Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2014, 08:07 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
AGS System

i have ags on my xantrex system controll and also on my ac thermostat. do i have to have both turned on so the generator will auto start when the power goes out? 2006 alpine coach 40fd
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 08:19 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Without the AGS on it will not sense when there is a power demand, whether it be low battery or power loss at the pedestal.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:30 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I would suggest downloading a copy of the manual for the Xantrex model Inverter that you own and also downloading the manual for the AGS remote.

Then read the programming steps needed to allow your AGS to work correctly.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 08:54 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis,

Unless Xantrex changed the AGS since 2003 the "Auto" mode triggers a gen start when it senses battery voltage at our below 11.5V for 15 - minutes according to the manual. Of course this also means that "Quiet Time" is NOT involved. You really need to use the manual to configure it properly.

I have never had mine auto start because I was too "chicken" to let the batteries continue to drain once it displayed 11.5V. I let it go for atleast 15 - minutes while registering 11.5V on the system monitor but you have to keep in mind that the display is graduated in .5V increments. This means that it would display "11.5V" when the actual voltage is 11.7V because it's closer to 11.5 as opposed to 12.0. You would have to use a digital volt meter on the batteries to determine when it's actually reached 11.5V.

I have used the AGS feature on the A/C thermostat. Once it starts automatically you need to let it turn "Off" automatically. If you abort the cycle and force the generator to stop it will most likely display a red "Error" light. You can only reset the system by temporarily removing the large connector on the AGS System (inside an upper cabinet next to the controls), waiting approximately 30 - seconds, and then reconnect it. This information came from Xantrex Technical Support. Again, read the manual to determine exactly how the "Auto" feature is supposed to operate.

Hope this was helpful ...
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2014, 09:04 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
The low battery voltage setting is programmable.

11.5 VDC is WAY too low before having the AGS start up the generator.

It should be programmed to 12.1 - 12.2 VDC based on the chart in this document.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

I have attached the programming steps which I use for my Xantrex/Trace RV-2012 Inverter & RC7-GS Remote.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Files
File Type: doc RC7-GS Programming List.doc (28.5 KB, 76 views)
Old 09-29-2014, 09:35 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
lets say i have the ags auto on and also on on the ac thermostat and i leave and the main shore power goes out shouldnt the generator auto start so my ac will run because we have pets and want to make sure there us constant power
Old 09-29-2014, 09:42 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennismhamm View Post
lets say i have the ags auto on and also on on the ac thermostat and i leave and the main shore power goes out shouldnt the generator auto start so my ac will run because we have pets and want to make sure there us constant power
Yes the genny should start whenever the thermostat calls for AC and shut down when it is no longer needed and the battery bank is at full charge. It will cycle on and off as needed.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:40 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Just to be clear ...

The Xantrex AGS system does NOT have a programmable voltage parameter for triggering and automatic start. Here is the information out of the AGS manual:

The Low Battery set point is around 11.5 VDC. The battery voltage must stay at or below 11.5 VDC for 15 - seconds (not 15 - minutes as I incorrectly stated previously) before the AGS will start the generator.

The RC7GS is a Remote Control Panel for specific models of Inverter/Chargers and appears to include AGS functionality. I've only seen "AGS" identified by Dennis and not an RC7GS. It's relatively important to know which solution is involved in the thread.
Old 09-29-2014, 03:06 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
And if one wants to get the most accurate information then it would be common sense to post what model Xantrex Inverter and what model remote they have so that people can be more specific with the information that they post.

My Xantrex/Trace Inverter came with a RC7-GS remote. It can be programmed exactly as I had posted. And I stated exactly what models I had.

If the OP has a different model Inverter and a different model remote then my apologies for posting information that doesn't pertain to his model.

BTW, I stand by the fact that 11.5 VDC is way too low for a set of house batteries to be depleted before charging them back to full charge. If the batteries are depleted that deeply it will shorten the lifespan of the set of batteries. Do as you please, your batteries, your money.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-29-2014, 03:12 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
11.5V must strugle just to turn over the Gen.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:22 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
The Xantrex AGS system does NOT have a programmable voltage parameter for triggering and automatic start. Here is the information out of the AGS manual:

The Low Battery set point is around 11.5 VDC. The battery voltage must stay at or below 11.5 VDC for 15 - seconds (not 15 - minutes as I incorrectly stated previously) before the AGS will start the generator.

The RC7GS is a Remote Control Panel for specific models of Inverter/Chargers and appears to include AGS functionality. I've only seen "AGS" identified by Dennis and not an RC7GS. It's relatively important to know which solution is involved in the thread.
If you are allowing the battery bank to drop to 11.5, (20% SOC) it will stratify/sulfate the batteries, reducing their service life.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:33 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
i cant seem to figure this out. just thought that the generator would start up automatic if the shore power went out and run the ac or heat and frig and when the shore power came back on then the gen would shut back down. i have the xantrex set on gen auto start and the ags on the ac thermostat set to on. i looked at a xantrex manual online but didnt say anything about the generator.
Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
also will the house batteries run the frig if the shore power is off?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:35 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Guys, I agree with all your comments! This is why I initially stated that I was "too chicken" to let the batteries go down that far to test the AGS. I get nervous if the batteries get to 12.0 VDC let alone 11.5 VDC. However, if we boondock (such as at Quartzsite) with a "Quiet Time" imposed from 10 PM to 6 AM then the batteries get very close to 11.5 VDC based upon the monitor panel. Since replacing my Inverter/Charger with a Freedom SW2012 model I've not attempted a boondock session. This is why the DW & I don't care for boondocking. There's enough things to worry about when hooked to shore power.