Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 01:59 PM   #1

Battery Disconnect

I have had battery problems from day one. After talking to other Apex owners they gave me some enlightening information; however, their solution does not fit my problem. When I turn off the emergency cross connect it does not disconnect power to the house. When I disconnect the ground wire from the main ground stud to both the chassis and house batteries, I still have power to the house and the emergency cross connect. Anyone have any ideas where this power can be coming from?
joebrunold is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2014, 02:23 PM   #2

I'm having a hard time making sense of that. Sounds like you are saying there are no remaining connections between battery ground posts & the house or chassis circuits, but there is still a connection. Can't be.
On mine ground goes to the pass-thru stud on the back of the battery box, but also thru the chassis port above-right of the pass-thru's direct to the starter; from starter ground goes to chassis via the starter mount as well as straps to a weld stud on chassis, stud on engine block, etc.

If you are trying to cut off 12V entirely, start at the battery posts & remove terminals there.
Old 02-27-2014, 03:22 PM   #3

If you have a solar panel that will still provide power even with the batteries disconnected.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 07:35 PM   #4

Dumb question, are you also shutting the house side switch off. Mine is located on the fire wall just inside of the door.
05 Alpine 40FDQS #75330 Towing 24' car hauler, 2012 Spyder, 2003 Harley FatBoy
Wayne R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
X2 for the solar panel check.
Janet and Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #6

I don't know if I understand your question for sure. On my Apex, even if you shut off all the disconnects in the battery box, you still have power to the starter and is still hot. Also when I am parked outside, the solar panel light is always on.

On mine I also found a hot wire all the time about 2 gauge with and eye on it and could not find a place where it would reach to connect to. It was between the engine and the frame. Luckily it never shorted out. I just removed it and everything still worked fine.

If you have electric refrigerator, there is a hot 12 volt wire behind it for an RV refrigerator. I tried pulling the fuse for it in the battery compartment, but found out it runs other things.

I don't understand your problem, it is possible it could anywhere.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 08:14 AM   #7

Battery disconnect

Thanks to all. I do have a solar panel and will start there plus other suggestions. I do have the main ground on the batteries disconnected. You guys are the greatest. Since it is raining in Southern California and we are not used to that, checking it out will have to wait until the sun comes out. Thanks Again.

Joe Brunold
2006 Alpine Apex
2007 Honda CRV
joebrunold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have several sources of 12vdc depending on conditions and options.
Clearly you have two battery banks.. I spent some time yesterday replacing my 9 1/2 year old Chassis battery.. Now brand new.

and of course your house battery.

You have a CONVERTER that makes 12 out of 120 if you happen to be plugged in or if your (Optional) Generator is running.

You may have an optional solar panel

And of course the engine alternator,,, if it's running.

You also have assorted filter capacitors or condensers (Call them what you will) that can hold power for several seconds, minutes even if you have enough of em.

And in order to keep the radio probrammed while I had it all unhooked yesterday, not trusting the BIRD.. I plugged in a specail maintainer battery (Ok, so I bought it for other low demand use. but hey, it's wired up in such a way I can use it as a maintainer battery.. Nice asexual connnectors (There is no male or female, These the "outlet" connector and "Inlet" are identical so they work both ways).

So, you say you still had house power... For how long and how much.

Tags
battery, battery disconnect