Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 AM   #1

I messed up. I was using a nylon scrubbie to assist in getting the bugs off the front of the coach. It worked great until I had to use some elbow grease to remove some of the more tenacious corpses. I then noticed that I had effectively removed some of the finish and now there was a "bruise", or dull spot where I scrubbed a bit harder. I tried some "Gel Gloss Clean and Wax" on it but that didn't help. Does anyone know of anything that will restore the shine to those spots?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2007, 06:50 AM   #2

I messed up. I was using a nylon scrubbie to assist in getting the bugs off the front of the coach. It worked great until I had to use some elbow grease to remove some of the more tenacious corpses. I then noticed that I had effectively removed some of the finish and now there was a "bruise", or dull spot where I scrubbed a bit harder. I tried some "Gel Gloss Clean and Wax" on it but that didn't help. Does anyone know of anything that will restore the shine to those spots?
gator67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 08:04 AM   #3

If it's not too bad, try using StarBrite Marine polish. It has a mild abrasive in it and I used it to "renew" the Gel-coat on a number of my boats. It also has UV protection and makes cleaning abit easier.

Be really careful. Gel-coat is very thin and can be damaged to the point of no return. It must then be painted with a 2-part Urethane product like Awlgrip to get the lustre back.
rmmpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 11:16 AM   #4

Unlike the early models, the 2005 models should have full body paint, so you would not be polishing gel coat, but paint. You could use whatever you would use to buff out paint scratches. And on the front of the coach you might be polishing on the 3M protective film if the coach had that option.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:30 AM   #5

Good thought.
I have an older Coach and my thought-process is limited by the limited knowledge I have of a limited subject.

But I have my limits too.
Old 08-04-2007, 02:25 PM   #6

I think all coaches since 03 or 04 came standard with the protective front coating. My guess is that you have rubbed a dull spot in your plastic coating. You have either the 3M or Avery brand film. I would check there web sites to see what they recommend for a polish.

I use a very mild car polish to clean up dull spots and never rub hard!
Danny Gayhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:13 AM   #7

Alpine Owners Club
I've been waxing and polishing the coach this week end (they don't call it LABOR Day for Nothin'). On the white panel aft of the slide, the finish looked very streaky when looked at from an angle. I tried Protect All with negative results (though the Protect All did a great job on the rest of the exterior), same with Turtle Wax. Went to the auto supply store and they reccomended a liquid Clay Bar by Turtle Wax. That did take out the streaks. Then I waxed with the Turtle Wax. No streaking now but that section looks slighty darker than the rest of that side. It occurs to me that the color change could be a result of the wax or it could be the clay bar. I would like to hear other's thoughts on this and some ideas on what I might need to do to get the entire side to have the same level of brightness.
Old 09-04-2007, 02:13 AM   #8

Although I've had no real issue with "streaks", I have noticed that areas I've polished with different products appear slightly different. Example; areas polished with McGuiers is slightly darker than is an area I polished with Star-Bright.
Suggestion:
Try using the same material on an area you did something different to see if there is any different. If so, sorry to say, the choices are limited to leaving it the way it is or re-polishing the entire side to bring it to consistency.
So much for Labor Day, yes?

The biggest problem I have is the streaks on the accent stripes at the rear. I believe they used tape because it just won't come back to a consistent "streakless" color.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:06 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Jerry - I have a '05 38 FDTS, they came with Diamond Shield protecting the front. If you look closely, particularly around the windshield wiper root, you will be able to see there is a oval cut out in the paint. That actually is the clear Diamond Shield over the paint, so you are most likely polishing that product. I have never tried to do something like that, but if you go to their web site they have information on maintaining it http://www.diamond-shield.com/productcare.htm
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote