Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2021, 09:58 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
AGS Install

I am looking for help installing AGS from my Xantrex 3012 and a duo therm thermostat to my 8KW Onan QD. Has anyone DIY'ed this. I have pulled the
gen start switch from the dash and started poking around and am a little confused by the readings Im getting from my VOM. So if anyone has already gone through this and could save me some time it would be greatly appreciated. I purchased this Alpine a year ago and the PO had the 3012 installed but did not install the AGS. The install manual shows about 15 different ways to wire it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2021, 12:22 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Gene, I also have an '09 and my coach has the AGS installed from factory. My AGS is hidden behind the Xantrex control panel, which is located in the cabinet above the entry stairs (I'm a front door). When I upgraded to the SW3012 inverter, I also had to replace the control panel and AGS module. It was as simple as plugging in the existing cabling to the new boxes, which went into the same locations. The wiring to the Dometic thermostat was already in place, and works fine with the new AGS.
Cinequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:50 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Scott, Mine did not have AGS installed so I am starting from scratch. Im going to have to run a cat5 or 6 cable to the inverter and a pair of wires to the thermostat. I am hoping someone on here can show me they way they wired everything and save me some time. The install instructions are kind of vague and when I started poking around with a volt meter I got some results that confused me even more.
Old 04-08-2021, 11:08 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Don't you have an SCP (System Control Panel) inside the coach somewhere? The AGS plugs into the spare RJ45 jack on the back of the SCP. Shouldn't have to run another cat 5e cable to the SW3012, if you have an SCP.

Just out of curiosity, what are the last 5 of your VIN?
Old 04-10-2021, 08:48 AM   #5

As Scott said the loom was standard and wiring should be where your inverter
Control panel is located. AGS on these was an added module and just needs to be programmed into inverted control panel
Old 04-10-2021, 11:23 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
AGS

Yes the xanbus connection is simply plug and play. I am going to have to run a cat 5 or 6 wire to either the inverter or the controller but that is the easy part. its the wiring from the ags module to the generator that is kind of a pain figuring out.
Old 04-10-2021, 04:39 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
The last 5 of my vin are 75816 one of the last ones made.
Old 04-11-2021, 07:59 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Gene, I have performed an conversion on my ‘03from the old AGS to the newer Xantrex AGS after replacing my Freedom 458 with an SW2012.

Your first step is to check the gen start switch wiring to determine if the individual wires are stamped with identification as to its purpose. My old AGS and the gen switch wires were both stamped on each wire for identification. I made a correlation table between new and old harness and then spliced accordingly. I may still have that table on my computer but can’t look until after church. I’ll let you know.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:56 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Thank you, I have my switch out and there are no marks on any of them. I also have the onan wiring diagram and the numbers on the diagram do not correspond to anything on my switch. I have a good idea which ones are which but I would hate to hook something up wrong and cause any damage to the Onan.
Old 04-12-2021, 11:32 AM   #10

On the wire loom wires there is stamped a number and normally a wire name about every 12” along the wires. This is the way these wiring harness was manf
The number will coorispond to numbers on alpine wire diagram. If you have alpine owners manual (usually gray folder) int wiring diagrams were folded in the back. They are also available on alpine coach association tech library. These looms were made for all coaches so the ags wiring should have already been in loom just not terminated or exposed at monitor location
Old 04-12-2021, 11:53 AM   #11

Photo

Sample of wire markings
These markings are every 12-18 inches along entire length of wire
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F0A95503-A682-4CA2-A6CF-AB5A161C22D7.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	245.0 KB
ID:	324725  
Old 04-12-2021, 01:45 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
AGS

This helped a lot. I had to dig out the plug from behind the dash and untape it but I found the wires are marked the same as yours. This was really all I needed. Guess I should have dug deeper. Thank you.

Gene
Old 04-12-2021, 06:17 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the VIN. You are the 2nd or 3rd coach from the end of the line. The owners of 75818 report theirs was the last one delivered before the doors closed. There are a few VIN's after that, but those were completed by others who bought partially finished coaches at auction.

I'm 75809.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:13 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Scott, My RV is kind of unique from what I have seen. They must have been running out of parts at the end. No power basement slides and no aqua hot. And no AGS..HAHA until now. I got everything wired and now just have to run the wire from the dash to the controller which is located towards the rear. Also have a front kitchen and a hallway to the bedroom. I am very happy with it though. Plenty of room for the 50 inch tv in the back. Custom made desk and dinette table. I am a tinkerer and have just about got everything fixed the way I want it. Just a couple more things to do.

Gene

Tags
ags, install