Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-26-2019, 02:23 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Alpine roof needs replacement

I am in serious trouble, last year during a hail storm we had major damage on our roof. Transwest in Fountain, Colorado replaced our roof with some kind of rubber material. On the edges, that wrap around the roof they used some thin metal that is worse than Aluminum foil. The work took almost 7 months and when we finally got our coach back, the first time we took it out the roof came up. It sounded like Fred Astaire was having a dance party up on the roof. We took the coach back to Transwest and they repaired it. When we took it again on a road trip the same problem occurred. The roof came up and now it is back in the shop. One of their technicians told me they may have put the underlying material on upside down. Not sure if that is possible. Now they are thinking that the material gets air from the front cab of the engine. And just now I got a call from Transwest that no one makes the size fiberglass that we need for our roof. Can anyone tell me where we can get this material? it needs to be 111 to 114 inches in width and 40 feet length. Transwest is telling me that only one company in the United States makes fiberglass roofs for RV's. Crane industries. The Fiberglass Roof manufacturer is Crane Composites out of Illinois. We need dimensions of between 111"-114" wide X 480" long in an RV Roof Flexible Filon sheet. Please help. Any suggestions welcome. Has anyone on here had to have their roof replaced? Our coach is a 2004 FDTS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3eaad909-2cf2-4eb0-b422-180975a9ede6.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	254752  
crischapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2019, 12:10 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Sorry to hear about your roof problems several years ago while at a Rally I attended a seminar about roofs the company that presented the seminar was RV Armor the product look good and the owner said they provided a life time warranty. I have never used them but it did look like a good product.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:14 PM   #3
3x5

I don't know about replacing fiberglass.

I have a friend who recently had his roof done by RV Amour, and he was very happy with the results. Included lifetime guarantee too.

I had a rubber roof stripped off and sprayed with a version of Rhino Liner. It was fantastic, and I highly recommend it. It was done by San Diego RV Center in El Cajon, CA. I think with fiberglass, they can just spray it right on the old roof, no matter how damaged it is.

Good luck.
Old 07-30-2019, 10:06 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
The original roof was made up of 8-10’ section joined into one piece, not a single 40’ piece. I suspect a good fiberglass guy should be able to repair the fiberglass pieces of your roof, although they might need to do something with the repair already tried.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 07:21 AM   #5

Crischapy,
the rubber roof is a much inferior solution to your fiberglass roof. It is like trading a Mercedes for a VW. You will have constant maintenance on that type of roof going forward.
In case your insurance paid for this repair I would not acept that solution.
If you cannot gat a fiberglass roof then my recommendation is the spray on solution mentioned above. It builds a 1/4" structual layer on top of your existing even broken roof that one can walk on one minute after it is sprayed on. Very sound solution, but it can only be installed in a shop no mobile guys can do it.
also there is no caulking anymore to worry about. Check it out:
https://rvroof.com/
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 02:16 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Crischapy, what have you done?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:26 AM   #7

Oh no.

That was the wrong solution.

Short of replacing the entire roof, it should have been repaired the same way you would repair a boat hull—grind down the gel coat to expose bare fiberglass and then repair each hail-damage hole/dent with new resin. Then go over it with new gel coat or even a good quality epoxy paint.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, replace, replacement, roof