RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-15-2020, 11:26 AM   #1

Alpine Apex slide leaking

I have a 2006 Alpine Apex and it appears that the bedroom slide cylinder is leaking. How can I reach it to repair or replace it or the hose?

DAHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-15-2020, 12:57 PM   #2

...first, it could be the slide cylinder or the hose connections so need to verify that. If its the cylinder, the effort is pretty extensive. To the extent that your 2006 is like my 2003: 1-remove mattress and the plywood top of the bed frame to fully expose slide mechanism; 2-extend slide 2/3 open and detach end of piston/ram from outer wall of slide; 3-retract ram now that slide is disconnected from it; 4- remove the nylon guide on the cylinder tube, on top of tube, at the foot end of bed; 5- now the scary part--raise the top half of the tube up, which will tip the top of slide out [don't worry, slide will not fall out of slide opening; 6-now, you have access to the cylinder and the hoses connected to the cylinder.....good luck, keep us posted.....
PS--I have pictures of this process--they should still be out on this forum if you do a search...

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:34 PM   #3

Does your bedroom slide contain the bed or a closet? Alpine offered both (at least in 2003).

Very different access.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:25 PM   #4

….pretty sure the 2006 APEX was a 40ft with cross-slide bed--but could be wrong....also think if a vanity or wardrobe slide, they are scissor mechanism so cylinders are are fairly easy to get at....
Old 01-16-2020, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
Does your bedroom slide contain the bed or a closet? Alpine offered both (at least in 2003).

Very different access.
The bed room is street side, the coach is a 2006 Alpine Apex fdqs.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
.pretty sure the 2006 APEX was a 40ft with cross-slide bed--but could be wrong....also think if a vanity or wardrobe slide, they are scissor mechanism so cylinders are are fairly easy to get at....

Thanks Old Scout, yes it has the cross slide bed. Couple or more questions will the cylinder self bleed? how do I get to the other 3 slide cylinders? Is there only one cylinder per slide? What type of fluid does the HWH system use?
Old 01-16-2020, 03:14 PM   #7

wow--lots of questions [smile]….1- yes, cylinders self-bleed by actuating stop to stop; 2- the vanity slide in bed room is a scissor so two cylinders, one on either side of slide in the bedroom, mounted vertically, behind wood trim on wall next to slide [not much room to work]; main slide on drivers side--has two cylinders and they are inside the tubes that hold the slide extension arms in place [equally hard to get to as bed slide; don't own a quad slide model so don't know much about it. 3- HWH sells their brand of fluid--find at RV dealers or CW. Or you can use ATFII[difference is HWH is clear and ATFIII is red in color--HWH wont stain things if spilled] Good luck....
Old 01-17-2020, 01:25 AM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Alpine Apex slide leaking

A couple of other things about the HWH system on Alpines. You check the fluid level with the slides in. Folks will tell you to have the jacks up also, but that really does not matter, but it may be easier to remember to have everything retracted.

Second, it is an open system, that means the returns from the cylinders dump into the reservoir. What that means to you is that it is self bleeding, if you get a slow leak at a cylinder, your first indication of a problem may be a low fluid level. You should check the level periodically, remove the reservoir cap and put something like a pencil or screwdriver into the opening. Some caps have a dip stick molded in them, but either way will work. Next time you are able, stop at an auto parts store and get a pump. They have a pump that screws on to a quart container with a long hose attached, it looks like the pump on a soap bottle with a long hose, but it will make your life a lot easier. The level should be about 1 from the top. The Apex uses hydraulics in more places than a Limited, so more chances for leaks. All of our coaches are getting older so expect to start to see leaks at the connections. There are o rings in those connectors that are aging, they need to be replaced. One other thing WRV did, in the 2004 - 2006 range they were making their own hydraulic lines. They used a hose and connector that is prone to leak. So if you see a drop of fluid up to 12 from a connector it is actually the connection that is leaking, the fluid runs in between between the hose and the protective coat making you think the hose is bad. When you replace a hose, and a good hydraulic shop can do that, make sure the hose is exactly the same length. The HWH system has multiple cylinders and they need to extend/retract equally, otherwise slides could get jammed.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 05:46 AM   #9

OOPS--one minor correction.....the slide cylinders are bi-directional so slides in or out doesn't impact much on measuring fluid level....the jacks are one-direction so extended jacks would affect fluid level in reservoir.....
Old 01-17-2020, 09:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
A couple of other things about the HWH system on Alpines. You check the fluid level with the slides in. Folks will tell you to have the jacks up also, but that really does not matter, but it may be easier to remember to have everything retracted.

Second, it is an open system, that means the returns from the cylinders dump into the reservoir. What that means to you is that it is self bleeding, if you get a slow leak at a cylinder, your first indication of a problem may be a low fluid level. You should check the level periodically, remove the reservoir cap and put something like a pencil or screwdriver into the opening. Some caps have a dip stick molded in them, but either way will work. Next time you are able, stop at an auto parts store and get a pump. They have a pump that screws on to a quart container with a long hose attached, it looks like the pump on a soap bottle with a long hose, but it will make your life a lot easier. The level should be about 1 from the top. The Apex uses hydraulics in more places than a Limited, so more chances for leaks. All of our coaches are getting older so expect to start to see leaks at the connections. There are o rings in those connectors that are aging, they need to be replaced. One other thing WRV did, in the 2004 - 2006 range they were making their own hydraulic lines. They used a hose and connector that is prone to leak. So if you see a drop of fluid up to 12 from a connector it is actually the connection that is leaking, the fluid runs in between between the hose and the protective coat making you think the hose is bad. When you replace a hose, and a good hydraulic shop can do that, make sure the hose is exactly the same length. The HWH system has multiple cylinders and they need to extend/retract equally, otherwise slides could get jammed.

Thanks for the info, this is a new coach to us and I have a lot to learn. The coach sat for 5 years so a lot of things can go bad. I did not know that when I bought it but we really love the floor plan.The Silverleaf system had a couple of glitches that have been fixed and I hope the Vansco does not go south. Now I saw a trail of fluid coming from the back (bed) slide. As soon as it gets out of the body shop, (couch section flew out of a pick-up right in front of us), I will tackle the leak.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:47 AM   #11

DrDave said to make sure the hose is exactly the same length .
I have to disagree, each coach may be different?
No offense Dave, might have been one hose for all coaches?
My coach is a 34ft. If I remember right, there are two or three hoses connected together to mate up the bedroom slide to the pump.
I found the hose in the chain that is located right next to the lower engine area and runs up over the top of the radiator and through the floor to the cylinder was bad. The failure was the fitting on the end of the hose under the coach near the engine.
What I found was a 360 + degree loop in the hose before it connected to the next hose. This caused a lot of side force on the fitting.
What I did was disconnect the hose and formed a 180 degree loop for a “strait in” connection relieving the side stain on the fitting. Then reducing the length by this given amount and that has held up for 10 years so far.
I used a local company in san jose ca, called Royal brass to build the hose. There’s a company in every town that builds hoses every day.
This was a common problem that many of use had.
Not a real hard job to replace
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 07:56 AM   #12

….think there is a bit of "apples and oranges" in this discussion.....the OP has a 40ft with a single cylinder bed slide that is in question....most 38s and shorter models have a fixed bed amidships and the slide on the driver's side of bedroom is a wardrobe--sometimes includes bathroom sink. Regardless, this wardrobe config has a scissor mechanism with two cylinders.
So the differences are significant: 1- the single cylinder bed slide is bi-directional and has just two hoses that enter thru the floor under the bed; 2- the single cylinder is buried inside the halves of the bed slide tube so access is a challenge. The wardrobe slide config has two bi-directional cylinders, an equalizer tube, 4 hoses [two for each cylinder] and because its all located above the radiator stack, is susceptible to heat damage. Length and loops in the 4 cylinder hoses tend to impact the wardrobe config but they doesn't exist for the bed slide config so no impact.
Old 01-18-2020, 08:18 AM   #13

PS--so the point is: the bed slide has just two set of hose connections--2 on the cylinder and 2 under the bed frame to connect the short hose run from the cylinder to the long hoses that go back to the pump--hopefully the OPs leak is the long/short hose connections--easier to access and fix, unless a hose replacement is needed.
The wardrobe config has multiple connections, eg 4 on the cylinders and 6 on the equalizer tube.
Confession--I have never actually seen the equalizer tube for the wardrobe config but am very familiar with the e-tubes for the vanity slide and the main room side.
Old 01-18-2020, 02:42 PM   #14

more on hydraulicsHe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
PS--so the point is: the bed slide has just two set of hose connections--2 on the cylinder and 2 under the bed frame to connect the short hose run from the cylinder to the long hoses that go back to the pump--hopefully the OPs leak is the long/short hose connections--easier to access and fix, unless a hose replacement is needed.
The wardrobe config has multiple connections, eg 4 on the cylinders and 6 on the equalizer tube.
Confession--I have never actually seen the equalizer tube for the wardrobe config but am very familiar with the e-tubes for the vanity slide and the main room side.
Hey Old Scout, my Apex 40 is probably the same as the one in question, and on my vanity, curb side, the equalizer tube is located in the upper fwd. corner of the battery compartment. Yours in same place? Also, as with our 36' which had a wardrobe streetside, they both used the scissor mechanism, and neither one of them will extend until the surrounding trim is flush with the wall. Do you know why that is?
Dudley Do-Right, '06Aperx40mdts

Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, slide