Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #1

Another heater hose ruptured

Well I had another heater hose rupture. was over the rear of the aqua hot, at a brass connector fitting. it had 2 green tapes on it. 7 miles from palm desert Thousand Trails.. kept adding water and limped into my site.. . thanks to my wife for filling many gallons of water.. pays to carry water. I am on my way to Redlands to have all hoses replaced after the fmca rally but didn't make it there before this one failed. I had 4 shutoff valves put in in Montana but must be another hose they missed. I close all 4 but the one that ruptured must be somewhere on the engine and they missed it so I could close them if a failure so I could continue on.. I heard that the hose with 2 green tapes is on the front of the engine which I think is facing to the rear. I think it is time to go back to a 5th wheel.. my nerves are shot. I love the rig and try to maintain it well. may be up for sale to save my marriage. bottom line, where does the hose with green tape connect at the engine?
Melorene is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2013, 10:18 AM   #2

Sorry to hear you are still having problems. Luckily I don't have Aqua-Hot, Vansco, Silverleaf, Smart Wheel, Smart Beds, bedroom slides or even engine ECM. Sometimes less is more!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:23 AM   #3

we love the rig, don't have silverleaf but guess I have the rest.. sure would be nice to have a dealer backing up the maintenance.. we have added a lot of upgrades to make it comfy and more dependable but sure sucks tight on your heart when a warning light comes on. may just have to downsize to a allegro or similar rig and may even a gas one.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:57 AM   #4

GAS?

I have looked at some of the smaller DP's but they all seem to be built on the XCS chassis. Rear radiator and even drum brakes! Gas models all seem to be on the F-53 chassis and no air suspension. You may be giving up more than you can tolerate.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #5

Mel, any chance you have a faulty radiator pressure cap?
Quiltlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I am with the poster, it seems each and every time I use this thing, I am repairing or rebuilding something each and every trip. When I get all the stuff fixed and home again, I am going to sell it, it's killing my joy of being in an RV. It's so bad, I may never own another one. Currently, I still have not fixed the following:
1. WRV's bad kitchen sink hose-rebuild and replace. Cannot gain access to area without taking kitchen drawers bank apart-not a cabinet maker.
2. Aqua-hot heater hose issue, trying to be preventative here on this one.
3. Hydraulic Leak in HWH bay, which I cannot find, but keep mopping up the fluid.
4. Still have HH/AH registers which need work/modification so I have heat & good air flow.
5. Big Slide leaks when it rains, know what to fix, but wont do it the way I'm told too, since I cannot get in under the toppers. Want to fix from the inside, but don't know how the crown molding was installed, and won't destroy it in trying to fix leak. Currently it's raining in LA, and the big slide is in.

The "fear factor" is working well on me since I am a long way from home, and don't want to have to have it towed if it breaks down.

If you want a good deal, when I am home look for it on craigslist.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 11:16 PM   #7

Melorene

There is pair of hoses with red tape to/from aqua hot. There is a pair to/from the heater with green tape.There is 5th heater hose that comes off the front of the engine. I traced the hose to the rear bulkhead and cannot see where it goes. I replaced the hose up to the shutoff and I put a fifth shut off on it.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 08:13 AM   #8

I guess they missed the 5th hose that goes to the back when putting shutoffs . I have cut out the ruptured area and hope I can make it to Redlands on Jan 1 50 miles away. also am wondering why they are bursting and as above mentioned that it may be a faulty radiator cap causing higher than normal pressure.. this is the 3rd rupture and all at a connection or splice fitting.. would like to get the cap checked and replaced. will talk to Rolando on Monday. thanks for all the help.. I am getting the feeling as above also as just afraid to go anywhere cause something always happens. love the rig when it works right. Mel
Old 12-29-2013, 11:16 PM   #9

In my opinion, I don't think it is your radiator cap. I think it is old cheap car heater hose like I replaced.

Right hose is inlet for heater. Left 5th hose I replaced as far as I could and put on a shut off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	right hose is inlet for heater, left hose don't know where it goes.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	253.8 KB
ID:	52851  
Old 12-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #10

It must have been the heater hose that ruptured behind and above the aqua hot.. they must have missed putting a shutoff on that hose.. is the picture taken from under the bed and opposite end of motor that has the fan belt ? May just get a new cap anyway. I think you are right.. still must be a lot of pressure on those hoses. Just hope I make it to Redlands 50 miles on new years day. thanks to all..
Old 01-01-2014, 07:48 AM   #11

Well, will travel 55 miles to Redlands Truck and RV to get hoses replaced, aqua hot serviced and inverter checked out. hope we make it. was going to travel on new years day but if we break down again at least their service truck can come out and help us. hope to attend the Indio rally afterwards if all goes well.. Did replace the radiator cap just in case. thanks for all the help. Mel
Old 01-01-2014, 10:01 PM   #12

The picture was taken under the very back of the MH, which is actually the be front of the engine. The lube oil filter is in the picture to the right. I have no access under the bed, only a very small access door in the floor, which gives very little access to the back of the engine.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:48 AM   #13

Am at Redlands Truck and RV now, today day 3 camping at their hookup site waiting for Monday to finish. got all hoses replaced already, really stiff and brittle. also found out why my engine warmer didn't work as WRV ran the hoses incorrectly. Got Aqua Hot serviced as the hose broke over it. they removed it and also replaced the hoses going to it. found a leaking leveling jack and broken muffler hanger also. What a lot of hard work for the 2 guys working so hard. also replacing the radiator hoses and thermostat. hoses were really swelled. Hope they finish on Monday and will head to the FMCA rally in indio Monday evening. all this on a 2008 rig......thanks to all for your input.. safe and fun travels in 2014 to all. Mel and Lorene

Tags
heater