Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2012, 09:16 AM   #15

Bruce, FWIW I just checked the voltage on my batteries with the Eco-Charger on. The house battery is 13.4v and the chassis battery is 12.8v.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2012, 10:42 PM   #16

I checked the Echo-Charger wiring with the following results: The red wire goes to the large blue finned "Battery Isolator" and then over to house battery(s); and the striped wire goes to the other post of the "Battery Isolator" and then over to the chassis/starter battery(s).

Would that have any effect? Bad isolator? All six (6) house and two (2) chassis batteries are seven (7) months old.

Thanks for everyone's input. Much appreciated.

Bruce
Old 03-13-2012, 05:56 PM   #17

Your Echo-Charger seems to be wired correctly so could be faulty. Unlikely the isolator is faulty but you could check by running the engine and seeing that you get a 0.4v drop between the alternator connection and each of the battery posts. 14.2v is too high for float charge so you may also have a problem with the charger/inverter. May be time to get professional help.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:19 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF the chassis bank was very low, it may take a day or more to bring it up.. Just so you know, The echo charger is not a "High current" device (That is it can not pass the kind of charging current a bi-directional isolator passes)
Old 03-13-2012, 11:11 PM   #19

Alpine Owners Club
Bruce:

I found that my batteries were finally kaput when the engine batteries never received a charge from the Echo-Charger after the House batteries had been charging (endlessly). The cause was that the chassis batteries never achieved enough charge to tell the Echo Charger to switch over to the engine batteries.

The end result was the engine batteries needed replaced because they were never recharged and the chassis batteries needed replaced because they would accept enough charge.

Now I have all new AGMs and 1120 Ah. Now it takes a long time to fully charge, but a LONG time to discharge, too.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:24 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The solution I use is to disconnect my engine battery. With mine Monaco built in a heavy duty switch in the forward storage compartment.

I just have to turn the switch. It's the same for my two house batteries with the switch being in a rear storage compartment

I turn off the house batteries too because the old ones (7 years) were occasionally boiling over.

By disconnecting both house and engine batteries my problems are solved.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 11:30 PM   #21

Alpine Owners Club
IIRC, on Alpines, turning off the master switches will do nothing to stop the charger from doing its thing. That would need to to be turned off separately. (Shore power, solar power, etc. are still going on.) They also do not eliminate many of the numerous draws that are directly wired to the batteries.

TBS, one could rewire the batteries to disallow any connections beyond the Master Switch, but that would only eliminate draws, not overcharging.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #22

Battery Charging - Thanks

I want to thank each of you who responded to me regarding my coach not charging the chassis battery's when hooked up to shore power. I read many of the threads regarding this problem and it appeared that I should replace the solenoid. I did and guess what -- everthing now works properly. Not only are you guys/gals great but this forum is fantastic. --Tom-- 2005 Alpine 34'.
TomJames is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, charging