches. Grasp the bottom in a couple of places and pull (it is velcro'ed in place) towards you, in other words, towards the rear of the coach. Then wiggle it around some, including left to right, and it'll come off in your hands.

The next panel to the left, towards the center console can be pryed back a little bit as it's rightmost, bottom corner is again velcro'ed in place. But, I don't think the whole piece is removable without tools.

After moving the above 'second panel' back just a bit, you can probably lay down on the stairs/floor and reach way back in there.

I found our XM coax all the way forward and directly centered. Unfortunately it was zip-tied in a bundle and I couldn't reach the zip-tie to cut it. I managed to wiggle enough of it free from the bundle to make the connection I needed though.

Our XM installation is one of those little XM units that is the size of a deck of playing cards. It is sitting on the dash, just under the bank of idiot lights.

While you're in there behind those panels, take a look at things. Ours has the Vansco panel with all the LED lights-eventually you'll want to know where this is; large lugs for plus and minus 12V for possible connection of ham radio, etc.; there is a connector (or 2) for the Cummins diagnostics port (a tech can hook his computer up to this port to download data from the engine and trans computers); etc.

Good luck, and come back often. By the way, what is your name(s)?

Cheers!
Mike & Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:07 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks. Found the XM wire. Worked perfectly.