Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #1

Brake Booster Question

I have a 2001. My ABS light has come on and while troubleshooting that I found a broken sensor on the Hydro Max brake booster. There is an old posting on this ....did anyone know what this sensor is for, where to get a replacement? The Bosch technical data shows only a flow sensor. This broken sensor is on the inboard side of the booster. Other than the ABS light I haven't has any problems with the brakes.
TedG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:44 PM   #2

That sensor is the differential pressure switch. It will activate the brake light if there is a difference in the hydraulic pressure between the front and rear brakes, i.e. there is a leak somewhere. Mine was also broken and I had to replace the hydromax master cylinder. Not cheap!
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 01:44 PM   #3

Brake Booster Question

Thanks, It took awhile but I found a P/N for the switch and have one on order. I spoke to Bosch and they said the switch is replaceable. Getting the broken part out should not be a major problem.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #4

TedG- could you post the part # and your source for ordering? Thanks.
Old 11-08-2009, 06:50 PM   #5

Brake Booster Question

I was going to wait until the switch came in on Tuesday to be sure it's the correct part, but here's what I have. If I get the wrong part I'll update Tuesday. I ordered it through Hoover Truck Center here in NJ.

There's only one differential pressure switch for this master cylinder, chassis mfg use their own P/N. Hoover was able to cross reference the Ford number to the Freightliner number.

Bosch P/N 2232548
Ford P/N E1EC-2B264-AB
Freightliner P/N E2FZ-2B264B

I got the info from Dave Smith at Bosch, 574-237-2038. Very knowledgeable and helpful. He gave me the Bossch and Ford numbers.
Old 11-10-2009, 02:49 PM   #6

Brake Booster Question Update

I received the correct switch. It's a Ford part, P/N 6U9Z-2B264-A. Not cheap...$70.00 with tax.
Old 11-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #7

Ted,

Mine is also broken right where it enters the brake booster. Must be a poorly designed part.

The one on my 2000 is a green plastic part with a single electrical connection. Does this sound like the replacement Ford part you received? Does it screw into the brake booster? If yours is broken at the same place, how did you get the broken piece out of the brake booster? Do you need to re-bleed the brake lines after replacing the part?

2000 Alpine Coach Limited 36FDS
Lindenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #8

Brake Booster Question

The diffrerential pressure switch is on the master cylinder, inboard side. There is a switch mounted on the top side of the brake booster. It's a flow switch, and if it's not working your backup pump won't work.

These switches electrical connectors look the same. I don't know about the flow switch but the differential pressure switch is a mechanical switch, has a metal plunger tha activates when either front or rear brake pressure changes....a leak in front or rear brakes.

The weather is bad so I haven't got the broken part out. My plan is to use a small easyout. The threads are plastic so it should come out without much effort. Not sure if I can get it without removing the master cylinder, but if I can no bleeding of brakes is required.
Old 11-20-2009, 12:19 PM   #9

Brake Booster Question Update

Removing the broken plastic part of the differential pressure switch from the master cylinder with an easyout didn't work out. I removed the master cylinder (4 bolts to remove it from the brake booster) , used a heat gun to soften the plastic , and removed it with an awl. Cleaned up the threads and installed the new switch. Reinstalled the master cylinder and good to go.

I refilled the master cylinder reservoir and let it gravity feed through the master cylinder before connecting the output lines. The brakes are fine, pedal does not pump up so no need to bleed them. However I may go ahead and bleed them just to get some new fluid into the system.