Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #1

Air Dryer

Where can a new air dryer be purchased from and how difficult is it to replace?

Larry 2004 40' MDTS
anthem4us is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2012, 05:56 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Larry,
Quick answers:
1. Most anywhere that carries truck parts and supplies will have them or can easily get them. Haldex offers two different types, so know which one you need. A knowledgable parts guy will be able to help.
2. If you have the tools and are fairly strong it's not too bad. As they say, "It ain't rocket science".
Old 09-17-2012, 08:24 PM   #3

Here's a thread w/more info.
You can find more on air dryer stuff using the search feature from the forum home page.
Old 09-18-2012, 03:59 PM   #4

I purchased mine online from NAPA and picked it up at my local store.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Not much can go wrong with them. Filters can be changed. Heater can be replaced.
Air Plunger can be replaced.

Still using the 14 year old OEM on my MH.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4us View Post
Where can a new air dryer be purchased from and how difficult is it to replace?

Larry 2004 40' MDTS

Larry, what kind of problems are you having??? I have a 99 Alpine, the former owner put a drain valve on the air system located in the far rear compartment. I am a retired trucker, accustomed to dealing with air systems, If the filter is full, it will not absorb any more moisture. You can determin this by draining your air system, if it spits out more than just a very breif spray, you may need to replace the filter. If you can access the dryer, its no big deal to replace the filter and or purge valve. When the compressor reaches its max air pressure, the purge valve will spit, and the compressor will shut down. An air governor regulates the compressor cycles. On an 04 model, unless you have alot of miles, your filter should be ok. On my trucks, they were usually good for 300,000 miles or more, dependding on weather conditions. Hope this helps, old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:29 AM   #7

A year or so ago, I tried [repeat] tried to order a new dryer filter from a sales tech at Bendix [think the 03s have a bendix filter]. Anyway, the tech asked me what symptoms I was having [eg, excessive water or oil in the daily air drain]. I told him neither so he said he would sell me one if I wanted but it didnt sound like I needed it. Sometimes you have to resist temptation to "fix" something and leave well enough alone--a lesson I relearn almost everyday.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote