Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #1

Battery Fill

How do you know if/ when to add water to your batteries with the “auto fill” ?
I have filled the tank with distilled water, push the button and it is taking water from the tank. I just don’t know how to tell if they are full. I didn’t want to over fill if that is possible with this system.
I see two lines. I’m guessing one in and one overfill ?
The cap on the battery has a clear window and it looks like they are all white in color in the windows.
Thanks
GSPx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2020, 11:37 AM   #2

There is a float in each cell that stops water when it gets to the top of the expansion neck. That is the white dot you see when looking down at the caps.

I do not know where overflow goes. I have the manual squeeze bulb style, where the bulb gets too firm to squeeze.
Old 08-30-2020, 11:50 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply.
So do you think if I see white on all caps then they are full ?
Old 08-30-2020, 12:39 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
You will always see the white indicator dots. When the cells are low the indicators will be below the window by about 1/8". When they are full the white dots raise to the window. As you fill the batteries you will notice them raise one by one until they are all up against the window.
This also closes off each fill cap so no chance of overfilling, provided all the caps are working correctly.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:29 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
The battery fill system is an upgrade I would like to add to my coach. Is there one system or manufacturer better than others?
Is the gravity feed sufficient or is the bulb pump a necessity?
Is there any reason the chassis and coach systems cannot be part of the same system? Other comments or suggestions?
I appreciate the feedback.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #6

I used the Quick fill system Camping World sells.
It was great in my old DP.
My new one has gell batteries

Here is my YouTube video on the system
https://youtu.be/HgJnPp9oHF8
2cyber71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 06:46 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks for the info. I will give it a look.
lazybyrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 11:24 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
You will always see the white indicator dots. When the cells are low the indicators will be below the window by about 1/8". When they are full the white dots raise to the window. As you fill the batteries you will notice them raise one by one until they are all up against the window.

This also closes off each fill cap so no chance of overfilling, provided all the caps are working correctly.

While I guess you might always see white doors, as you state the cell is full when the dot is at the top, bright white.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:18 AM   #9

Thanks everyone. I’ll have to double check them again this weekend.
A little off topic.
What do you use to clean your batteries ? Spray on CRC Battery cleaner and rinse off or ??
Old 09-02-2020, 12:17 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Baking soda and water with an old scrub brush, LPS 10 greasless spray lube on the terminals.
Add a couple ozs of mineral oil to each cell next time they need distilled water. You'll cut down off gassing water loss big time, and everything stays way cleaner.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 02:59 PM   #11

I use the crc cleaner and protector sprays.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:13 PM   #12

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybyrd View Post
I would like to add to my coach.
I installed a system from Battery Fill Systems, as it was beyond a chore to fill them, especially the back ones, having no drawer. The system isn't cheap, but neither is replacing batteries than will prematurely fail from improper watering. It's the new auto-shutoff valves in the new cell caps that are costly.

I installed the bulb pump, but am not convinced it's needed. Using it speeds the process as I don't leave the small ball valve in the (factory) fill line open from the factory tank. I'm a bit surprised at how much water is needed even from just the solar (WRV 100W) system.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf BatteryWateringSystemInstr.pdf (267.5 KB, 14 views)
Old 09-13-2020, 04:26 PM   #13

battery fill system

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSPx2 View Post
How do you know if/ when to add water to your batteries with the “auto fill” ?
I have filled the tank with distilled water, push the button and it is taking water from the tank. I just don’t know how to tell if they are full. I didn’t want to over fill if that is possible with this system.
I see two lines. I’m guessing one in and one overfill ?
The cap on the battery has a clear window and it looks like they are all white in color in the windows.
Thanks
I've got the same system, and all the replies I've seem were spot on.
However, here are a couple of hints based on my experiences. The extra line you see is a return line, which would function if there was a small pump in the system, and when all the cells were full, the extra water would just cycle back into the reservoir. Without the pump the water just flows down to the cells, and when they are full, the water just stops flowing. I'll stress the point already made, that just being able to see the little white dots in the windows doesn't mean it's OK. Those dots are connected to floats, and will only drop down a small way. The water in that cell might be waaaay down below the float. Each dot should be tight against the glass. Also, they fill in order, After you open the valve, the first cell will fill, then when it's full. the water can go on to the next; and so on until all are full. Also, sometimes the floats can stick, so tapping the caps as you fill could keep the system from overfilling on occasion. Dont leave the fill valve open!
Dudley Do-Right '06Apex40,MDTS
Dudley do-right is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2020, 06:41 AM   #14

I have the BFS system on my 04. Other than redoing the clear tubing several years ago, it has always worked well. You can't overfill because once all cells are filled the water level stops going down in the canister. I know that some people have complained about this system on the forum, but I don't get it. It saves me having to do what would be a tedious job that I would likely avoid. My house batteries are about 10 years old. I think that says it all.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery