Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:46 PM   #1

Anyone replace their old Xantrex by themselves?

My Xantrex RS2000 finally died. Iím told by Xantrex that the Freedom SW2012 is the replacement for it. To save me from the arduous and tedious search of this forum, has anyone without an electrical engineering degree done it themselves??? Any tips and experience worth noting would be most appreciated.
Now, Iím certain there are a few other ďbetter onesĒ that folks now utilize but Iím just going to go with their recommendations.
Thanks ahead for any information.
Bob
Bking is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2022, 11:31 PM   #2

I have upgraded Xantrex inverter /chargers on my coach, but not those 2 specific models. Having said that Xantrex makes cheaper pure sine inverter/chargers that may do everything you need for about 2/3 the price of the SW2012, if you don't need some of its fancy features, like generator support mode.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 06:13 AM   #3

Certainly. Have installed several inverter/chargers in both sailboats and motorhomes.

But the operative question here is whether YOU, not others are qualified to do it, and it installing on of increased rating are able to properly upgrade wiring and fuse.

YOU will need to answer these questions. An excellent place to start is to read the installation manual for your current inverter/charger and also for the one you are considering. The manuals should be on-line.
Old 01-08-2022, 08:00 AM   #4

I replaced mine last year with the SW2012.
I had to also replace the control panel and gen start panel, (not compatible with the new model. Ordered everything from a marine supply warehouse Ft Lauderdale, FL. Wasnít readily available in S Texas. Best price, fast & free shipping. Just under 2K for everything.
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:04 AM   #5

Anyone replace their old Xantrex by themselves?

My coach: 2007 Limited

My original rs 2000 was not charging properly so I wanted an easy replacement, so this is what I used last year:
1- Xantrex Freedom SW 2012 (815-2012) Inverter/Charge, $1,274.31
The four corner bolts bolted directly in the original location, DC cables to the battery where long enough to the new location on the inverter but I had to add a junction box and extent the AC 10 ga wires! I wired it before I installed the unit. The old network cables to the front panel work and the old temp senor and cable work!
2- Xantrex SW 809-0921 System Control Panel, $168.00
The old panel will not work with new Inverter but does fit in the original location, it works very similar to the old panel but does give you the ability to set the charging voltage which is really nice
3- Xantrex RAGR 809-0915 Automatic Generator Start, $148.57
The old one will not work with new inverter but if you donít want the gen start its not needed! It is located behind the system control panel!

I don't know if you have the Xantrex Network Connector boxes 2 behind the system panel and 1 by Inverter? I was told by Xantrex they were not needed so I bypassed them. Make sure to use the terminators at inverter and panel as directed.

No other software upgrades to other coach systems were required! You will get a million different ways to go on the forum but this was the easiest for me. You can get real complicated with other brands if you want!

Hope this helps,
Steve
Schuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 08:06 AM   #6

I am sure others will chime in [hopefully an APEX owner] but here are couple thoughts on DIY: 1- these units are very heavy to handle and install--location of unit can make it a pain to access and swap-out; 2- with SW2012, you shouldn't need to upgrade wires or fuses; 3- Xantrax has a specific install sequence for wiring; 4-your APEX is a different animal, eg, inverter controlled thru Silverleaf--might be some comm. compatibility or configuration issues to resolve????
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2022, 10:20 AM   #7

Steve! This is exactly what I was hoping to read today. Thank you. Do you have any contact info for the place in Florida you purchased the 2012 and accoutrements?
Old 01-08-2022, 11:06 AM   #8

I actually bought them all on Amazon where I found the best price. My guess is they have skyrocketed in price like everything else. The inverter itself was sold by Autoplicity through Amazon. Old Scout is right your Apex install may be a little different but I think our Silverleaf control is the same?
Schuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2022, 08:17 AM   #9

We bought thru Boatplicity.com in FL. At the time, cheaper than Amazon..
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2022, 07:02 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
FWIW - I did an upgrade from the old Freedom 458 to SW2012 including a new AGS. I created a wiring conversion chart since the new AGS comes with a connectorized harness. The old AGS wiring was labeled for functionality which needed to be spliced to the new harness. I actually used small auto quick connect crimp connectors to allow for changing in case my conversion didnít work. However, it worked!

Let me know if anyone needs the conversion chart I created for the upgrade and Iíll post it here.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:19 PM   #11

I found one for $1,600 on Amazon. Won’t get it until late February however... I suppose it’s another one of those items sitting on a container ship near some port.
��
Old 01-16-2022, 07:36 PM   #12

Check inverter service center.......
Old 01-23-2022, 03:29 PM   #13

On our 2006 Apex 40 FDQS, when the Zantrex died I replaced it with the Magnum 2800 as the Magnum, with a new module program from Silver Leaf is compatible whereas the Zantrex 2012 is not Silver Leaf compatible. I was able to visit Silver Leaf in Oregon to have them make the changes, it cost me somewhere around $150 and I didnít need to buy the controls etc for the Magnum. As for replacement of the unit, itís very heavy, I made a ramp with boards and slid the units down then back up. Worked out great and saved my back!
WeBrzn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 07:09 PM   #14

Update....

I have been waiting quite some time for a replacement inverter that likely won't be available until late May. Evidently there currently is an industry wide shortage of inverters. What I did find is that a very viable replacement would be a Victron Multiplus-II 3000 watt model. I can get one fairly readily and they are a bit less money. I spoke with Infinity RV repair in Sumner WA today and they assured me it would be a good choice. The Magnum brand as mentioned above is preferred by them but definitely not available as well.
My question now is this: Has anyone out there had any experience with the Victron inverter/chargers?

Tags
ace, ems, replace, xantrex