Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-01-2021, 07:23 AM   #1

Battery isolator solenoid

Whenever I leave my chassis battery switch on while parked & plugged in for a few days, my solenoid is failing. Itís apparently combining the batteries while on the charger and not shutting off when both banks are charged. Last one failed in about 12 hrs of being on
Vansco issue?

Thanks...
Irie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2021, 07:46 AM   #2

Think the issue is deeper than this....as I recall, these solenoids are like 300 amp and continuous use, so failing every 12 hrs is unlike, unless...a combination of charges and draws are causing the solenoid to constantly cycle....there is a lengthy discussion on this forum about adding a "resistance diode" to the solenoid to eliminate the cycling...this issue is beyond my "headlights"....use the search function on this forum -- its your friend.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:19 AM   #3

I am curious what kind of solenoid you are using. I replaced mine once and havenít had any other issues. The previous owner had installed a light duty solenoid and it gave up the ghost. I used a continuous duty contactor.

I would think that if there was a problem related to the Vansco you would hear the solenoid chattering. They run very hot while they are in use.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 10:20 AM   #4

Some solenoids engage with 12 volts but hold with 6 to 8 volts, so the holding coil doesn't overheat.

Don't know if your system does that.

You may have the wrong solenoid.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #5

Iím using a 300amp continuous duty Trembetta. Same as original
Old 03-01-2021, 12:15 PM   #6

Sounds all good from the Vansco side.
I would check the chassis battery.
The process is that your house batteries charge first and once the voltage comes up the Vansco will close the relay to also charge the chassis battery. I would think that your house battery can supply an excess of 1000A in a dead short situation. That would never happen unless you have a bad chassis battery that consumes more current than the trombetta can carry through its contacts.
Thatís the only idea I have to your problem.
Kind of pricey to keep burning them up.
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 04:47 PM   #7

When you say failed does it chatter or stop passing current? If you are using heat as the criteria they run hot. Mine runs too hot to touch, itís normal. I know it doesnít seem normal but mines been in there for 5 yrs just baking away. Itís also a correct Trombetta.

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 09:29 PM   #8

Usually what happens is that the main contacts get burned and that causes them to either get stuck closed or fail to pass current. So you would hear a click but once you ohm for continuity the main circuit will never close.
The relay should not chatter and the Vansco logic also has a calculation that prevents that from happening even if the voltage of the side that is seeing the charge starts to sag from the load of the other battery.
If the relay chatters than you should check what voltage is present that energizes the coil (in its active state) and if there is a drop then the question is what current does the coil require to close the relay. I donít have any numbers here for you as I have never measured mine but what I think could happen is that the coil closes and the Vansco cannot supply that high of a current and therefore the coil opens again ... the signal is still present so it closes again ... rinse and repeat so you hear a chatter of the relay. If that happens the main contacts burn out in a hurry and the relay is bad.
Yes these relays can get hot and that is normal to a certain extent.
Alpine06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 05:13 AM   #9

It clicks on, then off about every 10 seconds, not passing any current.
Thanks everyone for all the input. Luckily itís a function I can do without for now.
Currently traveling so when I do get it figured out Iíll be sure to post!
Old 03-02-2021, 05:40 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
My Big-Boy selenoid failed last year at the 20 year mark. I'm sure I could have taken it apart and probably even fixed it but after taking the time to get it off I decided that the $125 for a new one was a better investment of my time and probability of having to work on it again in the foreseeable future!

Plus the new one in there just looks better
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, battery isolator, solenoid