Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2019, 09:11 PM   #15

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks Jim...! Got your email and I’m on it. This Alpine support group is like one big extended family. Great support — The BEST...!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2019, 11:46 PM   #16

I'm glad this post got bumped.

We've had our Alpine for less than a month, so I can't buy everything right away, but this is saved on Amazon.

You would think a $190 expense would be nothing, but we need a toad. As of today, we're looking at a gladiator. I want this, but....
This toad is gonna cost me 2/3 what the house did!
Hayduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #17

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Jim & Max: would you mind attaching those files to this thread - there's a little paperclip icon in the box where replies are entered and you can attach any files to the thread right there.
I am seriously thinking I may return the VMSpc and get the Bluefire and would like to know those cool settings are available here. Would really appreciate it, best regards.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofyziggy View Post
Jim & Max: would you mind attaching those files to this thread.
Here is a screenshot that shows what the dash is supposed to look like. (The NA's become the actual reading when you are connected to the adapter.) The actual dash file would not load on here. Send me a PM with your email and I will email it to you. You can also download custom dashboards from the BlueFire Dash Repository within the app itself. (One of those is an earlier version of my dash. I have since gone to the night mode.) The app is free to download on Apple, Windows 10, or Android. Try it and see if you like it.

There is another thread on the Newmar Owner's Forum about BlueFire as a replacement for VMSpc with more suggestions for dash setups. Many of those are for newer coaches that have more info available on the diagnostic port than I have available.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190918-092513.png
Views:	45
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	260868  
Old 09-19-2019, 10:39 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HamboneTHW View Post
I run VMSpc (module installed by previous owner) on a Windows 10 tablet that I had shipped to my house for $96. Runs on a USB charger.
Ditto. The 10" tablet rests in a metal channel (PO made) ahead of the left side gauges and very readable.
I find two issues:

1) the data display lags 2-3 seconds. Not sure if the USB speed or a highly taxed CPU is the cause, but not a big concern. I like confirmation of CC set speed and status.

2) while not an issue originally, the fuel quantity, which IS important to me (along with range, etc. computation) zeroes out repeatedly. It is very difficult to reset while driivng and I consider it unsafe practice.

I intend to reinstall the software, hopefully, fixing #2 and have considered a newer, faster tablet. M/S based choices seem very limited in similar form factors.
Old 09-19-2019, 10:43 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
I'm glad this post got bumped.

We've had our Alpine for less than a month, so I can't buy everything right away, but this is saved on Amazon.

You would think a $190 expense would be nothing, but we need a toad. As of today, we're looking at a gladiator. I want this, but....
This toad is gonna cost me 2/3 what the house did!
It can be rather costly to read this forum!! I have had 15 years to buy stuff for the coach. Buy things as you need them.
Old 09-19-2019, 04:10 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepirot View Post
Ditto. The 10" tablet rests in a metal channel (PO made) ahead of the left side gauges and very readable.
I find two issues:

1) the data display lags 2-3 seconds. Not sure if the USB speed or a highly taxed CPU is the cause, but not a big concern. I like confirmation of CC set speed and status.

2) while not an issue originally, the fuel quantity, which IS important to me (along with range, etc. computation) zeroes out repeatedly. It is very difficult to reset while driivng and I consider it unsafe practice.

I intend to reinstall the software, hopefully, fixing #2 and have considered a newer, faster tablet. M/S based choices seem very limited in similar form factors.
I had two main issues with VMSpc. The first was that Silverleaf didn't support Bluetooth on the J1708 data bus, therefore requiring a wired USB connection. The second was that it only worked on Windows, severely limiting the tablet options.

I also had the #2 problem with my VMSpc, running on a cheap Netbook Windows 8 tablet. Every couple of minutes the fuel reading would go to zero along with all the calculations based on it. Very annoying, but at least mine came back after 15-60 seconds with no resetting. I have to admit that I was still using the 2.5 version of VMSpc, as I could not get any of the 3.x or 4.x versions to work properly with my setup.

The BlueFire app fuel reading does not drop to zero. Everything on my dash works as expected. (The screenshot above was taken when the Android tablet it was not in the coach. The cruise control icon and the set speed only show when it is turned on.)

The readings probably lag a little, but less than 1 second. Not an issue.
Old 09-20-2019, 03:03 PM   #22

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
THANK YOU JIM for sharing this XML file for BlueFire. The problem uploading to irv2.com is one of limited file types and size. For that reason, I'm uploading it on this post and changed the file extension:
to: ***filename***.xml.REMOVE_pdf_extension.pdf

to open it, just download it, remove everything after .xml (ie: ".REMOVE_pdf_extension.pdf") to make it an XML file, now open it.

I hope this helps others, Im excited to try it out when i get my BlueFire next week. THANKS AGAIN Jim!!!!
Old 10-29-2019, 04:11 PM   #23

I am very curious about Bluefire, but, I am also pretty technically challenged when it comes to tablets etc. I am however thinking I'll take the plunge and move kicking and screaming into the 21st century.

I'm wondering what size tablets you guys are using, I want to be able to see things at a glance, is an 8" screen big enough or is 10" a better choice? Bigger than 10"? I'm thinking it would sit nicely right in front of the steering wheel on the little ledge. I would like your thoughts now that a few of you have had a chance to use it. Thoughts??

Thanks, Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2019, 08:46 PM   #24

Terry,

I am using an older 10" Android tablet (I already had it and wasn't using it anymore in favor of a newer one, so no additional cost), the same size screen as the Windows computer I was using for VMSpc. I have it mounted a little farther away than you are planning, just beyond the hump from the instrument panel and a little off to the right. It seems about the right size to me. But an 8" tablet may be sufficient with the location you are thinking of using.

There are lots of customizing options with BlueFire. You can use digital displays, circular analog gauges, and linear analog gauges, either vertical or horizontal. Personally, I didn't care that much for the linear gauges.

The BlueFire app also allows you to build a screen with multiple pages that you can scroll. Mine is far enough away to make scrolling difficult, so I didn't use that feature. Your '05 might have more data available on the data bus than I have, so you might consider using it.

No regrets buying it.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:28 AM   #25

Also run a 10" RCA tablet (Win10) that sits in a custom narrow channel with attach points to the dash retaining screws (P.O. did it), siting ahead of the left gauges. I find I rarley look at the stock gauges and really like kknowing the cruise control status and speed setting, plus the large digital displays of other data.

I lack affection, however, for either the slowness of the RCA or the software's limitations
Old 10-30-2019, 10:49 AM   #26

Alpine Owners Club
Re BlueFire tablet display — I’m using an Apple 9.7 inch iPad Pro as the display. A special thank you to Jim A for his tutelage and help setting up the display template for my iPad. BlueFire is now working as advertised...��
Old 10-30-2019, 10:55 AM   #27

At least it is free to try the BlueFire software on the RCA tablet, and it does overcome some of the limitations of the VMSpc software. You just can't see how fast it updates with real data. Then decide if it is worth buying the adapter to actually try it. But you still have the issue with the slowness of the RCA.

I never did try BlueFire on my cheap Windows tablet. It wasn't worth the effort. I was happy to not have to use it any more!
Old 10-31-2019, 09:13 AM   #28

I'll check with the kids and grandkids and borrow a tablet or two and see if I can decide on a size. I think I was imagining that an 8" tablet will be too small but then it dawned on me that the pic that Jim posted is perfectly clear and isn't all the big.

Once I get this all figured out I will get things ordered and go from there.

When I was working I was adequately computer literate, but, I threw that part of my brain in the trash as I walked out the door for the last time.

Thanks for the info,
Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote