Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2020, 11:25 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Alpine Radiator Coolant Tube Enhancement

A simple project turned into a BIG project... I noticed that the coolant tubes were rusting in some areas. Since the coolant was due for a change, I decided to sand and paint the tubes and add a couple of extra coolant site glasses in the expansion tank at the same time. As I started this, one thing lead to another and I ended up doing the following:

Replaced water pump with an updated new style version / replaced the engine thermostat and belt tensioner

Replaced the cracked exhaust manifold, exchanged the turbo (waste gate valve was frozen and turbo oil seals were seeping) went with reman unit

Added gate shut off valves on the engine for the heater core

Reinsulated the doghouse area over the engine and inside wardrobe closet

Replaced the L/Neville alternator & D/Remy starter with new style gear reduction version (This model makes it much easier to reach the top starter bolt as well)

New s/steel flexible exhaust hose and Nelson OEM muffler (still sounds great!)

I’ll try to send some separate threads for some of that work. Many of the links I found in the forums were “old” on some of these subjects.

I started by trying to sand the rusted areas on the coolant tubes but found it difficult to clean well. We have a Redi-Strip vendor here in Chicago that uses an electrostatic process to remove rust w/o sand blasting (less metal loss this way). I checked on just getting the tubes remade locally but found it pricey. Redi-Strip charged $ 105. for both tubes (upper and lower) I then took them to Rino Liner for coating. They coated the outside on all but the last two inches on each end of the tubes. They charged $ 100. I used black epoxy paint for the uncoated portion. The Rhino coating will be more resilient to stone chipping and maintenance free. New Gates hump hoses and ball gate valves for the heater core shut off were done at the same time. One valve is placed inside the frame rail by the oil filter. The other valve was placed outside the frame rail, on the opposite side, by the air cleaner. Both are very easy to reach and operate. I added new silicone heater hoses from the engine to each valve and kept the existing heater hoses to the front of the coach. That can be a future winter project. I used thee old hump hoses as wrap for the coolant tube protection anywhere other hoses / parts come into contact with these tubes. Just used a cutter to trim and cut the rubber to size. It was ideal to solve the issue where HWH leg spring rubs the lower coolant tube just behind the driver’s side rear duals.

Working by myself it took about one week, 3-4 hours each evening. It turned out great and am really happy the repairs and preventative maintenance are DONE!

Click image for larger version

Name:	9BC5E844-DC36-4E09-A6E5-1C94660BFA68.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	297373

Name:	95E62692-B185-430C-B52E-1B0D91F91AC8.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	111.2 KB
ID:	297374

Name:	C69D59B9-1BA8-402E-8437-96A7BFA3821C.jpeg
Views:	44
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	297375

Name:	5AE1D655-0294-4715-879E-900896CFC67F.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	297376
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2020, 04:16 PM   #2

Bruce,
that looks really nice !!!
My coolant pipes look just as rusted and I am contemplating what to do. The paint flakes off and takes rusted chunks of metal with it. I am worried about a leak.
Also the shut off valves are on my agenda, any parts you used (vendor) would be very helpful and appreciated.
Joerg
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 09:14 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I’ll get some additional photos and details for you this weekend when I’m back at the coach.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:22 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine06 View Post
Bruce,
that looks really nice !!!
My coolant pipes look just as rusted and I am contemplating what to do. The paint flakes off and takes rusted chunks of metal with it. I am worried about a leak.
Also the shut off valves are on my agenda, any parts you used (vendor) would be very helpful and appreciated.
Joerg

If you are concerned about the rust causing a leak I would suggest you shop for a good price on a new pipe instead of just covering up the eroded thin wall parts. My lower pipe had ugly rust so I had a radiator/muffler shop make a new one for me and it was less than $150 for everything needed. I primed and painted it but if you like the look of bed liner you could still go that way too.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:36 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
If you are concerned about the rust causing a leak I would suggest you shop for a good price on a new pipe instead of just covering up the eroded thin wall parts. My lower pipe had ugly rust so I had a radiator/muffler shop make a new one for me and it was less than $150 for everything needed. I primed and painted it but if you like the look of bed liner you could still go that way too.

That is a fair price. My worries are like you described I don’t know how much metal is left. Once I get the coolant out I will take the pipes to a muffler shop and see what they offer.
Also the coolant reservoir needs some tlc.
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 07:53 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Just to be clear I only had a lower pipe made for that price. My uppper pipe was in much better condition.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 08:40 AM   #7

….agree--both inside and out, condition of the base metal of the pipe is the question....primary location of the coach--eg, north vs south and degree of exposure to coastal salt air or winter road conditions.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator