RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-20-2020, 01:22 PM   #1
Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Dataw Island SC
Posts: 81
Bluefire

Trying to set up system. Got usermanual followed directions very little setting up dash board. Is there a video available. Thanks for the help
Jeff
__________________

__________________
Hello In April we purchased 2005 Alpine coach 5258 It a 40ft fd4slide unit pushed by a Cummins 400hp 6c8.9 engine Bought in April 20017 in Charleston Sc
jeflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2020, 11:40 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Jim A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,676
I am not aware of any video tutorial on how to set up a dash on BlueFire. The app developer has plans to make some, but I don't know that he has been able to do so yet. I had the VMSpc program prior to purchasing the BlueFire, so I had some insight as to what data was available to me. This was a big help in getting started.

I have to admit that when I started with BlueFire over a year ago, it was a simpler program than it is today. Back then, with previous experience with VMSpc, it was pretty easy to start from scratch and build a dash. I saw how to add a text gauge or an circular gauge. I learned how to change the size of gauges, and how to move them around using drag and drop. I was able to put together a dash similar to what I had with the old program.

Since then the developer has added options we have asked for to REALLY customize the dash to our desires. He has added the ability to size gauges to a grid, as well as drag and drop to a grid, which makes it easy to line up the gauges. We can rotate circular gauges so that all needles point up when in the normal condition. We can change font sizes and customize colors. There are LOTS of options!

Unfortunately this can be somewhat intimidating to somebody just starting out. But eventually you will be happy that you can do so much!!

If I was starting today, I would suggest you use the Download Custom Dash from the BlueFire dash repository in the app. (Mine is in there.) Pick a dash that seems to have the look you want, and download it. Then play with that dash to learn how to change the size of gauges, the colors, move them around, add new gauges, etc. If you screw it up, simply download it again and start over. Once you can see what you can do, then decide if you want to start from scratch (how to do that will be more apparent than it is now), or just customize the dash you downloaded.

Two things to keep in mind with a downloaded dash. One is that older coaches like ours might not have all the data available that some of the newer coaches have. Some gauges might not work with your particular coach. My '04 only has the J1708 data bus, as Cummins was just switching to the J1939 standard. Hopefully your '05 has the J1939 data bus.

The second is that some custom dashes might distort when you download them if the screen sizes don't match up. The dash I created on one Android tablet doesn't import well into my newer tablet, or the Windows PC version. But for what I am suggesting, that isn't a big deal. You will learn how to fix it!
__________________

__________________
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:10 PM   #3
Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Dataw Island SC
Posts: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
I am not aware of any video tutorial on how to set up a dash on BlueFire. The app developer has plans to make some, but I don't know that he has been able to do so yet. I had the VMSpc program prior to purchasing the BlueFire, so I had some insight as to what data was available to me. This was a big help in getting started.

I have to admit that when I started with BlueFire over a year ago, it was a simpler program than it is today. Back then, with previous experience with VMSpc, it was pretty easy to start from scratch and build a dash. I saw how to add a text gauge or an circular gauge. I learned how to change the size of gauges, and how to move them around using drag and drop. I was able to put together a dash similar to what I had with the old program.

Since then the developer has added options we have asked for to REALLY customize the dash to our desires. He has added the ability to size gauges to a grid, as well as drag and drop to a grid, which makes it easy to line up the gauges. We can rotate circular gauges so that all needles point up when in the normal condition. We can change font sizes and customize colors. There are LOTS of options!

Unfortunately this can be somewhat intimidating to somebody just starting out. But eventually you will be happy that you can do so much!!

If I was starting today, I would suggest you use the Download Custom Dash from the BlueFire dash repository in the app. (Mine is in there.) Pick a dash that seems to have the look you want, and download it. Then play with that dash to learn how to change the size of gauges, the colors, move them around, add new gauges, etc. If you screw it up, simply download it again and start over. Once you can see what you can do, then decide if you want to start from scratch (how to do that will be more apparent than it is now), or just customize the dash you downloaded.

Two things to keep in mind with a downloaded dash. One is that older coaches like ours might not have all the data available that some of the newer coaches have. Some gauges might not work with your particular coach. My '04 only has the J1708 data bus, as Cummins was just switching to the J1939 standard. Hopefully your '05 has the J1939 data bus.

The second is that some custom dashes might distort when you download them if the screen sizes don't match up. The dash I created on one Android tablet doesn't import well into my newer tablet, or the Windows PC version. But for what I am suggesting, that isn't a big deal. You will learn how to fix it!


Very helpful thanks for sharing your experience. Now I need to go play

Jeff Rugg
__________________
Hello In April we purchased 2005 Alpine coach 5258 It a 40ft fd4slide unit pushed by a Cummins 400hp 6c8.9 engine Bought in April 20017 in Charleston Sc
jeflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
brandss's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Frankfort, KY
Posts: 1,120
I'm following because I had the same problems with getting it setup. I actually put it away since we can't go anywhere now. I haven't looked but it would be fantastic if you could see what dashes to download and the developers coach and hardware used to view the dash.
__________________
Scott Brandstetter
2014 Tiffin Allegro Bus 45LP
Full Timers for now
Home State is Kentucky
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 04:04 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Jim A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I'm following because I had the same problems with getting it setup. I actually put it away since we can't go anywhere now. I haven't looked but it would be fantastic if you could see what dashes to download and the developers coach and hardware used to view the dash.
There are about 20 dashes (with screenshots) in the repository that can be viewed from within the app.

I don't know for sure, but I am pretty sure the developer does not own a coach! He develops the app for all three platforms, and also relies on a small group of beta testers to try out updates to the app before they are released with our assorted coaches and hardware.

I have a few thousand miles on the road using the app. Needless to say I am happy with it.
__________________
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 05:31 AM   #6
Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Dataw Island SC
Posts: 81
Bluefire

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I'm following because I had the same problems with getting it setup. I actually put it away since we can't go anywhere now. I haven't looked but it would be fantastic if you could see what dashes to download and the developers coach and hardware used to view the dash.

I finally got the dash set up. You have to pick each item and customize it thae go to another. I finally got to the sample dashes but did lke any of them To much informaton
__________________
Hello In April we purchased 2005 Alpine coach 5258 It a 40ft fd4slide unit pushed by a Cummins 400hp 6c8.9 engine Bought in April 20017 in Charleston Sc
jeflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:15 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Jim A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,676
Simpler is better!! I agree that a lot of dashes have too many gauges for my taste. I liked the digital gauges that change color when in the warning or danger ranges. Only having J1708 data available keeps me from going overboard!


I assume you saw that you can designate a gauge you have set up as a Template Gauge for use in setting up additional gauges?
__________________
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 10:53 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
mchero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Full Time USA
Posts: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Simpler is better!! I agree that a lot of dashes have too many gauges for my taste. I liked the digital gauges that change color when in the warning or danger ranges. Only having J1708 data available keeps me from going overboard!


I assume you saw that you can designate a gauge you have set up as a Template Gauge for use in setting up additional gauges?
I like the gauges that are on the dash. Yeah, i tried the Silverleaf route but never really got into it. I paid $200 plus for the wifi dongle. Got it working with Vmspec but lost interest.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 08:39 PM   #9
Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Dataw Island SC
Posts: 81
Thank to all of your I finally have decent dash. All of my gauges remain in place but the text won't stay put. I save my dash but when open it the text has more I lock my gauges and they stay put. My question how do you lock the text In place. Thanks in advance.

Jeff Rugg
__________________
Hello In April we purchased 2005 Alpine coach 5258 It a 40ft fd4slide unit pushed by a Cummins 400hp 6c8.9 engine Bought in April 20017 in Charleston Sc
jeflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Jim A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,676
Jeff,


I am not sure what you mean by text. Are you talking about the text name that is part of a gauge, or have you set up a text gauge that is just text to show on the screen? A text gauge should lock like any other gauge. And how are you locking them? Locking each one individually using the Customize Gauges screen or locking all of them using the Customize Dash screen?


When you start the app and things have moved, have you tried to reload the dash using the Load Custom Dash option? If so, is that dash displayed how you saved it, or is it how it was when you started the app?


Just guessing since I have not experienced that problem.
__________________
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:23 PM   #11
Member
 
Alpine Owners Club
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Dataw Island SC
Posts: 81
My my mistake I was talking about text gauges. After a log trial and Doverís along with you helpI now have a dash like I wanted. My plug will be arriving shortly and then we are in business. The manual could use a little work a little soft in some areas. Thank you for sharing the info much appreciated

Stay safe
Jeff Rugg
__________________
Hello In April we purchased 2005 Alpine coach 5258 It a 40ft fd4slide unit pushed by a Cummins 400hp 6c8.9 engine Bought in April 20017 in Charleston Sc
jeflen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 03:46 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
mchero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Full Time USA
Posts: 2,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
I like the gauges that are on the dash. Yeah, i tried the Silverleaf route but never really got into it. I paid $200 plus for the wifi dongle. Got it working with Vmspec but lost interest.
X2!
Something to distract the driver!
I bought the Silverleaf WiFi and ran Vmspec for about a month.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 04:40 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Jim A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeflen View Post
My my mistake I was talking about text gauges. After a log trial and Doverís along with you helpI now have a dash like I wanted. My plug will be arriving shortly and then we are in business. The manual could use a little work a little soft in some areas. Thank you for sharing the info much appreciated

Stay safe
Jeff Rugg
__________________
Jim A
'04 Alpine Coach 36' MDDS
Jim A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 03:17 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
andy29847's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 602
This is an interesting thread. Thanks to all of you for sharing.

The RPM gauge has not worked on my 2001 Alpine Coach since I have had it. I have been using a Scan Gauge D to track RPM and it works great. However, I have always had this custom dash vision, and the Bluefire system might be just what I am looking for.

My tablet is a Samsung Tab A. It's Samsung's cheapest tablet. I downloaded the Bluefire APP from the Google Store yesterday afternoon. It has taken several attempts to build my dash. I have had some trouble with the APP locking up. I deleted it, ran maintenance on my tablet, uploaded the APP again, and it is working much better. I also had the same problem described above - my first dash looked good when I closed the APP, when I opened it back up, the gauges were stacked on top of each other. I deleted that dashboard and started over. If I understand what is going on correctly, the dashboard building process is very sensitive to following a certain sequence during the build process. Do not choose options for the dashboard before you complete the build. The individual gauges automatically save as you build them. I found it helpful to get like sized gauges positioned, then assign them to a group. When the dashboard is finished, you should go to dashboard options and lock the dashboard and possibly lock the orientation. My adapter should be here in a few days. I'm excited to have something to do in these virus times. Below is an image on the dash I created. Suggestions and comments are welcome.

__________________

__________________
2001 Alpine Coach 38/8
ACA 2018006
Andy
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fire



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BlueFire Dashboard Community Share redbaron73 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 255 05-17-2020 02:57 PM
BlueFire for Roadmaster Chassis R4R Pschweizer Monaco Owner's Forum 4 04-04-2019 09:27 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×