Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2021, 11:46 AM   #1

Alpine Owners Club
Broken Screen Door Glass

Last night as I went to lock up the coach I latched the screen door to the entry door and as I was closing them the small glass slider in the screen door literally exploded in my face mid close. Anyone ever have this happen?
The screen door is welded together, so replacing the tempered glass doesn't appear to be an option, as the glass slider channels are welded in place. Maybe I'm missing something, but for now I'm going to attempt to cut a piece of plexiglass to fit and bend it in to the channels.
Has anyone got a better solution, short of replacing the screen door or grinding out the channel welds and replacing the glass, if it's still available?
I'm really not sure what caused this to happen, as I've opened and closed these doors the same way a gazillion times before. I did notice a tiny pebble was laying in the bottom of the glass channel when I vacuumed up the mess this am.
Thoughts?
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2021, 12:26 PM   #2

I replaced the sliding glass in my door. It had a piece of plexiglass in it from the previous owner and it looked like crap. I took the measurement to a glass co. and had them make a piece of tempered glass the same size and also had a hole drilled in it for a knob, I spotted the hole location. I seem to remember a 3/32 hole.

As I recall there is a piece of plastic in the door channel, like an inverted plastic channel, that the glass rides on. You can pull it up and out and put the new glass in and replace the plastic guide, slide or whatever you want to call it. The glass rides on it, it's like a spacer also.

I believe you push the glass into the top channel to get clearance on the bottom to get it in the bottom channel. The plastic spacer, guide thing adds height to keep the top of the glass in the top channel. I think you have to push the glass to the full open position to replace the plastic piece.

I know exactly what I mean here, but that doesn't necessarily mean anybody else will. Don't hesitate to ask for a clarification!!!

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 12:41 PM   #3

Yes, you are missing something. (I missed it too. The technician at RV Glass Solutions showed it to me.) There is a plastic track/spacer under the glass panels. Use a hook tool to lift the end of it up, and pull it out. If the slider was still in place, it would then drop far enough to clear the top track, and easily come out. The stationary window is double stick taped in place. And there is a foam spacer of some sort in there to cushion the slider from hitting the track side.

Mine didn't break. I wanted to replace my clear glass panels with tinted glass. I gave my dimensions to a local glass shop, and they provided tempered glass replacements. I would give you the dimensions, but I have a mid door, so they might not be correct for you. The slider and the stationary panel are the same size. The only difference is slider includes a hole for the knob.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:44 PM   #4

Terry beat me to the answer. I type slow.
Old 06-06-2021, 12:48 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
I replaced the sliding glass in my door. It had a piece of plexiglass in it from the previous owner and it looked like crap. I took the measurement to a glass co. and had them make a piece of tempered glass the same size and also had a hole drilled in it for a knob, I spotted the hole location. I seem to remember a 3/32 hole.

As I recall there is a piece of plastic in the door channel, like an inverted plastic channel, that the glass rides on. You can pull it up and out and put the new glass in and replace the plastic guide, slide or whatever you want to call it. The glass rides on it, it's like a spacer also.

I believe you push the glass into the top channel to get clearance on the bottom to get it in the bottom channel. The plastic spacer, guide thing adds height to keep the top of the glass in the top channel. I think you have to push the glass to the full open position to replace the plastic piece.

I know exactly what I mean here, but that doesn't necessarily mean anybody else will. Don't hesitate to ask for a clarification!!!

Terry
Thanks Terry.
That makes sense, I'll try and remove that plastic spacer and go from there. Can one of you fine folks measure the width of the sliding glass panel and I'll eventually get a new glass one made up. The plexiglass would be temporary at best, or at least good enough to use as a template for the glass shop to replicate. My internet search for a replacement glass has, so far, turned up zilch.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-06-2021, 12:56 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Thanks guys.
It's a 2000 36FDS model. This is the "skinny" door one.
Good to know both pieces of glass are the same size.
I should now have enough information to probably break the other one lol...
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-06-2021, 01:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim A View Post
Terry beat me to the answer. I type slow.
You can't type any slower than I think.

My glass is 12.5'' wide by 13.75" tall. Both pieces are the same size.

I have a 40' FDTS so yours might be different.
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 02:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post
You can't type any slower than I think.

My glass is 12.5'' wide by 13.75" tall. Both pieces are the same size.

I have a 40' FDTS so yours might be different.

Same size as mine. Your width might be different, but the height is probably the same. Here is what I gave the local glass shop.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Screen Door Glass.pdf (19.2 KB, 38 views)
Old 06-06-2021, 03:30 PM   #9

Alpine 36,
My 1998 Alpine FDS has the same skinny door as yours. A PO installed a plexiglass slider in the door. It is 11 1/16 wide X 12 3/4 tall.

The plastic spacer for the bottom channel is missing.
Please post a picture or a description of the plastic spacer if you can.

I would like to install a new glass slider as you are planning to do.

Thanks
gmcgene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 11:05 AM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcgene View Post
Alpine 36,
My 1998 Alpine FDS has the same skinny door as yours. A PO installed a plexiglass slider in the door. It is 11 1/16 wide X 12 3/4 tall.

Thanks
Will do Gene, but probably can't get to it until next week.
Son and daughter in law have "commandeered" the coach for a couple days...
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 06-07-2021, 07:26 PM   #11

Well here we go again with variations.

My 2004 skinny door screen has a fixed pane 10 1/4” wide, and an acrylic slider pane of 9 7/8” wide. The screen has the push latch upgrade so a notch had to be cut in the slider to fit around the mechanism.

Also, there is a gilde insert in both the top and bottom channels.

I can’t confirm if fixed glass is og, but I can’t think of why it wouldn’t be. The two sizes I gave allows for only an overlap of about 1/8” or less. The vertical edges of the frame openings, at both ends, is not a channel where the panes fit, but a padded end that is flush with the frame metal sides.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 10:00 PM   #12

Correction.

The fixed pane is 9 7/8” wide and the slider is 10 1/4”.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2021, 09:09 AM   #13

I cut a piece of PlexiGlass and it looks fine , to me.
Old 06-10-2021, 01:16 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcgene View Post
Alpine 36,

Thanks
Sorry I didn't get a picture of the spacer panel, but it's simply a u shaped piece of plastic 1/4" wide (the width of the channel)
by 5/8" high by 17" long. Insert it with the slider glass fully open and pushed upward, slide the channel back in place with the flat side facing up. I cut a piece of lexan 13-5/8" high by 10-3/8" wide and reinstalled the knob, works just fine.
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ

Tags
door, scr