Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #1

Well I did it! I posted my first photo in the photo area of irv2.com. I was out camping in the Johnson Valley Off Highway Vehicle area in the Southern California desert with friends riding motorcycles. As usual, the Alpine performed well except for an imbalance in the ratio of water to solids it the toilet. Nothing that a snake and plunger wouldn't fix. Below is a link to a picture of our camp site.
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/8...3357-small.jpg

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 AM   #2

Well I did it! I posted my first photo in the photo area of irv2.com. I was out camping in the Johnson Valley Off Highway Vehicle area in the Southern California desert with friends riding motorcycles. As usual, the Alpine performed well except for an imbalance in the ratio of water to solids it the toilet. Nothing that a snake and plunger wouldn't fix. Below is a link to a picture of our camp site.
http://www.irv2.com/photopost/data/8...3357-small.jpg

Old 02-27-2008, 08:16 AM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Tom,

Great photo, looks like a lot of fun was had.

Just a note as to the black tank issue. At the Desert Rat Rally, Dixie caught one of the TP rolls that was thrown out to the group. The TP was the kind from Costco, which we do not use in the RV. Since it was supplied at the rally, I thought that someone knows more than me and used it. On my next dump, I found the tank to flow very poorly, almost plugged, and required many flushes to clean out. This was with only one roll on a almost full tank.

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 10:33 AM   #4

I, too, had a 2000 36 FD model. The imbalance was always a problem if I used anything but RV TP. Mine would plug up as it entered the tank. Factory folks thought that there might be a glob of glue in the bottom joint that would hang things up. After we stopped using even single ply, no more problems.
lundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 11:54 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Please excuse me if my ignorance is showing, but isn't RV t/p all single ply? The comforts of home allow for a 2 ply.
Again, allow for my lack of t/p espertise, but is there a difference in regular single ply vs RV t/p??

J.S.Eddy, 2003 38' FDTS
2000 Saturn LS S/W. toad.
J.S.Eddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 12:12 PM   #6

I just did a quick search on the web and found many people prefer Scott's single ply, septic safe toilet paper to the RV brands. They say it dissolves quicker than the RV brands and is less money. Tonight I'm going to take a sheet of each and stir it in a glass of water to see how long each takes to dissolve.

I'm also going to try the GEO Method instead of putting the typical RV chemicals in the holding tanks.

Old 02-27-2008, 12:20 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Tom,

I failed to mention in my last post that Scott's single ply is what I normally use. It seems to dissolve very well, I never had the clumps of paper before like the Costco brand did. Free is not always better!!

Dale
Had: 2007 Limited SE 40fdts
dgerstel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 04:50 PM   #8

Tom, welcome to my part of the world. I was over at Means Dry Lake last week for a rock-crawling event on Friday called King Of The Hammers. This is off Boone Rd, near Landers. There was also a motorcycle race way out on Bessemer Mine Rd put on by the Checkers MC. From your picture, I think you were off Camp Rock Rd in an area called Cougar Buttes, but not sure.

For your TP problem, just use more water in the toilet.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:32 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Tom & Laurel,

Now that is our idea of getting away. Nice spot, that looks like our type of campsite. Where is it exactly
Old 02-28-2008, 06:00 AM   #10

If you copy and paste these coordinates into Google Earth you will see where I was camped.

34?29'34.80"N 116?49'32.62"W

Tom

Old 02-28-2008, 06:03 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by dgerstel:
... At the Desert Rat Rally, Dixie caught one of the TP rolls that was thrown out to the group. The TP was the kind from Costco, which we do not use in the RV. Since it was supplied at the rally, I thought that someone knows more than me and used it. On my next dump, I found the tank to flow very poorly, almost plugged, and required many flushes to clean out. This was with only one roll on a almost full tank. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Hmmmm, At Albuquerque, my wife and I searched high and low for single-ply TP to be thrown out at the rally. The only kind we found was packaged in 12-24 packs (not individually wrapped). It would have made for a real fun "TP session" (thinking back to my high school days!) Even Walmart didn't have enough of the RV TP for our rally!

Back on topic, the Costco indivually wrapped TP that we finally chose (and bought again for DRR), is labelled "septic safe", but it is 2-ply. At least the Costco TP being thrown out is single rolls, as compared to the 4-pack that were previously thrown out to the TP "hungry" crowd. So if your a full-timer and don't want to use it, at least you're only throwing away a single roll.

I suggest either more beer or more wine, and do not "disappear" around the back side of those bushes when boondocking. All of that will help to keep the liquidity of the black tank higher.

BTW, Tom, that is one awesome camp spot on those rocks!!
Jeff_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #12

Tom,
we are currently camping at the KOA in Barstow, a stones throw (if you got a really really strong arm ) from there. My question is, where are the electric and water hookups? On the backside of the coach where I cant see them in the pic???

seriously, looks like a great place!!
hrhuggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:57 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Lindenberg:
If you copy and paste these coordinates into Google Earth you will see where I was camped.

34?29'34.80"N 116?49'32.62"W

Tom </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, that is the area called Cougar Buttes. Had some pretty good winds over the weekend, but really nice the last few days.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 07:03 PM   #14

Looks fun! I had a Husky 510 and just sold it a couple years ago (must be getting old.)

BTW, thanks for the ride height info!

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote