Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #1

Kind of stumped on this one!

After running just a few cycles (it seems) on the Xantrex AGS, we get the following Warning and no start:
Quote:
Warning: W204
Auto Gen Start
Manual Off: Max generator cycles reached
Reset AGS Mode
Then you have to go to the AGS mode and set it back to Automatic from Manual Off if you want AGS to work again.

But this seems to happen after just a few cycles. And I don't see anywhere to configure the number of cycles or anything.

What if you need the generator to cycle on and off a reasonable number of times while you are gone from the coach?

Any ideas?

Audrey
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2006, 01:07 PM   #2

Kind of stumped on this one!

After running just a few cycles (it seems) on the Xantrex AGS, we get the following Warning and no start:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Warning: W204
Auto Gen Start
Manual Off: Max generator cycles reached
Reset AGS Mode </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Then you have to go to the AGS mode and set it back to Automatic from Manual Off if you want AGS to work again.

But this seems to happen after just a few cycles. And I don't see anywhere to configure the number of cycles or anything.

What if you need the generator to cycle on and off a reasonable number of times while you are gone from the coach?

Any ideas?

Audrey
Old 07-13-2006, 07:29 PM   #3

Our 05 would only start 3 times with the AGS then it would go to the manual mode. After Xantrex reprogrammed it they said it would start 5 times before going to the manual mode. 5 times was the max number of times they could set it for. I have not tried it to see if it would start 5 times or not. It was updated in Oct. They may have some newer software now than they had when they done mine.
Rick
Old 03-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #4

Just an Update; according to Xantrex support, the AGS module still has the same limitation; this effectively makes the device useless, especially when tied in with the heating - A/C system. I can't believe that in four years they couldn't come up with a change to the Firmware. At the 2010 Tampa RV Supershow, Xantrex reported through a reseller that an update would be out in two months that specifically addresses this limitation. More than two months have passed and Xantrex Tech support and SouthEast Power Systems has heard of no such thing.
This continues to be an on going problem for people with brand new MotorHomes equipped with Xantrex AGS Modules. This is why I posted something 4 years after the last post...
nudist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2010, 08:55 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Someone told me Mangum Inverters are way ahead of Xantrex. I am researching them as a replacement when the Xantrex fails in my unit. The fan runs all the time, which I don't believe it should. I will let you know what I find out.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #6

Old, Mangum does have good customer service. My good friend and neighbor here in Texas, has one in his 07 Essex and it went out last year. He sent it to Mangum and they repaired it for NC even though it was out of warranty.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:46 AM   #7

Renipladlo, I believe there are 2 fans in the Xantrex, one of which runs all the time when it is turned on. That's normal.
johnwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:49 PM   #8

I just came up with 2 solutions for the max generator cycles reached. The first one is quick and dirty: Tape down the enter button from a blank screen. When max gen cycles is reached it will say "press to continue" and since the button is held down, it will auto reset and start counting again. The problem is that the SCP never gets to sleep mode since the button is held down all the time. The other solution is take the back cover off of the control panel, solder in 2 wires to the "enter button" contacts, then I built a very simple RC timer with 1 2200 uF capacitor, 1 diode, 1 resistor, 1 SPDT relay, 1 SPST miniature relay. I then ran B+ and ground from the generator start sense, to my RC timer, RC timer outputs to the SCP wires. On generator start, the SPDT relay clicks on, disconnecting the SPST relay and charging up the capacitor. On generator stop the SPDT relay closes, sending the power stored in the capacitor to the SPST relay which opens, closing the contacts on the leads from the SCP, effectively holding down the enter button for 10 seconds. The capacitor drains, the relay releases the enter button. Maybe not the most elegant solution but it works wonderfully and is so nice to not keep resetting the SCP manually.
karlc37 is offline   Reply With Quote