RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-28-2020, 06:23 PM   #15

Andy,

Looks good! Just a couple of comments.

1. Don't be surprised if the fan speed does not display. My coach does not have that parameter available. I suspect yours won't either.

2. On my '04 coach dashboard gauge the oil pressure either reads 0 or 55 psi. The data bus does not have variable data, just more of an on or off reading. See what you get.

3. Which fuel mileage are you reading in the top right? If it is Average Fuel Economy, that is the lifetime economy of the coach. If so, that number will very rarely change. Mine has not changed in over a year! So not worth displaying on my dash. If Instant Fuel Economy it will jump around a lot!

I have mine set to display Trip Fuel Economy, which means you must set up a trip for it to work. Then it will show the fuel economy for the current trip.

It depends on what you want to see.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2020, 06:59 PM   #16

Two quick questions on the Bluefire -

1- Can I run it successfully and well on a Amazon Fire tablet?

2- I'm mainly interested in information for which I do NOT already have gauges for. I see no need for tach, speedo, oil pressure, etc. How do I find out what other info I have access to on my coach other than what is already displayed on my regular analog gauges?

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2020, 07:14 AM   #17

Well durn! My new dash did not pass the overnight test. Here's what I got when I opened the program this morning:

I tried the "Load My Custom Dash" step. No joy.

I tried the on/off button too.

I noticed that my dash list included a dash named "Auto Saved Dash". I deleted that.

I unlocked my dash and tried to move the gauges back to where I had them. The group settings I used when building the dash were gone too.

I'm feeling like this is a issue with my tablet. I'm going to call the Bluefire contact line.
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:33 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy29847 View Post
I tried the "Load My Custom Dash" step. No joy.

I tried the on/off button too.

I noticed that my dash list included a dash named "Auto Saved Dash". I deleted that.
Sorry you are having that problem. I have never had that problem, so I can't help much. If you have the auto save feature turned on, I would try turning it off. I have always had mine turned off. Maybe that is malfunctioning.

I would have suggested you try loading that Auto Saved Dash to see if that had saved all of your changes. That's what it is supposed to do.

If you set up your dash again, save the dash again with a new name. Then "Share" that dash with yourself. (The app sends you the dash xml file via email.) If your dash screws up again, try importing and loading that dash xml file. That doesn't fix the problem, but it might help explain what is happening, as well as give you a backup someplace other than your tablet if the tablet is the problem.

Good luck!!
Old 04-29-2020, 03:09 PM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Sorry you are having that problem. I have never had that problem, so I can't help much. If you have the auto save feature turned on, I would try turning it off. I have always had mine turned off. Maybe that is malfunctioning.

I would have suggested you try loading that Auto Saved Dash to see if that had saved all of your changes. That's what it is supposed to do.

If you set up your dash again, save the dash again with a new name. Then "Share" that dash with yourself. (The app sends you the dash xml file via email.) If your dash screws up again, try importing and loading that dash xml file. That doesn't fix the problem, but it might help explain what is happening, as well as give you a backup someplace other than your tablet if the tablet is the problem.

Good luck!!
Just to add on to Jim's advice about Sharing your dash with yourself. If you continue to have problems with your tablet, I would suggest sending your dash .XML file to some one else to see if it loads correctly.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2020, 11:38 PM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
There are about 20 dashes (with screenshots) in the repository that can be viewed from within the app.

I don't know for sure, but I am pretty sure the developer does not own a coach! He develops the app for all three platforms, and also relies on a small group of beta testers to try out updates to the app before they are released with our assorted coaches and hardware.

I have a few thousand miles on the road using the app. Needless to say I am happy with it.

Do you like BlueFire better than VMSpc, and if so why?
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 05:51 AM   #21

Guys,

I appreciate the suggestions. Thanks. I am still struggling with the APP. My problems seem to revolve around the choices made in "Settings". I think it is the "Force Landscape Mode" selection.

I built another dash, saved it, and emailed it to myself. A few hours later, I opened the tablet to check the dash, and the gauges were stacked again. I reset the APP, loaded the dash I had emailed to myself, and the new dash worked as expected.

To test, I have entered a minimum number of options on the "Settings" page. I hoping that the program will stabilize with this configuration. It feels like there is a issue running the APP on my tablet (Samsung Tab A). I have not heard back from my Bluefire inquiry.
Old 04-30-2020, 10:33 AM   #22

Here is a screenshot of the newest dash I have built:

The "Lock Orientation" option seems to set itself on my tablet. It's either that or I don't fully understand how to save the dash in the APP. Send me an email at andy112652@aol.com and I will send you the xml file. I'd be especially interested to know if the dash is stable on your device through a couple of on/off cycles.

TIA
Old 05-01-2020, 07:11 AM   #23

I got this note from the Bluefire developer informing me that there is a bug for Android devices. A new version of the software that fixs the bug will be out nest week.

Hi Andy,

There is a known bug in the current version that does this and in most cases it was caused by rotating the device. Itís fixed in 3.12 which should be out early next week.

Just curious, did you have your dash saved (not auto saved)?

If you want you can send me the event log (Settings/Send the Event Log) and I can take a look.

Mark Fredrickson
Founder & CTO
BlueFire LLC
Old 05-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDaveMA View Post
Do you like BlueFire better than VMSpc, and if so why?
Absolutely!! I would not go back to VMSpc.
  • First, my coach only has the older J1708 data bus, although it has the newer 9 pin connector associated with the J1939 data bus. The Silverleaf Bluetooth adapter did not support J1708 data, and I had to return the JIB to get the USB wired JIB. And run a USB cable to my device.
  • The USB JIB and the VMSpc software only works with a Windows PC, greatly reducing the number of devices you can use. The Bluetooth version would work with an Android device, but the app (at that time at least) had far fewer options than the VMSpc program. Again, a moot point since the Bluetooth JIB did not work on my coach.
  • The BlueFire adapter is Bluetooth only, and works with the J1708 data available on my coach. It is also less than half the cost of the Silverleaf adapter, and easier to install. And in my case, WIRELESSLY!
  • I had trouble with the VMSpc software not working properly. Software updates seemed to have a lot of major bugs and I had trouble getting them to work on my PC and JIB. I was still using 2.x versions of the software due to problems with 3.x and 4.x versions. (In fairness I was using a cheap Windows 8.1 tablet.)
  • I had set up a couple of trip gauges on VMSpc, and used them to monitor fuel mileage as I went down the road. Every couple of minutes the fuel used value would drop to 0, screwing up the calculations based on that parameter. After about 30 seconds it would come back on its own. Not a major deal, but annoying. And consistent.
  • I have set up a similar fuel mileage monitor on BlueFire, and the fuel used reading is very stable, and has never dropped out.
  • There are BlueFire apps for Android, iOS, and Windows 10. I have it running on an old Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10" tablet.
  • The app is highly customizable, which can be good and bad. Great for somebody like me would likes to change the display to my tastes, but it might be intimidating for somebody just starting out with the app. You can use a combination of text gauges, circular gauges, or linear gauges. Circular gauges can be rotated so that the needle will point up when everything is working properly, making monitoring quick and easy.
Silverleaf may have fixed their Bluetooth version to work with J1708 data, although conversations with them at the time did not indicate they had any intention to do so. And at that point, I didn't care if they had. I would not have spent more money with them.

I would recommend BlueFire based on price alone, and the fact that it works across multiple platforms, giving you many more options for a display device. In my case, one I already had that was not being used.

Like VMSpc, the app is free to download, and you can try it out before you decide to buy the adapter in order to make it functional.

My two cents worth!
Old 05-01-2020, 05:11 PM   #25

Andy's dash on my Android device. I have night mode turned on, and the demo data turned off. But I was able to import it. So there is hope for him with the next release of the app.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200501-143830.png
Views:	14
Size:	125.7 KB
ID:	283785  
Old 05-08-2020, 08:15 PM   #26

There is an update to the Android APP dated May 8 available from the Blurfire website.
Old 05-08-2020, 10:46 PM   #27

It should be available for other platforms as well, if not now, very soon. It was released today, but needs "approval".
Old 05-09-2020, 06:34 AM   #28

Quote:
It should be available for other platforms as well, if not now, very soon. It was released today, but needs "approval".
Jim.

I'm glad to have you here as our "Guru". I have Bluefire for Motorhomes APP loaded both on my Andriod tablet and on my Windows 10 PC. The Google Store has the May 8, 2020 update for the Android (Samsung Tab A) tablet. The Microsoft store does not have an update for the PC version. The PC version in the Microsoft store is still dated April 16, 2018.

I read through the notes on the Android update. One of the things that has changed is "Vertical and Horizontal Scrolling Dashes". I haven't been able to get this feature to work. My tablet screen will move about 1/4". If you get a chance, try the feature on your tablet(s).

I haven't used the tablet enough to tell if the gauge stacking problem is eliminated. I do notice that with the new version, it seems like you you have to been in the right orientation (portrait or landscape) to get a good dash load.

Latest version of my dash -

Tags
fire