Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2019, 07:08 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
Dean,

I don’t find them not aesthetically pleasing. Newmar runs them from the factory. The Brisk II is also a more efficient unit than the low profile Penguin II. The Blizzard is almost $300 more a unit, and it’s just as tall as the Brisk II.

I’m not trying to save the front unit (which works) due to the complications mentioned. I’m looking to replace both units and the thermostat. This way I’m working with the new technology.

Using Dometic seems to be the way to go, as I don’t want to run different wiring and replace Air Distribution Boxes that nothing is wrong with.

I’m just trying to find Alpine owners that have done it to get their take. Everything I’ve read and seen makes it seem like a job I can do myself. Just figuring I would get everyone’s take.

The Blizzard pricing includes the integrated control board. The Brisk II has a separate control board (which can be installed under the shroud) and accounts for about $125 of the price difference.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2019, 07:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Dick,

How tough was the job? Is it as I’m imagining it; pretty much plug and play?

Thanks in advance.
Hambone, easy for me, Bobby Vodden at Junction City, OR did the install in about 3-4 hours. With the Penguin II's, don't know about other models, required new thermostat which is much better than original. That may have been required because of HydroHot, but well worth the $115.00, far superior to older model.
Birddog Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 08:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog Pilot View Post
Hambone, easy for me, Bobby Vodden at Junction City, OR did the install in about 3-4 hours. With the Penguin II's, don't know about other models, required new thermostat which is much better than original. That may have been required because of HydroHot, but well worth the $115.00, far superior to older model.

BTW, depending on the interface to the HydroHot, a new matching controller may be required (for communication to the new CCC2) .... another $125.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
The Penguin II has the same base (inlet outlet location) as the older DuoTherm and the original Penguin. The Brisk II and Blizzard have different outlet locations as compared to the Penguin II.
Bruce it bolts from the bottom, I believe. When you say inlet/outlet is different, does this mean that ducting won’t work with the Brisk II? My ducting is sheet metal.
Old 02-03-2019, 10:21 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybyrd View Post
I might mention the air distribution box on my ‘03 required mods also. The outlet from the Brisk II does not align with the ducting inlet.
It is not a plug and play swap. An air duct kit is offered and I was under the impression that this kit adapted the Brisk II to the duct work in the coach. This was not the case. The kit contains a new face plate with a sliding divertion plate that blows air directly into the area directly below the unit or into the duct.
Steve, can you elaborate on the modification needed to make the Brisk II work with our ducting?

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2019, 01:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Bruce it bolts from the bottom, I believe. When you say inlet/outlet is different, does this mean that ducting won’t work with the Brisk II? My ducting is sheet metal.
Steve can probably help with the mismatch. What I meant was the discharge ports are in different locations. In this pic, the Brisk 1 is the same as a Penguin/Duotherm and the Brisk II is the same as a Blizzard. This view is as if you tipped a unit up from the front and looked at the bottom of the A/C unit. On the Brisk II and Blizzard, the cool discharge is offset to the passenger side.
Old 02-03-2019, 02:42 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruceisla View Post
Steve can probably help with the mismatch. What I meant was the discharge ports are in different locations. In this pic, the Brisk 1 is the same as a Penguin/Duotherm and the Brisk II is the same as a Blizzard. This view is as if you tipped a unit up from the front and looked at the bottom of the A/C unit. On the Brisk II and Blizzard, the cool discharge is offset to the passenger side.
So I'm guessing I probably need to utilize the Penguin II, unless I want to make substantial changes to ductwork?

Thanks for all the helpful feedback Bruce!
Old 02-03-2019, 04:38 PM   #22

Quote:
So I'm guessing I probably need to utilize the Penguin II, unless I want to make substantial changes to ductwork?

Thanks for all the helpful feedback Bruce!

You are welcome!
Changes may be simple ... I'd wait for Steve's comments.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:03 AM   #23

...if you have your heart set on a Brisk Air unit, I wouldn't give up yet....WRV "designed" the ducting in the ceiling to accommodate the Penguin II--conditioned air is directed down to the transverse ceiling ducts via a small metal plenum; return air is pulled up to the unit, un-channeled, thru the 14x14" opening in the roof. There is not a lot of room to work/fashion a new plenum--but am sure it could be done.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #24

Tommy,

You may recall from my previous thread that we had our rear A/C replaced last year with the Penguin II. It required the new circuit board for the front unit to resolve communication issues. It also required the purchase of a drain kit. We do not have Hydro-Hot on the coach.

I did not do the work myself. As a DIY project my personal preference is to take on a task that requires the least amount of excess fiddling. The new unit provides more cold air with less noise than the old (front) one and I have yet to seal up the gaps on either unit as recommended in another thread. We’re happy with the new A/C and when the front unit fails it will be replaced with a Penguin II.

Bob
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...if you have your heart set on a Brisk Air unit, I wouldn't give up yet....WRV "designed" the ducting in the ceiling to accommodate the Penguin II--conditioned air is directed down to the transverse ceiling ducts via a small metal plenum; return air is pulled up to the unit, un-channeled, thru the 14x14" opening in the roof. There is not a lot of room to work/fashion a new plenum--but am sure it could be done.

Yup ... probably not a big deal. My Newmar required adaptation. I used A/C ductboard that's available in Lowes or HomeDepot.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:27 AM   #26

I installed a new Brisk Aire II last year. It lasted one summer before losing its refrigerant. They had a problem with leaking evaporators or condensers. I don't know if it's been resolved.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:35 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
I installed a new Brisk Aire II last year. It lasted one summer before losing its refrigerant. They had a problem with leaking evaporators or condensers. I don't know if it's been resolved.

Dometic had a bunch of problems across the product line a few years ago. That's why I chose the Brisk II over the Penguin II. I have no idea if the problems are resolved. Extended warranty is a good investment.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:23 PM   #28

Alpine Owners Club
I wish I had consulted the forum before I bought the new topside. There is obviously much more knowledge here than the distributor I bought my unit from.
Now I feel they sold me what was on the shelf rather than the parts made to replace what I had. Buyer be ware huh?
I did in fact build a new plenum to make the transition from the new topside to the ducting.
I will source a new control board.
I greatly appreciate the input Gentlemen.
I know how to proceed now.
Thank you, Steve
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, air, air conditioner, replace, replacement