Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2021, 05:26 PM   #1

Alpine 40’ Solar hooksup

Hi I have the 2 solar panels on the coach

My batteries are not staying charged

I took the two wires that hooked to ybatteies off and measured 12v
But the positive wire was hooked to the negative terminal on the chassis battery and the negative on the house battery negative. I thought it was not right so I hooked the negative wire to the negative post on chassis battery and the positive wire to positive post and it sparked and now on 12vdc from the wires coming from the solar panel power controller box in the coach. Please help thank you
Owlhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2021, 05:41 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlhh View Post
Hi I have the 2 solar panels on the coach

My batteries are not staying charged

I took the two wires that hooked to ybatteies off and measured 12v
But the positive wire was hooked to the negative terminal on the chassis battery and the negative on the house battery negative. I thought it was not right so I hooked the negative wire to the negative post on chassis battery and the positive wire to positive post and it sparked and now on 12vdc from the wires coming from the solar panel power controller box in the coach. Please help thank you
If you are only getting 12V from the circuit that won't charge anything

You need to work back from the wires to the solar controller and measure there and eventually at the panels..... your panels should be putting out around 17-19V and the controller should be outputting around 13-14.5V.

If you are not seeing this kind of voltage you either have a panel, wiring or a controller problem.......... you have the measurement at the output, I would suggest you work your way back to the controller, then up to the panels and see where you are having the issue.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2021, 07:01 PM   #3

I think you have two issues.

Paul answered the first, mainly that 12v is not adequate to charge the batteries.

Second issue is you probably fried your controller, or popped the fuse, so now you have zero voltage reaching the batteries. Check the fuse on the wire from controller to batteries. With luck, that is all you need to replace.

You did not mention if the batteries were ever charging with the solar arrangement so we don’t know if the wiring was correct.

Remember, many battery banks are wired both in series (+ to -) and in parallel (+ to +, - to -) so the og wiring you changed could be correct.

A picture of your batteries and the location of the OG solar wires will help greatly.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar