Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2011, 10:27 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Brakes

Here it comes again, but I don't have access to a computer and the search won't let me narrow down to the Alpine forum.
So here goes.
Took the coach out for a drive and both front calipers were dragging. We have never had the recall done on our coach that I am aware of. Dave F tried to talk me through moving the caliper so I could grease the pins, but I cannot get the clearance to pull the pins out....try as I might.
I am going to take it in for repair and spend ABSWOM. Should I take it to a Cummins or a Freightliner dealer?
If I need to replace the calipers, what is the proper way to go?
Of course we have the Bendix brakes.

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 05:32 PM   #2

I believe you have the ZOPS calipers which are similar to the ones on the Freightliner recall but not the same. I replaced the calipers myself but if you don't have the necessary tools I would take it to any good truck shop that will work on motorhomes. My Cummins shop will not touch anything other than engine work and the Freightliner shop will not work on a non Freightliner chassis so I have few choices, maybe you are in a better location.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:55 PM   #3

I'd hunt around for an independent place that does truck brakes. You'll know you have the right joint when you walk in & they have pallets filled w/brake shoes for trucks. Most large towns have such a shop, and they work on all brands. Gotta be a few around Indianapolis.
Old 06-27-2011, 05:25 PM   #4

Alpine Owners Club
Are the calipers Bosch or Bendix? Freightliner found a Bendix number. NAPA found a Bosch number, says it is a 73 mm piston
Old 06-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Here is a pic of the caliper.
Thx
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1378201833.png
Views:	97
Size:	776.8 KB
ID:	11679  
Old 06-27-2011, 06:07 PM   #6

The number you see is the casting number, 4153222. A simple search will show that this is the Bosch 55850 caliper. It is the 73mm ZOPS.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:21 PM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
John and Mary,
Thanks you are the best!
Old 06-30-2011, 08:38 PM   #8

Alpine Owners Club
Spending a BSWOM as E M would say. Had a rear axle seal leaking, plus replacing the seals up front (since we are there)for good measure. New calipers and brake hardware. Pads looked almost new so they didn't recommend new pads. Rotors look great too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-240949938.png
Views:	121
Size:	761.1 KB
ID:	11749   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-258565671.png
Views:	123
Size:	943.1 KB
ID:	11750  

Name:	image-2943829434.png
Views:	101
Size:	919.7 KB
ID:	11751  
Old 07-26-2011, 03:26 PM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Were you able to get the new calipers made by Bosch that are being installed on the Workhorse chassis, if not then what you do have will likely fail again as mine did.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
We matched numbers on the calipers. They could possibly be the same type, but keeping the brake fluid clean should keep us from having problems. I'm not entirely sure we didn't have hardware problems ONLY. I still would have chosen to replace the calipers anyway. I didn't want to have problems down the road and let the repair facility have the excuse that it was a caliper problem.
We got 11 years and 65K miles use on the system, so here is hoping for another 11 years. Wish us luck I really don't want to part with a BSWOM again. Oops we need tires soon!
Old 07-26-2011, 06:01 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Greg,
If you replaced yours before, how long were you able to run the second set of calipers and did you replace all the hardware too?
Old 07-26-2011, 07:53 PM   #12

My understanding of the rumors back when the Workhorse recall began was that Bosch would be converting all of this caliper family's pistons to the new phenolic coated type (for those who were not following, Bosch was using a phenolic coating on the caliper pistons that was hygroscopic, i.e. would absorb water over time out of the brake fluid and swell and stick in the bore causing brake drag; the new WH calipers, and all others of the 66 and 73mm piston calipers were to get a new, more swell resistant phenolic coating in all future caliper builds).

So if the BSWOM converted into genuinely fresh calipers, they should be good to go. Or stop. Or, well, er, um, you know... If the newbies were on the shelf since before the new phenolic, I'm guessing those sold as is. Hopefully the former.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:34 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
Swell!
Old 09-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #14
JJK

Mike,

I just started having the same problem on my 2000 36' FDDS. I saw some of your other post that recommended flushing the fluid and greasing the slides. I am going to try that first. However, if I need to get new calipers do you know if Bosch has released the newer units? I have looked for a contact number to contact them and have been unable to do find any phone numbers. If they have, do you possibly know the correct part numbers for the correct 73mm units?

Thanks!
JJK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brakes