RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-30-2020, 01:11 PM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Big Boy Relay

So the big boy combiner seems to be not functioning correctly and I wanted to see if anyone has any experience with these.

So on our 2001 36FDDS (pre-vansco) the combiner was working fine until I had an alternator failure in March. I used it a whole bunch on a trip to keep the chassis batteries charged from the house bank which was large and charged by solar. I probably had it engaged for quite some time and may have burned it out????

So at this point it seems to be engaging as I can hear the distinct mechanical engagement when the boost switch is activated but there is not power coming through to the other terminal and there is also no continuity when engaged between the 2 terminals.

Is this a failure of the u it itself? I was thinking it might be a fuse but wouldnít it just not respond to the switch if it was a fuse??

Any experience with this relay here???

Thanks in advance everyone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4264713C-F6FD-4DFA-8583-DA5F8FE67DDC.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	283613  

paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2020, 02:14 PM   #2

….pretty simple device....also pretty heavy-duty--like 300 amps and designed for continuous duty.....you heard it "click" so sounds like dash switch is working--believe it is a ground-out switch vs a positive/power switch..... some say you can open them up and clean the contacts---probably time for a new one--perhaps be able to find a more modern option??????

Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:46 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
….pretty simple device....also pretty heavy-duty--like 300 amps and designed for continuous duty.....you heard it "click" so sounds like dash switch is working--believe it is a ground-out switch vs a positive/power switch..... some say you can open them up and clean the contacts---probably time for a new one--perhaps be able to find a more modern option??????
Yeah you're probably right Dean!....I was just trying to make sure it wasn't something simple

I realize there are more modern options but I found one on eBay for $150 so I'll just replace it.....I mean, after all, it is 19 years old

In the mean time I re-routed the cable from the BB to the Chassis battery buss bar to keep the chassis batteries topped off in preparation for our trip next week!!
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 06:21 PM   #4

Paul just some food for thought. My coach is a Vansco coach but it has the same kind of solenoid. Mine is made by Trombetta and yours is made by Intellitec. I believe they are both 200 amp continuous duty solenoids.

I just replaced mine. It is almost five years old. It was still working kinda. In the battery bay I have volt meters for the chassis and house batteries banks so I can see the voltage on both banks. When Vansco would energize the solenoid I could hear the solenoid energize and the solenoid would get warm to the touch but I would not immediately see the voltage increase on the chassis batteries. It might take 20-30 minutes before the solenoid would pass power from one bank to the other. I thought that was odd but it always eventually worked.

I bought a new one on Amazon for $58, installed it and all is well. When Vansco triggers the solenoid power flows between the banks immediately. I disassembled the old solenoid and the contacts were in pretty bad shape (picture below). At $58 you might try this solenoid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solenoid.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	681.1 KB
ID:	283670  
Old 04-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #5

My trombetta needs to be replaced as well.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 09:16 PM   #6

Would a Sure Power battery separator work?

Steve and Linda's APEX is offline   Reply With Quote