Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-18-2018, 05:32 AM   #1

Brakes

I like everything about the alpine’s for the exception of the poor break design.
Does anyone have a solution to improve the breaking?
victormoxey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2018, 07:33 AM   #2

....well strap on your reading glasses and do a search of this forum using "brakes" and "f104" in the search string....after a night or two of reading, let us all know how you are doing.
PS--nice to know what year and model you own.....
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
....well strap on your reading glasses and do a search of this forum using "brakes" and "f104" in the search string....after a night or two of reading, let us all know how you are doing.
PS--nice to know what year and model you own.....

Thanks! Will do .. I have owned a 99 36’ , 02 40’, and now a 05 36’
Old 02-18-2018, 08:00 AM   #4

....then you probably know more about Alpines than most of us.....assume you are talking about issues with your newest coach--the 05. In 04, Alpine changed to adjustable brake pedals--apparently the geometry in the linkage is off, so pedal pressure is increased. Things that can help: 1-move petals all the way forward or back for max leverage, 2-change/flush fluid every 2-3 years [4-wheels off], and 3-replace OEM MC [2"] with smaller 1.5" dia after-market. Some have also replaced brake hoses or re-welded linkage to increase leverage......
PS--change hydraulic system fluid [drives brakes, cooling fan, and steering] every 3-4 years, w/ filters and ISO46 type fluid.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 02-18-2018, 08:47 AM   #5

I just had the brakes on my 04 flushed and had the master cylinder replaced with the smaller bore version. The improvement has been significant, in fact, I can't imagine it could be any better for a vehicle of this size.
Mocha Latte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 12:12 PM   #6

...another potential issue is pad/disc glazing but compared to all the other aforementioned issues, glazing is a much longer shot.....IMHO
New Braunfels, Texas
Old 02-18-2018, 01:49 PM   #7

Brakes on Alpines require maintenance. Nothing unusual about that. Four wheel hydraulic disks properly maintained will stop your coach very well -- two or four piston calipers. If you ever had to perform a panic stop, I mean the kind where anything not secured goes flying forward, you will be thankful for those disk brakes. Cannot say I had the same experience with air over drum. On my 99 FDS there is nothing to improve (expect the ABS and that is not WRV's fault). When your tires are on the edge of their traction limit during a hard brake, it doesn't get any better than that. It seems of all ink spilt regarding Alpine brakes, the issue is pedal feel and required foot pressure, not the actual disk brake performance on older or later Alpines.
AKOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 07:46 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
....then you probably know more about Alpines than most of us.....assume you are talking about issues with your newest coach--the 05. In 04, Alpine changed to adjustable brake pedals--apparently the geometry in the linkage is off, so pedal pressure is increased. Things that can help: 1-move petals all the way forward or back for max leverage, 2-change/flush fluid every 2-3 years [4-wheels off], and 3-replace OEM MC [2"] with smaller 1.5" dia after-market. Some have also replaced brake hoses or re-welded linkage to increase leverage......
PS--change hydraulic system fluid [drives brakes, cooling fan, and steering] every 3-4 years, w/ filters and ISO46 type fluid.

Wow I’m so glad to find this chat ! This is encouraging! I will do what you recommend.. thank you for all of your time !! I just need to find out where to buy the part and how to do it all . I’m an electrical engineer lol.
Old 02-19-2018, 07:54 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKOne View Post
Brakes on Alpines require maintenance. Nothing unusual about that. Four wheel hydraulic disks properly maintained will stop your coach very well -- two or four piston calipers. If you ever had to perform a panic stop, I mean the kind where anything not secured goes flying forward, you will be thankful for those disk brakes. Cannot say I had the same experience with air over drum. On my 99 FDS there is nothing to improve (expect the ABS and that is not WRV's fault). When your tires are on the edge of their traction limit during a hard brake, it doesn't get any better than that. It seems of all ink spilt regarding Alpine brakes, the issue is pedal feel and required foot pressure, not the actual disk brake performance on older or later Alpines.

Thank you for your insight!!
Old 02-19-2018, 09:27 AM   #10

Spartan Chassis
Be sure to test your brake backup motor by stepping on the brake peddle with coach parked and key turned off. You should here the motor turn on with the peddle pushed. I failed to do this and I totaled my 2000 alpine coach.
gatorv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:51 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorv View Post
Be sure to test your brake backup motor by stepping on the brake peddle with coach parked and key turned off. You should here the motor turn on with the peddle pushed. I failed to do this and I totaled my 2000 alpine coach.

Ouch ! Okay I have heard that noise and never knew if it was a good thing.. what is that motor for ?
Old 02-19-2018, 10:19 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by victormoxey2 View Post
Ouch ! Okay I have heard that noise and never knew if it was a good thing.. what is that motor for ?
It serves the same purpose as the engine-driven hydraulic pump-- it provides the "power boost" for the brakes.

It is there so you retain full brake function in the event of an engine stop condition.
Old 02-19-2018, 10:39 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post
It serves the same purpose as the engine-driven hydraulic pump-- it provides the "power boost" for the brakes.

It is there so you retain full brake function in the event of an engine stop condition.

Okay.. great to know thanks!
Old 02-19-2018, 02:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfe10 View Post

Hey Brett, I did this brake check and did not hear anything.What would I check first to try and resolve a non operating back up brake motor?
2003 34FDDS Alpine Banks 430hp #74869
Viola, Idaho 3rd Armored Cav & 3rd Infantry Division
tiredvet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes