Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2015, 09:23 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to greenmachine
Alpine coach questions

I have a 2003 38FD Alpine Coach. The high speed on dash is not working.I checked the resistors out inside the front slide and seemed to be ok. I was looking for a diagram can't find one. What could be left fan switch? Is there a fuse for each speed? Could use some help. I read a sheet on these that they all had antenna's on roof for CB and Radio. I didn't see any on this Coach.
Thanks
Larry
Alpine Coach 38FD 2003
greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2015, 09:46 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Hello and Welcome to IRV2 and the Alpine Forum.

I am going to guess that you are talking about fan(s). Are they the ones overhead or the HVAC?

If you go to the Alpine Coach Association's Web site and go into the technical library you will find the wiring diagrams.

As for the CB antenna it should be on the roof next to the Air horns and radio antenna. The cable for the CB is coiled under the dash. :thumbup:

I hope this helps.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #3

Thank You, the dash fan is where I'm having trouble. High speed. I couldn't find anything in the tech on this issue.
Thanks again

Larry Pate
2003 38FD Alpine Coach
Boston Ky
Old 02-25-2015, 12:59 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
It could be a bad dash switch and the replacement for the Heater A/C control panel Part # Delco 16238475, since the motor is working that may not be the problem but I would check the voltage at each setting at the fan motor itself before changing the switch. The part number for a Replacement motor from NAPA is 655-1076.
Old 02-26-2015, 06:01 AM   #5

Dave, I found a relay box on firewall and there was a blown fuse for high speed fan. I don't know what caused that yet but I'm in the ballpark.
I have a problem with the cruise control. When you have the cruise control on and apply brakes it does not kill cruise. The governor kicks in and picks up speed. I see that new brake controls have been installed for electric brakes on trailer. I don't know what wire is cruise control.
Thanks for all your help
Larry Pate
Alpine Coach 2003 38FD 350 diesel cummins
Old 02-26-2015, 10:46 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Larry, it sounds like the cruise control will not cancel when you step on the brakes. The problem is probably the brake light switch is not operating. Check to see if your brake lights are working by having some step on the brakes and someone check the brake lights on the back of the coach. If not working replace the brake light switch.

Your Alpine the Brake pedal should go through the floor, if it does the brake light switch is located under the coach on the Bell Crank. If you look under the coach, you will see the Bell Crank for the Brake pedal to the Master Cylinder. The replacement brake switch part number is NAPA # 701-1606.

The fuse blowing for the fan could be caused by a fan motor going bad by pulling too much amperage or a corroded connection in the fuse block or connection. Replace the fuse with the proper fuse clean the connections and if it blows, again it is probably the motor will need to be replaced. Replacement Fan part number is NAPA 655-1076.
Old 02-26-2015, 01:49 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Larry, a couple of things,

1) if the cruise control can be turned on AND off by the switch on the steering wheel, it should be OK, if not you need to look at the Smartwheel.

2) you said "new brake controls had been installed" I would disconnect any wiring to the brake switch (restore the original/OEM connections) it sounds like someone screwed up the cruise control when they wired the trailer brakes.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 04:23 AM   #8

Thanks Dave
As soon as the snow melts around here I'll crawl under her and see what I see. Thanks so much Dave.

Larry & Tammy
2003 Alpine 38FD 350 diesel
Old 02-28-2015, 08:32 AM   #9

Dave are you getting tired of hearing from me? I'm new with the Alpine Coach and really like it. I have the owners manual and I'm confused. The head lights and running lights comes on when you turn the knob on the dash. Then there's the driving lights that turn on the fog lights. On the knob that turns the head lights on also can be pulled in the head light position. What does that turn on? On my truck it turned on the fog lights. But they call the driving lights the fog lights. This coaches fog lights are burnt out I need to replace them. Thanks Dave with all your help. I was a HVAC mechanic for years and I can understand the diagrams but finding info is hard to do.
Thanks
Larry
2003 Alpine Coach 38FD 350 Diesel.
Boston Ky
Old 02-28-2015, 09:55 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Alpine coach questions

Larry, welcome to Alpine ownership and IRV2🎉 you will find most people here very helpful. Be careful, some of the replies you get could be from SOB's (some other brand), the way Western RV did things was sometimes different then other manufacturers and that could lead you down the wrong path.

Go to the sticky at the top of this forum (Alpine Register) and let Milt know your SN and where you live, he is updating the owners list. If you have not done so already, check out the Alpine Tech Library (again in the stickies above) it is real helpful!

I bought this coach new in 2006 and have never tried pulling out the headlight switch, see you can teach an old dog new tricks. Maybe someone else knows what it does. I will try it once it gets dark and let you know what it does, my guess is that it turns on the high beams, but that is just a guess.

I had a stone break one of the driving lights a few years ago and I went to my local NAPA to purchase a fog light. They are standard sizes and screw onto a bracket inside the generator cover.

Old 02-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #11

Not only are SOBs a poor source of information sometimes; owners of newer Alpines can also be a problem for us older coach owners. WRV was fond of changing things within model year--nevermind the differences between older and newer models. Some of the largest changes/differences occurred between 2003 and 2004 when WRV went to adjustable brake pedals and Vansco modules for wiring/communications. Many more differences arrived with the APEX model and the various engine models used by WRV, starting with 2005s.
The fog/driving light switch for the 03 should be on the panel next to the Allison key pad on the left console. Not sure, but dont think pulling/clicking the switch knob on the 03 headlight switch does anything--later on, I think it turns on the overhead interior dash lights.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 01:54 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Alpine coach questions

Old Scout is right, I have a 2005 38', FDTS manufactured 9/04 with a Cummins 400, Vansco modules, adjustable brakes and thus far I have not had the steering bracket issue. It was manufactured late/early enough I did not have the huck bolt problem either and it was not one of the Cummins recalled engines. I do have a slow leak in the radiator, if I drive 6+ hours a day I need to add about a pint every other day. Thus far that has not been enough to get me to layout $5k+ to replace the radiator, I just check the coolant and oil every day while on the road (not a bad habit anyway).

Old 02-28-2015, 07:38 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Hello Larry, No problem you can ask all the questions you want, we are here to help. As for the headlight switch does nothing when you pull the switch when the headlights are on. This feature was not used by WRV. The Headlight switch is from FORD Part # F81B-11654 AG.

WRV installed Hella 500 Driving lights not the Hella 500 Fog Light. The replacement bulb for the driving light is “HELLA 005750411 500 Series 12V/55W Halogen Driving Lamp.”
Old 03-01-2015, 05:40 AM   #14

Hey, everyone you have just about took care of my issues on my new baby. I have been replacing a lot of bulbs to see what works and what doesn't. I will go to led when I have everything figured out. This summer, I have some clear coat fixing to do. I'm getting ready to pull head lights and clean and see how water is getting into them. We were coming back from Baton Rouge and turned headlights on and couldn't see the road. So we pulled off to Walmart for daylight. I like to stay busy but this has to slow down. The other thing I notice nobody blew me off the road. The wind didn't move her either. Great Coach! Thanks everyone for all your help and I'm sure I'm not done yet.

Larry Pate
2003 Alpine Coach 38FDDS 350 Diesel
Boston Ky.