Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2013, 05:47 PM   #1

Amana frig quit

New problem of the month. Day before a trip my Amana frig quit cooling. The lights come on and its humming but no cool air. Any ideas?

Thanks, Doug
nssracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2013, 05:59 PM   #2

Could be a refrigerant leak. Time for a new Norcold! If the gas leaked off it is toast. Or could be a bad compressor. Anyway if it is a residential fridge just get another just like it if you can so it will fit in easily. Fixing a residential fridge is almost a thing of the past. Most coil leaks are non-repairable.
KSCRUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #3

Probably if it not cold at all you have other problems. When I had trouble with my Amana, it was the circulation fan behind the freezer compartment. It would not circulate the the cold air. It was an easy fix, just remove the the freezer shelves and the back screws holding on the back cover.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:50 AM   #4

New Frig

Doug, Replaced mine three years ago. Found a new one a local appliance store had to do a slight mod to top of cabinet. The new one runs on half the power which is great when dry camping.
Looking 2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:27 AM   #5

I had the compressor replaced on ours 4 or 5 years ago. The repairman did it inside without taking the fridge out because it would have to be taken out through a window.
Wil Rathke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 06:14 AM   #6

Fridge update

After calling 3 appliance repair shops and hearing we dont work in motorhomes, finally a nice man came out and fixed my fridge....for now. All of the coolant had leaked out. He refilled and said it will leak back out. So I will need a new fridge, hoping this one gets me through the race season and I will replace it this winter.....always something with these RVs....
nssracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #7

The Amana in my 03 started leaking freon about two years into our adventure. Like you, I found a repair guy to add a schreader valve--he added some freon and some "stop-leak" and its been going strong for the last 7 years...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote