Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2020, 05:55 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Battery Compartment - Item Identification

2005 Alpine Coach 36' FDDS
See attached photo. Can anyone tell me what this thing is?
As you can see it is in the battery compartment.
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery Compartment.png
Views:	42
Size:	1.33 MB
ID:	305187  
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2020, 06:06 PM   #2

Hi,
This is the hydraulic equalization cylinder for the bedroom slide. It belongs to the HWH system.
Jörg
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:15 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks
tjshively is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2020, 10:32 AM   #4

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine06 View Post
This is the hydraulic equalization cylinder for the bedroom slide.
Leaks are rare, but happen (ask me). Placing a (pricey) Vansco below any possible source of liquid would not be something I would design; quite likely would relocate.
Old 10-19-2020, 10:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepirot View Post
Leaks are rare, but happen (ask me). Placing a (pricey) Vansco below any possible source of liquid would not be something I would design; quite likely would relocate.

I think many of us have added a channel above the Vasco system to divert any oil leaking. This is still on my to do list and I think it is important as you pointed already out.
Old 10-19-2020, 11:19 PM   #6

so now that us newbies know what it is,.....what's its purpose ?
WinstonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
The slideouts typically employ 2 rams which need to be equalized to avoid jamming when extending or retracting.
bcbowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 12:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbowers View Post
The slideouts typically employ 2 rams which need to be equalized to avoid jamming when extending or retracting.
Stupid question. Do these hydraulic equalization cylinders ever need adjustment? Sometimes our main slide "sticks" on one side and then pops out. It's unnerving to watch and listen to. I've lubed the rams underneath the slide with T-9 with applied Slide-Out Dry Lube Protectant on the side and bottom rubber seals. The problem is far less prevalent when we're not level and don't have our levelers down.
Fattire_Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fattire_Bike View Post
Stupid question. Do these hydraulic equalization cylinders ever need adjustment? Sometimes our main slide "sticks" on one side and then pops out. It's unnerving to watch and listen to. I've lubed the rams underneath the slide with T-9 with applied Slide-Out Dry Lube Protectant on the side and bottom rubber seals. The problem is far less prevalent when we're not level and don't have our levelers down.

The synchronizing (or equalization) cylinder has 2 pistons and some valves inside. I do not know of any possible adjustment.
So my large room slide sticks in the upper right hand corner ... sometimes. I used to always level the coach and then extended the room slide. I have changed this practice and extend the room slide before I use the leveling jacks. Not once got the corner stuck.
This shows me that the precision / repeatability of the frame not being twisted by the jacks is not all that great. It also shows that the frame is stiff enough so that it only allows for minimum twist sitting on inflated airbags.
Anyways give it a try.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:01 PM   #10

...not sure when it changed but some model years of Alpine [mine is an early 2003] "require" the jacks to be extended before the main slide will deploy....never tried it, but suspect you could manually lower the jacks slightly and "fool" the interlock into allowing the main slide to deploy....
PS--over time, the main slide can shift left or right within the wall opening and along with being off height-wise[see paint lines]…..this can cause slide corners to hang up or rub on side wall[see paint scrapes] sometimes--both of these conditions can be adjusted/corrected...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 04:08 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...not sure when it changed but some model years of Alpine [mine is an early 2003] "require" the jacks to be extended before the main slide will deploy....never tried it, but suspect you could manually lower the jacks slightly and "fool" the interlock into allowing the main slide to deploy....

Ugh I did not know that and assumed all HWH controls were the same.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:35 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...not sure when it changed but some model years of Alpine [mine is an early 2003] "require" the jacks to be extended before the main slide will deploy.
Interesting and first I heard that. Our '07 has no such lockout, unless it was bypassed by the PO. The upper right bind mentioned is an occasional thing that leveling has little effect on.

The manual recommends leveling prior.

I now need to check for the shift mentioned and how to remedy.
Old 10-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #13

...to answer the question--believe the equalizer tubes are self-adjusting ….like bleeding trapped air, a couple cycles of fully extended and fully closed slides should re-sync everything...
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by whalepirot View Post
Interesting and first I heard that. Our '07 has no such lockout, unless it was bypassed by the PO. The upper right bind mentioned is an occasional thing that leveling has little effect on.

The manual recommends leveling prior.

I now need to check for the shift mentioned and how to remedy.
Agree. It is recommended to level the coach by deploying the jacks prior to extending the slides. There is no physical “lock out” on our 2005 that prevents the slides from being extended while the jacks are retracted.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, cat