Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2010, 05:31 PM   #1

Broken Window

I returned to the coach from an errand, only to discover that the fixed lower part of the window behind the passenger chair was shattered. Looking from the outside, there is a small hole and you can see some spidery lines. It's almost like a small rock passed thru the outside pane but didn't make it through to the inside pane. From the inside, you can see that the whole outside pane is shattered but the inside part of the window is in tact. I could not find anything that might have shattered the window. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 06:21 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Could have been a arrant pellet gun shot or BB, haven't had windows hit but compartment doors.
For glass replacement this company maybe what you want.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:27 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Weed eater / edger throwing small pebbles can do that easily... also make small nicks in the paint on the side of your RV ...
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 06:36 PM   #4

Windows are easy to R and R. Take it to a reputable commerical glass company and they should be able to replace the broken piece with tempered glass and if shaded should be able to make a close match. Cost will be about one fifth of a new window. Worked for me. Also when replacing window use the silcone putty tape to seal the window versus the old type putty tape which works out from under the frame and collects dirt
RVhauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:11 PM   #5

Happened to me while in a secure storage facility. Could have been from a passing train or someone throwing a rack. My outer pane completely shattered though but luckily the inner pane is holding up. Just waiting for a suitable time to take out the frame and hop on down to the glass store as rvhauler suggested. Mine was the sliding pane over the kitchen sink.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 06:22 AM   #6

"007"... thanks for the lead.

Does anyone know who manufactured the windows for the Alpines? A glass guy came by and said he'd investigate his sources but didn't think he could find a match with the solar stuff on it.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:09 AM   #7

Here ya go:

Window Plants
Old 08-03-2010, 03:38 PM   #8

Thank you, Jim&MaryJo.

I contacted the California Window Plant of Hehr International, and they are the ones who made the windows for Western RV. As it turns out, my insurance company works with Duncan RV systems in Elkhart, Indiana, who works with the company in California. They will build me a new window, which will take about four weeks. Duncan RV is where I had the bolts replaced in my chassis, so we will return there in September to have some other things checked, and have the window replaced there at the same time.

This forum is awesome for the collective knowledge of the owners.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I believe that the reference to "Silicon putty tape" is in fact Butyl Putty tape, which can be had at almost all RV parts places. Now another tip, the urethane stuff WRV used is susceptible to UV rays and it also bubbles out under the windows if enough heat hits the black frame. Over time this will allow water to sneak in and cause bubbling behind the fiberglass skin - commonly called delaminating!

To prevent this, the windows should be removed and the urethane scraped off the frame, the skin cleaned with alcohol and new butyl putty tape put on the frame and then the window reinstalled. I don't know if any torque values are necessary on the screws which hold them in, but good & hand tight should be enough. Then a very small bead of your choice of outside caulk around the frame will keep those windows watertight for years to come. I have to do this to the bathroom window when I find the time and place to do it. I will work up from the small windows to the large ones and get a couple of helpers to do the largest one because it would be expensive to replace all that glass.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote