Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2016, 04:43 PM   #1

Question Angle eye headlight wiring problem

When the previous owner upgraded the headlights he installed the E39’s with angle eye low beams. Despite having tried several times I could never get both the low beam and high beams aimed so that they provided a good pattern. I have driven a couple of E39’s with the angle eye system and both the low and high beam patterns provided great visibility. After researching the BMW forums I found out that the angle eye design that BMW came out with in 2000/2001 was designed so that when the high beams were turned on the low beams would also stay on. Unfortunately my 2001 is wired in the conventional format so that when the high beams are turned on the low beams are turned off. Seems to be a real good possibility of why there is a problem of getting the pattern correct. From comments in other postings it appears that WRV may have changed this around 2003 or 2004. Just speculation here on my part, but it may be that that the pre-Vasco coaches are wired conventionally and that the Vasco units are wired to have all 4 of the headlights on when the high beams are on. I am sure that someone knows when the changeover was made by Western.

So my question is, has anyone encountered this problem and if so does anyone have a solution? I have searched the forum extensively and cannot find any mention of this problem.
SC Alpiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-14-2016, 05:03 PM   #2

You may be correct--I installed the Angel-eyes on my 03 [pre-vansco] but haven't paid much attention to light patterns. Frankly, I did the install for cosmetic reasons only--as I rarely drive at night anymore. Kind of guessing here but think one option would be to install diodes like they use to wire toad lights. That way, you could feed the low beam bulb from either the low beam power or high beam power, with no feedback between each other. Result, low beam would come on with low beam switch but would stay on with high beam switch--I think?????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:00 PM   #3

My low beams give out a "bright white," (bluish) light that comes from a high voltage source and a "soft white" (yellowish) light for the brights. I wouldn't think that, since the colors are different, they would both be on at the same time when the bright lights are enabled.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #4

I believe the diodes should work and would be a quick fix. I am going through the wiring schematic to see if there would be any issues doing that. I installed the diodes on my toad (Honda CR-V) and they have worked great. I will update as I make progress.
Old 04-15-2016, 11:58 AM   #5

Thinking the diodes could work but wonder if there is an upper amp limit on them. Tail-lights don't draw many amps but suspect headlights do??????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #6

Up Date: Headlight wiring problem solved

I now have the Angle eye headlights operating the way BMW designed them, all 4 on when in high beam mode. I also was able to align them so that they provide very good visibility. It is great to finally be able to see especially on the roads around here. South Carolina does not believe in shoulders. It’s the white line then the ditch. I built an alternate circuit which was relatively easy and inexpensive. One feature is if I ever wanted to go back to the original configuration all I have to do is move 2 wires on a terminal strip. I installed the new circuit in the corner to the left of the battery VEC so everything is handy and protected from the weather.

I have wiring schematics, parts list with coast, and pictures of the instillation. I also have a generic headlight alignment procedure I used that covers both of the US alignment versions and the European standard.

Also I have information on the various E39 headlights available. In the FYI category, there are both US and European lights being sold in this country and technically the Europeans are not legal in the US but I know of a lot of E39’s using them. I don’t think anyone ever checks.

If anyone is interested I will post any or all of the information. Just let me know.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:59 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Please post away.....
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 07:17 AM   #8

Yes, please post. I'd like to see what you've done.

Thanks!

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 07:34 AM   #9

I will post all the info I have but it will be a few days before I can get to it.
Old 05-19-2016, 10:38 PM   #10

Solution Documentation

Attached is the documentation related to fixing my wiring problem. Some of the attachments are for reference purposes. I have a couple of other files that I wanted to include but they would not upload.

The link below is for the document about aligning the headlights. I am including the link because it is copyrighted. As stated previously I used this method and it produced very good results.

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

If there is a problem with this reply please bare with me as this is the first time I have tried to attach files. Any suggestions for improving my post will be appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Wiring Layout.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	346.0 KB
ID:	127572  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Angle Eye Schematic.pdf (187.5 KB, 84 views)
File Type: pdf Part_List2.pdf (127.6 KB, 67 views)
File Type: pdf Wiring Layout with notes.pdf (601.1 KB, 83 views)
File Type: pdf Splice and Plug.pdf (145.0 KB, 57 views)
File Type: pdf VEC Connector Pin Assignment.pdf (176.5 KB, 53 views)
File Type: pdf Relay and Harness.pdf (203.5 KB, 64 views)
File Type: pdf Raised Fuse Block.pdf (110.0 KB, 47 views)
File Type: pdf Relay_Data.pdf (407.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 05-20-2016, 06:11 AM   #11

Wow, very comprehensive! Thank you so much!

This really needs to be a sticky in the forum.

2018 Renegade Explorer / 2021 Jeep Gladiator
MFortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 07:30 PM   #12

SC Alpiner (Bill) - Great job!!! You ought to write tech manuals at 10 times the normal pay. Thanks for the information.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angle eye, headlight, light, wiring