Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #1

Alpine RCA HD Directv Receiver

Hi All,

It is beginning to look like my RCA HD receiver is giving up. I have a Winegard Travel'r roof dish that locks on to 101, 110, and 119 but the receiver displays no signal strength. Even the bedroom tv says "searching for signal" using it's own receiver. I tried my external portable dish and got the same result--no signal. The cables to the A/B switch have been checked as well as the cabling to the back of the RCA. Sometimes the receiver will work and other times, it stays stuck on "finding satellites" forever. Then some days it fires up as if nothing is wrong (specially when I take it to my service group).

Does anyone have a recommendation for a replacement HD receiver (if I have to buy one)?

sdcyclist
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:24 PM   #2

Only Direct Tv makes this receiver now. Call them they will most likely replace it for free
Old 03-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #3

I just had Direct TV replace my RCA reciever. I must admit it was a nightmare. They do not know anything about RV's. We have a Kingdome and it will not get HD with Direct. The systems are not compatible. My RCA still worked but I wanted a DVR. The reception is much better with the new standard reciever but the installer could not set up the DVR to tape while I watch another program. Direct says to take it to a RV dealer they can't do it.
Traveling Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #4

If you want to use two tuners to watch one program while watching another (unless you mean to watch something already recorded) you will need two coax cables from the satellite dish. Directv would be fools to try and run a second coax through an RV and connect to that wiring rat's nest. They aren't trained for that. (Neither are many RV techs!) I did it and it is worth the effort.
Old 03-16-2012, 10:47 PM   #5

I have a Kingdome on a 2005 Alpine and it has a dual LNB. Did your coach come with 2 receivers originally? If you go on the roof and look in the connection box and see 2 coax cables going into the coach then you have to find the unused coax cable and hook it up to your DVR. HD DVR from Direct TV will work with non HD Kingdomes.
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 11:02 AM   #6

Counting the coax connections at the satellite dish is definitely a first step. My '04 came with one coax and one receiver. The Kingdome had a dual LNB as Nick states, but the second one was not used.

I have three of the DIRECTV HR23-700 HD DVR's between the house and the coach. They work fine, and did work with the Kingdome while I had it. Be aware when you "buy" the receiver you are actually leasing it. I bought mine online instead of acquiring it through Directv. That way I could chose the model number. If I went through Directv I would have gotten whatever model they happened to have. I wanted the HR23 model since it didn't require a B-band converter, which other models required at the time. But that was 3 years ago. It appears to have been replaced by the HR24, which I know nothing about.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #7

Nick,
I did have and do have two receivers. I have the low profile HD Kingdom on my 2006 Limited. I do not know if it has 1 or 2 LNB's. I am not sure I want to open the box on the roof to find out how many coax cables I have. I assume if I have 2 one goes to one receiver and the other goes to the second reciever.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #8

You don't need to open the box. You will see the coax connections visible on the Kingdome base, plus the control cable connector. You will see either one or two coax connections, that is your answer. If only room for one coax connection on the dish, it isn't a dual LNB. (but I doubt that will be the case.) If you see room for two connections, it is a dual LNB. If only one coax, you can add a second coax for the second tuner on a DVR, or a second receiver.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:36 PM   #9

If you have 2 receivers I sure you have a Dual LMB. You will need to split one of your coax input and run it to your DVR and hook up the other coax from the receiver your replacing to the other input on your new DVR. Each coax cable gives you a different channel, one to view and one to record.
Nick Escamilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 05:23 PM   #10

You can not split a direct tv lnb input you need to add a 2X4 multiswitch which takes the 2 lnb outputs and increases them to 4
Old 03-18-2012, 06:45 PM   #11

Thank you for the input. We are going to the Goodsam Rally in Phoenix on Wednesday so we see if we can follow up with the information you have provided. I expect Kingdom to be there not sure about Direct since Dish is a sponsor.