RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:15 PM   #1

Battery wiring

I don't have a problem with my battery system, but did have to replace one cable end. While i'm at it, i plan to clean the corrosion off and tidy everything best i can. I'd love to get this organized enough that i could put a tray over all the batteries.

Anyway, Could someone take a look at how this is all wired up and confirm it is correct ?
It seems incorrect to me. But since it works, it must not be. ???

I realize the house batteries are 6V and wired in parallel, then once in series to get one big 12v battery.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4082.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	476.6 KB
ID:	301605  
WinstonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 10:45 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Battery wiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonWolf View Post
I don't have a problem with my battery system, but did have to replace one cable end. While i'm at it, i plan to clean the corrosion off and tidy everything best i can. I'd love to get this organized enough that i could put a tray over all the batteries.

Anyway, Could someone take a look at how this is all wired up and confirm it is correct ?
It seems incorrect to me. But since it works, it must not be. ???

I realize the house batteries are 6V and wired in parallel, then once in series to get one big 12v battery.

The wiring seems to be correct, but the negative side of the house bank is joined to the negative side of the chassis bank by a red cable, that should be black. I am confused by both chassis batteries having a red cable leading out of the battery bank AND a black jumper, maybe exchange that with the red mentioned above and find out why there are 2 cables leading off, where each of them go.

As you said you also need to clean the terminals and when reattached cost them with NoOx. When you remove them to clean them check to see that they are in good shape.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:59 AM   #3

Not positive I'm seeing this correctly or not but on the 4 batty house bank it appears to me that both the Neg & Pos feed to MH are tied to the same pair of battys.
That will work OK but not optimal.
For a balanced load and charge on both pairs of 6V house battys connect Pos/load to one pair and Neg to the other.
When paralleling a pair of 12V same idea holds... Pos to one Neg to the other.
If banks are larger than a pair there are diagrams for balancing larger banks.
For any black leads connected to Pos... like your combine relay you might want to add some Red tape.
Also if you do clean up & paint look into Por 15 it is excellent for this application.
See. https://www.irv2.com/forums/f103/battery-slide-refurb-484735.html
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 06:45 AM   #4

Looked over you picture, all looks wired fine.
Before you start working on it, you can just blast it all down with a garden hose to clean it up some. Just don't blast the caps to much. Then pick up colored tape or cable ties to mark what's what.

As far as balancing out the cabling, unless your drawing or charging at the maximum ampricity of the cabling, there is no need to reconfigure the wiring.

The 10 inch jumpers will easly carry hundreds of amps evenly. Even if there is a slight difference, batteries charge by voltage and when one is full, that voltage will carry to the next and all will equalize.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 09:32 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If I were going to bother spiffing everything up there I would go the extra step to cable it up for a "balanced" output. But agree it's rearranging deck chairs on the titanic, what's there will work fine for everything short of extreme cycling.

I see some wood spacers in there so there might be some opportunity of rearranging the batteries to make cabling a bit more neat/direct. I don't see any kind of hold downs in place but maybe you're comfortable with the friction fit from spacer blocks.

High on the list would be to block off whatever openings there are allowing the dirt to get in there. It goes a long way towards staying cleaner longer and minimizing issues of self discharge and cable/terminal corrosion.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
Mark_K5LXP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 10:43 AM   #6

A good scrub down with baking soda and water should do the trick.
Noco or any other corrosion inhibitor will work on the terminals. I have had good success with LPS1 greaseless spray. Adding a couple oz of mineral oil to each house battery cell will really cut down on water loss, off gassing and terminal corrosion.
One thing I don't see are any battery hold down brackets....I might suggest you install some, if indeed they are missing.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:18 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine36 View Post
One thing I don't see are any battery hold down brackets....I might suggest you install some, if indeed they are missing.
Before we went to Lithium and moved the batteries inside I was missing a few Hold-downs as well. I bought some 3/8" "All Thread" at Lowes and built some hold downs by drilling the bottom of the battery tray, used locknuts on bottom and top and then bought some 1 1/4" 90* aluminum and made some nice brackets to hold down the batteries. The total cost was may $50 and it was similar to the steel brackets used at factory and much easier to work with.

You're actually welcome to the hardware if you're anywhere near AZ as they are just sitting in the garage and unused!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 05:48 PM   #8

...like the idea of using all thread for the verticals but prefer plastic material, eg, strips of cutting board for the horizonal material on top of the batteries. -- plastic is sturdy, non-conductive and no corrosion to deal with on top of bats.....
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 08:01 PM   #9

One of the things that surprised me when I got into serious electronics was the proper hookup of batteries. The diagram below and the note at the bottom clarified a few things...

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	battery wiring diagrams.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	301711  
Old 09-20-2020, 11:46 PM   #10

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm anxious to get these organized and cleaned up. I'm pretty sure it's one of the reasons i don't sleep well at night. seriously, buts the shiz outta me.

I hate the acid soaked batteries too, and plan to ditch these and go for some sweet bunjee cords for hold downs. .... totally kidding. I like the cutting board plastic idea. Clever!

There is at lease one cable on the wall that could be about 10" shorter, i plan to shorten it and will probably replace a couple of the batteries. I see one of them is 7 years old !
WinstonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 12:04 AM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinstonWolf View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. I'm anxious to get these organized and cleaned up. I'm pretty sure it's one of the reasons i don't sleep well at night. seriously, buts the shiz outta me.

I hate the acid soaked batteries too, and plan to ditch these and go for some sweet bunjee cords for hold downs. .... totally kidding. I like the cutting board plastic idea. Clever!

There is at lease one cable on the wall that could be about 10" shorter, i plan to shorten it and will probably replace a couple of the batteries. I see one of them is 7 years old !

A couple of comments, if you replace a battery, replace ALL the batteries in that bank.

If you shorten the cables be sure you can adequately terminate 2/0 cable.
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 05:28 AM   #12

You have 2, 12 volt chassis ( starter ) batteries. Top left 2 with no caps. You should replace them as a pair for best results.

You have 4, 6 volt deep cycle batteries.
If they are all the same age, its best to replace them all.
If one is older then the others and weak, you need to replace it and the one its linked to with the + to - short jumper.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:35 AM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
So..................While it's really easy to spend your $$$, and that being said, the best thing to do is replace all the batteries AND the cables. You should give yourself a clean start and also spend the time to clean all the old residual stuff in the battery compartment out and give it a quick coat of paint from a rattle can

I think worst case would be 4 deep cycle batteries from Costco/Sams for $400 and 2 startng batteries from Batteries and Bulbs for $250 and about $150-$200 for cables.

Take this approach and you'll know exactly where you are starting and will not have to worry about batteries for years to come. You will know 100% how they have been maintained, cycles and with everything changed you'll have a clean compartment and no residual acid or previous off-gassing to worry about.

Looking at those cables personally I'd replace them vs. cleaning them at this point based on how they look in the pics. You should be able to buy everything you need on Amazon for the amount I state, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction.

Always good to know your starting point on items that have a finite life and are affected by the way they are used IMO
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2020, 08:58 AM   #14

My battery trays were designed for nylon straps to the batts down , hardware was chrome plated, simple and effective.
I'm a little suspect of the red cable with the zig zag bends in it. That can happen when there is corrosion that has wicked inside stranded cable. Crip ends that are closed at one end help to prevent this as well as sealed with tape or heatshrink. It could just be bent funny too.
153stars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wiring, battery