Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2020, 07:09 AM   #1

Assorted Filters

My 1998 36fds Alpine coach has the cummins c8.3 325 engine.

In reading documentation from cummins, there is an indication that it would have two fuel filters, so far I have located one, located in the "service bay" and has the water drain. I think I can see another filter on the passenger side of the engine.

Also is there a "filter" on the air compressor system, if so, where is it located?

I have been able to find information for correct filters on everything else, but need help with "correct" filters for the engine. Any help would be appreciated

Thanks!

Ben
hunter27h is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2020, 07:21 AM   #2

Follow the IN hose to the on-engine air compressor back to its source. Very likely it comes off the engine intake manifold, so the main engine air filter provides that function.

Number of fuel filters is up to the chassis/coach maker. The engine manufacturer specs the micron rating that fuel must be filtered to. It is important that you do know how many you have, as it changes what is the proper filter element.

Said another way, if Cummins specs filtration to 5 microns and you have only one filter, it must be a 5 micron element. But if you have two fuel filters, the primary (first one from the tank) should be a 10-30 micron and the secondary a 5.
Old 12-08-2020, 08:20 AM   #3

fuel filters

a quick call to Cummins support with the engine serial number and they provided the correct fuel filters based on the engine

Fleet guard:
FF5052
FS1280

Amazing!
Old 12-08-2020, 10:03 AM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
I believe you have just one fuel filter in the side engine bay with a water drain. The one on the other side of the engine is probably your water filter. There are usually numbers on the side of each filter that can be cross referenced to confirm. The explanation of micron rating is correct.

The chassis air system has its air intake source coming off your engine air filter as mentioned above. That canister filter is accessed by your fuel filter in the side engine bay. There is also probably an air dryer that is located on the rear passenger side behind the engine bay. They have a desiccant filter pack that is usually changed every 100,000 miles or so. The filter catches oil and contaminants from the air compression process and adventually becomes full. In some cases, shops will just install a new reman air air dryer rather than changing the internal filter and rebuilding the spitter valve. It is an easy swap. Freightliner and other truck parts houses run specials on air dryers in the fall season. I purchased a Bendix Reman air dryer for $ 197. last year. It was much quicker to swap than buy the service kit and rebuild what I had. The reman units are rebuilt to factory spec. and carry the same warranty as a new unit.
Bruce Anthon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 10:01 AM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
If you have 2 fuel filters the second one is mounted on the inside of the passenger side frame rail, approximately above the starter. As always WRV designed in variations. The above is for an EARLY (manufactured 9/2004) 2005 FDTS, your coach might be different.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2020, 12:10 PM   #6

….way different--he has a 1998 Alpine with a 330 mechanical Cummins--this one "lost me at hello!"
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 05:45 AM   #7

I have the filters and headed to the service bay next week. When I called Cummins, I gave the engine serial number and they were able to access specifications for that engine. I am relatively certain that what I can see on the passenger side of the engine is the other fuel filter.

I do not know if it is self priming, might be worth another call back

I am still hoping that someone with the same coach will pop up, maybe not many of us left?
Old 12-11-2020, 07:12 AM   #8

Hunter'

I had my coach serviced at A&N Diesel in Redding, Ca. one time.
They installed a NAPA #3405 fuel /water separator and NAPA #3358 for the engine mounted filter.
They service many Cummins engines in fire trucks and a number of Alpine coaches, so I assume those are correct filters.

"That filter element crosses to a 10 micron element. That is pretty course for the secondary fuel filter. Most call for a 5 micron element."
This quote regarding the NAPA #3358 was submitted by another Alpiner

Fleetguard fuel/water separator #1280 Engine mounted filter #5052 These are the filters that I installed the last time I did the service myself.

My coach/engine are the same as yours.

There is a small hand operated fuel pump adjacent to the engine mounted filter. You may have to use it to pressurize the system before starting after replacing the filter.

What filters did you order?
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2020, 02:05 PM   #9

I ordered the FF 5052 and the FS 1280, actually 3 of each.