Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2016, 12:50 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Air whistling at the front door

Has anyone had the problem with air whistling at the front door after around 60 mph? Trying to figure out how to stop it. any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
dennismhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2016, 08:07 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ok, I can't resist, drive slower than 60mph,lol
Seriously though, I would check your weather stripping for damage. If none is found, have someone pull in on the door while it is happening. If that stops the noise, adjust the door latch to tighten the door seal.
Dsallach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #3

i had somewhat same problem. i had a plastic piece in front of the door hinge that acted like a wind / rain diverter when driving 65 mph it would flap and make lots of noise, had it replaced with a full length metal angle iron and what a difference. no wind noise.. your problem could be same or slightly the same..
Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 08:21 AM   #4

If mine whistles I can't hear it for the wind noise in the drivers side window.

Have you tried adjusting the mirror? Just a thought, it might change the air flow a little. Don't know if it would work but you could turn the A/Cs on high, close all the vents and windows and try to force air out. Maybe use a little soapy water around the door gasket.

One other thought would be to have a buddy tape the door closed, once you're inside, try to seal the front edge of the door all at once or sections of it and go for a drive. Try to eliminate the noise and find the area of the leak. These types of problems lead you to grasp at straws.

Mine seems to be pretty well adjusted and the wife has never mentioned any whistle. Good luck and please keep us posted on what you find.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 09:42 AM   #5

Mine whistles also under certain conditions. It is coming from the upper left hand corner of the door as viewing it from inside. Hasn't irritated me enough to pursue it yet.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:32 AM   #6

My drivers side window also whistles when traveling around 60 mph. The door had a rattle & wind noise also, I was able to spot an area were the pivot point of the door limiter was tapping against the inside of the door frame, nice and shiny. I decided to put some rubber trim there and along the top of the door frame. This stopped the rattle and helped eliminate some of wind noise. Now the driver's side seems louder!! Haven't figured that one out yet? Hard to drive & trouble shoot at the same time.

Ralph 2005 Alpine 40FDQS

Thanks
Old 12-06-2016, 07:01 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis, the door has rubber waffle striping around and over the hinges. Tomorrow once it is light out I will send you pictures of ours, (should be the same, 2005 FDTS), you should have the same set up.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
DrDaveMA, i sure would appreciate that! Thanks
Old 12-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #9

DrDaveMA - Would you post one of those pictures to this thread. Thank You
Old 12-07-2016, 09:31 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
If mine whistles I can't hear it for the wind noise in the drivers side window.

Have you tried adjusting the mirror? Just a thought, it might change the air flow a little. Don't know if it would work but you could turn the A/Cs on high, close all the vents and windows and try to force air out. Maybe use a little soapy water around the door gasket.

One other thought would be to have a buddy tape the door closed, once you're inside, try to seal the front edge of the door all at once or sections of it and go for a drive. Try to eliminate the noise and find the area of the leak. These types of problems lead you to grasp at straws.

Mine seems to be pretty well adjusted and the wife has never mentioned any whistle. Good luck and please keep us posted on what you find.

Terry
Terry, that is really a very, very good idea. I will be doing just that to try and identify something that sounds like a clarinet at 70mph.
Ken
kgchampagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Dennis, high today was 27, forecast tonight is 12, tomorrow in the 30's so will try to get photos then, sorry for the delay, it's been too cold to hold door open for more than a few seconds.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:47 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
DrDaveMA, No problem. Keep warm and i appreciate the help.
Old 12-10-2016, 12:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph0808 View Post
My drivers side window also whistles when traveling around 60 mph. The door had a rattle & wind noise also, I was able to spot an area were the pivot point of the door limiter was tapping against the inside of the door frame, nice and shiny. I decided to put some rubber trim there and along the top of the door frame. This stopped the rattle and helped eliminate some of wind noise. Now the driver's side seems louder!! Haven't figured that one out yet? Hard to drive & trouble shoot at the same time.

Ralph 2005 Alpine 40FDQS

Thanks
I had a whistle going on at the drivers window.
Found the fix by plugging the drain holes along the bottom of the window frame with silicone.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Air whistling at the front door

Dennis, here are a few pictures, the first shows the weather stripping that was added by Kemo at WRV trying to reduce the wind noise, it goes about half way down the door. The door has a seal that runs from top to bottom that is actually on the door and runs outside the added seal when the door is closed, the seal that was added is on the frame and actually goes over the hinges.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1481477100.404467.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	146440

This photo shows the added waffle seal running over the hinge.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1481477128.295223.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	146441

Here another picture to help you "see" what they did.

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1481477145.964109.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	146442

We are in Santa Fe, NM parked outside so the contrast on the pictures if kind of tough. I will try to take some as it gets dark this afternoon, let me know if you have any questions, or want other pictures. I took these with my iPad, if you need better ones I will get out the Nikon.

Tags
door