Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2007, 02:01 AM   #15

Having been in the Hydraulics businesss for over 40 years; I'll make an observation and a suggestion.
Observation:
These RV systems operate at relatively low pressures as compared to Aerospace, Military and many Farm applications. Consequently, hoses, fittings and such used in applications such as ours are designed using a more conservative safety factor and are price sensitive.

Suggestion:
Visit an industrial facility supplying high quality hoses and fittings to buy a more expensive high-pressure, perhaps braided, hose assembly. If need be, have them made. Then, if you can't replace them yourself, take the high-pressure hose assembly to your repair facility to have them installed properly.

Should I ever have a problem like this, that's exactly what I'll do. In fact, I'll probably do that to get spare hoses (I do not want to drive ours with a slide extended).

As with many things, it's a "Pay me now or pay me later" scenario.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2007, 02:03 AM   #16

OOPS!

Forgot to sign-off properly.

Bob & Peg Mahon
Milford, PA
1999 Alpine 36SDS (soon)
Old 05-19-2007, 05:40 AM   #17

I think the braided hose assembly is a great idea. How much extra could it cost in the total scope of production costs?
Old 05-19-2007, 11:21 AM   #18

I would not be the guy to speak to regarding cost difference of hose materials in today's market (I've been away from that business for some 6 years now). But, higher end hose material and fittings are not "Made in China" retrofits for high quality items.

Also, I don't believe WRV produces enough Coaches a year to get a significant quantity buy discount from a supplier. They are probably buying hoses that are "Good enough". The question here is; who is defining "Good enough"?

In my world, when considering the cost(s) of multiple replacements, failure modes and a catastrophic breakdown in West Armpit, Pennsyltucky versus a single "Fire and forget" approach, the value of a good hose assembly is priceless.

Besides, I'm lazy by nature. I don't want to do anything more than once.

To that, I'd visit a Marine Supply house and see if they have, or can get me, a hose assembly having Stainless Steel braiding and fittings. The kind used for Hydraulic Bow/Stern Thrusters, Winches and/or Windlasses.

"And that's all I have to say about that" (Forrest gump).
Old 05-19-2007, 11:26 AM   #19

Did it again; failed to sign-off properly.
It's now in my signature.
Old 05-19-2007, 01:55 PM   #20

We just had a failure too.. Our 03 40fdts has a failed bedroom slide hydraulic hose. And boy did the hydraulic fluid come out on the ground!! It pumped a gallon out in 30 seconds or less. Turns out, in our case, fluid has been leaking for some time, but very slowly. Seem the hydraulic hose was rubbing on the edge of a hole drilled thru the floor under the bed. According o the mechanic the hole was too small for the two hoses that came thru. The hoses have been constantly chafing since new and after 38,000 mile finally rubbed thru. the hydraulic hose appears to have no wire reinforcement, only several layers of plastic. THis, of course is caused by poor quality installation and agravated by cheap hydraulic hose. And so it goes, and goes, and goes.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:55 PM   #21

Something like the TV commercials:
Cost to WRV for standard HWH hose(s) - $1X
Cost to WRV for aerospace quality hoses - $2X to $3X
Added total cost on a coach - minimal
Peace of mind - Priceless!

and Starlight (January 20, 2000 - March 17, 2009)
Gary M. Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 01:43 AM   #22

Absolutely correct.

The additional cost of high-quality hoses and the like, to a manufacturer and buyer of a $200K+ machine is, in my mind, negligible. ****, the PR of the quality product and virtually eliminated hose failure(s) would
be well worth it.

I'd suspect the additional cost to install braided "Aeroquip" 4,000 PSI hoses wouldn't add $50.00 to each slide. If so, would you have opted to buy a competing Coach for the sake of $200.00? I hardly think so.

To say nothing of CS not having to deal with
frequent calls from unhappy customers and a damaged reputation.

I have never understood the "Reduced to the last dollar" approach when manufacturing a high-end machine for serious buyers.

The Mantra should be "Pay a little now or pay a lot later". Unfortunately, when dealing with cheap, important things, everybody pays in the long run.

But, what do I know?
Old 06-23-2007, 04:09 PM   #23

Here we sit in beautiful Gunnison, CO with no hydraulics. No slides, no levelers. Bummer. To all of you folks who had similar and frequent, I might add, problems, thanks so much for your input. irv2 is indispensable if you own an RV and it seems even more so if you own an "Alpine." Ours is new and there aren't many more systems on this coach left to fail. We are afraid to go anywhere, anymore. Maybe we should just let it sit in the beautiful barn we had built, and look at it. Naturally it is Saturday, the nearest RV repair is 60 miles away, it's four o'clock and we're screwed till Monday. Guess we should learn how to fly fish.
Jim & Steph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:13 PM   #24

Just had our leaking hoses fixed. The problem turned out to be located below the king size bed. Hydraulic hoses had been routed thru a hose drilled in a plywood panel below the bed. The hoses were allowed to rub against the hole in the plywood till a leak ensued. Of course when all of the fluid leaks out nothing works. Slide, jacks are all inactive when this happens.
We were lucky. Labor and parts including steam cleaning of underchassis was only $1300. This included a new hydraulic hose from the pump to the back of the coach. To eliminate the possiblity of a repeat performance the mechanic drilled the hole in the plywood larger and foamed it hose in place so it would not rub again. Are you listening WRV?
Old 06-24-2007, 02:32 PM   #25

I'm wondering how many of the hose leak problems are from hoses that are abraded while pulled thru their various kinks, turns & fittings. Shouldn't be hard to damage the plastic tube used for our slide hydraulics.
Of course, Monaco has the same problems. A buddy w/a Dynasty had leaks into his basement from "faulty hoses."
Old 06-25-2007, 01:53 AM   #26

If I ever have to replace a hydraulic hose running through a bulkhead, I think I'll make the hole oversized using a Forstner bit and install an unthreaded PVC flange for the hoses to run through. AND use Braided Aerospace hoses.

TIP:
From my Boating days; get a length of PVC pipe and split it lengthwise. Secure 1 side firmly, place the hose/wire in it and place the other half over it. Secure together with good tie-wraps. Now the hose/wire is running through a conduit. NOTE: this is only good for straight runs. You CANNOT use this idea for a hose/wire in a position that requires it to flex.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:57 AM   #27

Thought we would escape the hose problem - NOPE --- tried to open the engine door and got a nice puddle of fluid on the ground. It is a connection right in front that is squirting fluid from around the metal fitting - we have a trip to Cummins scheduled on Weds for a small oil leak in the engine - hopefully they can do the hose too --- will advise them to put a pan under the drip right off the bat --- Drats!!!

2001 Jeep Wrangler
Virginia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007, 06:50 AM   #28

V&S- Location of your leak sounds more like the power-steering/brake-boost hydraulics than the HWH slide hydraulics. If it is a large diameter hose, you may be able to effect a temporary patch using the outside diameter of the hose & going to a construction-type plumbing supply. They have neoprene, wrap-around gaskets with stainless steel tightening bands that might keep the leak in check and hold the joint together sufficiently for your trip. Good luck.