Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2018, 06:33 AM   #1

Brake Lights Staying On

I spoke to fright liner about my brake lights staying on and was told that there was a pressure switch that may be bad. Would any one know where on the Alpine that switch may be located. The only thing I was told is that it is somewhere in the front of the coach. I was also told there was a recall on the switch would any one know about that.

Thank You for your help!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2018, 06:46 AM   #2

No brake fluid pressure switch on an Alpine--since your Alpine has a proprietary "Peak" chassis, a freight-liner guy would likely have no idea on this issue. Don't recall if 2004 has adjustable brake pedals but if yes, the switch is on/near the brake pedal arm under the dash; if not, the switch is on the linkage under the floor of the driver's position, just in front of the hydro-boost/master brake cylinder.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 06:50 AM   #3

Braake Lights staying on

Thank You, I replaced the switch on the on the brake arm and the lights still are staying on. Can you tell me what the switch looks like in the front of the coach?
Old 09-29-2018, 07:07 AM   #4

This is the switch for adjustable peddles.
Note the two red wires are what I added for my brake controller that yours likely will not have.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180404_153922860.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	220879
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 07:09 AM   #5

Brake Lights Staying on

That is the switch I replaced but I was told there was another pressure switch somewhere but I don't know where it's located, do you?
Old 09-29-2018, 07:16 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackduncan View Post
That is the switch I replaced but I was told there was another pressure switch somewhere but I don't know where it's located, do you?
Ok, good. I believe this is the only switch for a adjustable peddle setup.
Check for continuity across the left-most two wires in the picture. They shouldn't have continuity when the peddle is not being pushed. If they do them that's where your problem is. This type of switch is a Ford setup and is notorious for being a bit finicky on adjustment.
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:19 AM   #7

Also make sure the peddle is returning all the way.
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:25 AM   #8

Brake Lights Staying on

I did not see any adjustments on the switch did I miss something? Can you adjust the switch?
Old 09-29-2018, 07:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackduncan View Post
I did not see any adjustments on the switch did I miss something? Can you adjust the switch?
I don't actually think there is an adjustment. But if the pedal doesn't return completely it will leave the lights on.
(ie no cruise). By the way cruise works with the Jake but I don't think the Jake works with the cruise on. My Jake is aways on as I tow heavy.
I seem to recall reading prior posts about the pedals getting sticky on the system.
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Old 09-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #10

The brake lights are exclusively controlled by the white/blk wires to the switch Angelo identified. No other input initiates the brake lights. Problem has to be there.
Check-
Ahead of firewall w/gen slide out your 2004 should have a rotating vertical pipe that connects the pedal action to the left-right positioned brake master cylinder (if you don't have that then your 2004 is really a 2003 chassis); that vertical tube can rust and stick so that the brake pedal doesn't return properly. If that is happening, just remobe the small nut @ top of tube, unclip the rods that connect pedal to MC, and clean & lube the inside surfaces at top & bottom of tube, re-install.
If the tube is returning brake pedal to normal position then its in the switch identified above.

If your brake pedal depresses slightly when you start the engine, you have a pressure problem in the hydraulic boost that needs to be serviced. This is rare, but rare doesn't care when its the actual problem.
Old 10-04-2018, 10:45 AM   #11

Brake Lights Staying on

Thank You I will check it out.
Old 10-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #12

Brake Lights staying on

Well I checked the arm the switch and anything else I can find and still the lights are on. Yesterday when I check it the lights were off I hit the brake pedal and it all worked. Today when we went to clean the motorhome I seen the lights were on again, what the hell. Know one here wants to work on it so I am trying anything. I think I may try to buy another switch but I don't think thats is what is wrong. Anyone have any idea's?
Old 10-07-2018, 02:20 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Unplug the wire harness from the brake switch (unplugged should be an open brake light circuit) and make sure your brake lights are off and stay off with engine running as well as with key off too. If the lights are off with the switch unplugged I think the problem is the switch or pedal mechanism. Before you plug the connector back onto the plug you need to put a multimeter on the two pins on the switch and figure out what is closing the switch without you pressing the pedal. It could be the pedal is sticky and not fully returning up. Pull up on it while you watch your multimeter. My switch has two pressure contacts inside the slot on the switch that are pushed on by flats on the end off the brake rod. The brake rod is inside the slot in the switch.
c_oneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 02:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_oneil View Post
Unplug the wire harness from the brake switch (unplugged should be an open brake light circuit) and make sure your brake lights are off and stay off with engine running as well as with key off too. If the lights are off with the switch unplugged I think the problem is the switch or pedal mechanism. Before you plug the connector back onto the plug you need to put a multimeter on the two pins on the switch and figure out what is closing the switch without you pressing the pedal. It could be the pedal is sticky and not fully returning up. Pull up on it while you watch your multimeter. My switch has two pressure contacts inside the slot on the switch that are pushed on by flats on the end off the brake rod. The brake rod is inside the slot in the switch.
Thanks Carter, I was trying to figure out how to word it.
MARYSVILLE, WA.

Tags
brake, brake lights, light, lights