Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2015, 05:41 AM   #29

Okay folks I've finally got my rig back from Cummins after all the research I've done and tracking down the part myself and of course the help from all of you. After about a month of down time, I don't think it would of gone any faster if I didn't get the Branch Mgr involved. He took the lead on this and everything ran a little smoother and off course a smaller out the door bill for my inconvenience. The issue was with the CAC causing the black exhaust smoke. The coach now run better and it's good to look out my mirror and not see the smoke. Again thank you all for your assistance with this.
chillwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2015, 07:25 AM   #30

Glad to hear it.

If you have a boost gauge (Silverleaf or ScanGaugeD) good idea to record maximum boost (high RPM, WOT). That way, if it ever drops, you know to look for the source.

Source could be something as simple as a bad hose or hose clamp, turbo or CAC.
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 12:46 PM   #31

Thanks for the info. I don't have a boost gauge but my hoses, turbo, and CAC has all been replaced in the last 3 months.
Old 09-18-2015, 01:08 PM   #32

The point Wolf10 was making, I believe, is that if you have engine monitoring software like Silverleaf, you can identify your max turbo boost under specific situations--like full throttle --then be able to see when boost pressure is being lost--before you see black smoke.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #33

This is the least expensive way to get this and other engine information-- $170:

ScanGaugeD - Advanced J1939 & J1708 compatible Vehicle Monitor for Diesel Pusher Vehicles : Linear Logic
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 01:19 PM   #34

Post the name of the Cummins dealer that took you for a good ride so that no one else gets on that train, right here is a good example of someone buying something they know nothing about!!....sorry but true
Old 09-20-2015, 10:01 AM   #35

Cummins dealer in Montgomery, AL
Old 09-20-2015, 10:07 AM   #36

Thanks Wolfe10. I didn't know that something like that was out there and I have heard of it. A good investment. Thank you all for the valuable info.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:58 PM   #37

A pair of Alpine Coach couples were on a trip, and one had their radiator fail. Local shop in a small town couldn't get to it for lack of shop space & mechanics, but recommended a guy who occasionally did odd mechanical jobs for them. Guy came out in a sedan to where they were parked w/his tools in the trunk (no service vehicle type setup, so they were skeptical). Guy laid out his tools, got under the rig, took off the body panel, & proceeded to lay aside the air conditioner radiator, oil cooler, drop & set aside the CAC, then remove the radiator (after draining applicable fluids to buckets). The only help he needed was for one of the Alpiner's to hold up one end of the new radiator when he was bolting it back in, because the mechanic only had one arm.

The experience of the OP shows once again, the best way to get any service done is to know ahead of time before dealing w/the shop- what's the problem, and how to fix the way a one arm mechanic would. Otherwise you risk getting the type of fix a committee of 1st year mechanics dreams up. In this case, there were multiple possible causes, but a good inspection (needed a boroscope for this particular inspection, and a good shop should have one that can take photos as the inspection progresses) should have turned up the issue without removing the CAC. Even given the one-hour removal, this should have been found weeks earlier, as long as they would concentrate on the real potential causes. You have to be insistent and willing to question the service outfit's expertise to get them to listen to a customer; they just are not used to listening in most cases.
Also, this is where iRV2 is invaluable so you know what old One-Arm would do.
Old 09-28-2015, 08:59 AM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
I've had bad luck with truck shops so far. My next trip through Albuquerque I'll plan a extra day or two and get service at the Coach Care facility - they are highly recommended by some friends. Cummins in Ft Worth wants double the money, and they don't keep your coach clean.
The last truck place here I went to kept it 2 weeks for an oil change, charged me for 2 tubes of grease and time to grease the chassis. I was under it a day or so later and no zerks had been touched even on the driveline. My wife went and got a partial refund - I'm more the type that just will never go there again.
Thanks for sharing your experience - will store in my memory bank.
Jeeper64060 is offline   Reply With Quote