Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #1

Alpine suspension upgrades

Is just me or did I blow it? I put new Koni's on at the Pomona FMCA Rally and after the rally went to Redlands Truck and RV to have SS motion control valves installed,Safe T Steer unit ,ride height adjusted and new Michelin tires installed (after finding out the couch was sold to me with 2002 dated tires) as well as replaced the master cylinder with a new one and flushed the old brake fluid.The rig stops much better a+, no more porpoising a+, less side to side sway a+ ,but it seems to ride rougher and the safe t plus does not seem to help it track better a-.I got to admit the roads in Southern Cal. suck, especially coming over the grapevine and parts of I-5.This by the way is on a 1999 36MDS couch.Is there a break in time for all this stuff to settle down and work correctly?Maybe I'm over-steering with the Safety Plus unit? Any input would be much appreciated.
Ramblinpete.
Ramblinpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
The safety plus causes the steering to be a little different. You will get used to it. The shocks will be a little harsh at first but will improve some over time. Check that your tires are not inflated more than necessary.
JLMunsil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 11:21 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
I second what Jim says regarding tire pressure. I've had rough riding every time I've replaced the tires. When they put on new tires they typically put in 100psi or more of air. Check the tire manufacturers web site to find out what the correct pressure is for the weight you have on both front and rear. Running a little over that amount gives you some additional cushion for weight shifting but too much will make for a stiff rough ride.
Old 12-20-2015, 09:48 AM   #4

So if my tires are over inflated then putting on new Koni 99 shocks will not help our ride?
bobbi2063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 04:03 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbi2063 View Post
So if my tires are over inflated then putting on new Koni 99 shocks will not help our ride?
Certainly, BOTH affect ride quality.

But the Koni 99's will help.

Proper tire pressure will also help.

Brett
2003 Alpine 38FDDS
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
suspension, upgrade