RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:09 PM   #1

Battery isolator, year 2000, alpine 36

I suspect that my old blue diode-based isolator should be replaced as part of my battery compartment update.
It is 20 years old, after all.
I have the wiring diagrams from the ACA but I can't read the isolator specification. It looks just like the 200A Cole Hersee unit on Amazon.....but would that be a good fit?
And by fit I mean fitting in the same bolt holes as the old one.

Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2020, 06:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
I suspect that my old blue diode-based isolator should be replaced as part of my battery compartment update.
It is 20 years old, after all.
I have the wiring diagrams from the ACA but I can't read the isolator specification. It looks just like the 200A Cole Hersee unit on Amazon.....but would that be a good fit?
And by fit I mean fitting in the same bolt holes as the old one.
Some have gone with battery combiners.
https://www.invertersupply.com/index...4GmbNRBW4nDgmV

Old 04-25-2020, 07:17 PM   #3

...guess these units can fail--but don't recall much conversation on this issue?????? the new-style combiner sounds like a good solution....the old-style isolator creates the need for the DuVac exciter requirement on the engine alternator.....[eg, alternator can't "see" past isolator for battery voltage level.....]
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 08:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
...guess these units can fail--but don't recall much conversation on this issue?????? the new-style combiner sounds like a good solution....the old-style isolator creates the need for the DuVac exciter requirement on the engine alternator.....[eg, alternator can't "see" past isolator for battery voltage level.....]
Exactly, if upgrading to a newer or bigger non Duvac alternator, a necessity. I have had the diode type isolator fail on a couple of coaches.

Tags
battery, battery isolator