Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2022, 12:41 PM   #15
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpaldrich View Post
I have the same generator and a similar problem. My fuse blows immediately upon installation of the fuse. Not the same as yours (you said yours blows when you try to start), but if this is a common issue then perhaps the inverter tends to fail in regards to glow plug operations.

Long story short, I found a company that will repair the inverter for a cost of $800 + shipping. Does not seem worth it to me.
That type of short should be very easy to sort out. Put a test light in place of the fuse. While it is glowing chase the wiring looking for a physical shot. Without a schematic I can only guess what would be shorted but the power passes through some sort of switching.

Once you find and remove the short the test light will shut off.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2022, 12:44 PM   #16
YC1

As for the OP's issue. One could imagine installing a simple relay that gets activated when you push on the bottom part of your rocker switches that start the generator.

I don't know if there is 12 volts at the switches but it is possible. Of course you can use the 12 volts already at the fuse on the generator and have the switch send a ground to activate the relay.
---------------------------------------------

After reviewing the schematic I can see where the 12 volts goes into the controller and is sent back out. I would imagine there is an actual mechanical relay inside the controller versus passing power through some heavy duty semiconductor device.

The strange thing is you say you can supply your own power to the glow plugs and things work fine. Are you disconnecting the wire from the controller while you do that? Or are you leaving it in the circuit?

If your controller is still connected while doing this I would change the fuse to a 25 amp one as mentioned. Yes a 5 amp difference is a lot. After changing the fuse see if it blows.

I don't know why the tech did not check the value of the fuse.

I would love to see the inside of a controller. It would really surprise me if they pass that much current through some semiconductor. But it is possible of course if they are monitoring the current draw for some reason.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan