Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #1

Buying Older Used Coach, Alpine VS Foretravel

I've spent a fair amount of time researching these two brands and I posted a question on the Foretravel forum but it hasn't gotten any activity. The Alpine owners forum here is clearly more active and that is a plus for me in this comparison right off the bat.

The Foretravel GV320 that I'm considering had a MUCH higher original MSRP than the Alpine, and it came with Aqua-Hot, transmission retarder, ect as standard equipment. From what I have read, the Foretravel is very much top-of-th-line, but Alpine seems to have an excellent reputation as well, along with arguably as good or better ride and handling characteristics.

So, in an-all-things-being-equal comparison, what do you choose between a 2000 Grand Villa 320 and a 2003 Alpine 36'?
SWFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2021, 01:58 PM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Arguably, or maybe not, many feel 2003 was the best year for Alpine.
It is the last year before wiring system multiplexing (Vansco) and the ISL was available.
Foretravel is definately a high end coach, and yes, they were very expensive. Personally I'd pick the one in the best overall condition that has complete service history and well loved.
We love our Alpine, it's is almost scary quiet and comfortable to drive.
Good luck in your search.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 02:38 PM   #3

Foretravel is a fabulous coach. I looked at them when I was shopping. I picked an Alpine because it was cheaper.

The high end coaches have great features, but they can also be expensive to maintain. You mention the Aqua-Hot furnace in the Foretravel. I noticed on this forum when I was shopping that there were a LOT of post of people have issues with their Aqua-Hot furnace ($$$). My 2001 alpine is nice looking, the inside is made with good materials, and it is relatively simple to maintain.

Something else that scared me about the Foretravel "U" coaches. The front and rear axle units are tied together by a light metal frame and assembled with special fasteners (think self tapping screws). The place where the axle units are joined to the frame is a sandwich of different kinds of material. Some Foretravel owners have had problems with the screws loosing, water getting in the joint, and then rust in the joint. Read more here: Foretravel Motorhome Bulkhead Separation | All Things Foretravel
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:40 PM   #4

Not trying to talk you out of an older MH because I do think that can be the best choice and that is what we have. ( 1987 Bluebird ) No problems with a bunch of electronically operated accessories, no leaking or malfunctioning slides, no sticks and staples shoddy workmanship by poorly trained employees and built on a million mile chassis.
That being said, I do all of my own maint. and the support and expertise available from the Wanderlodge Owners Group is nothing short of fantastic. They have all of the schematics and answers to maint and repair questions along with sources for needed parts. ( The main reason we bought a Bluebird Wanderlodge ) If you are planning to have the bulk of maint. and repairs done by a shop it can get real expensive very quickly. Buy the best coach you can find with a documented maint. history from an experienced owner and you will enjoy many more trouble free miles. In general the more the seller knows about the workings of the coach the better care they have taken of it. Ask many questions and make sure that you know how to operate EVERYTHING before you take possession. TAKE NOTES !! These coaches are complicated machines and can have a long learning curve.
Roy-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 03:54 PM   #5

Foretravel is still easy to get parts and they have good bones. Find it strange the foreforum didn’t get any traction on the topic. I bought my U320 about 5yrs ago and probably won’t ever buy another brand after learning and seeing the quality. I am not familiar with Alpine as I have never seen the inside but the only trade I will make for my 02 is a newer one with bunk beds for the grand kids..

Foretravel has a bigger engine and trans.. 8 big on the outside of the body to keep the roll out when going into drives.. aquahot are great and once you use it, it will be hard to go back to the propane. Exercise the aquahot and maintain it properly and they are very reliable. They had a much higher purchase price originally for a reason “Quality”.

When you walk in a foretravel the world disappears “ no noise from outside”. Solid cabinets and so on..

Foretravel is alive and well and usually foreforums.com is super responsive on questions or working problems..

My 2 cents

Good luck in your search
Old 04-25-2021, 06:15 PM   #6

Been "nosing" around this issue for the last few weeks--my issue is whether to keep my 2003 Alpine or "upgrade" to a Foretravel? First I believe its an "apples vs oranges" comparison. The Foretravel is a much higher end coach both now and back then. I was at MotorHomes of Texas two week ago and visited with a new owner who was transitioning from his 1999 Discovery to a 2003 Foretravel U-series--he paid $100-120K???. Foretravel has a loyal following and seem to hold their value. I have only recently began to learned about the monocot-frame issues in the older Foretravels.
The 2000 thru 2003 Alpines are perhaps some of the best model years WRV made--in my opinion. I know my 2003 front to back--and appreciate the simplicity of design and modest elegance, with both the exterior and interior. Looking at the complexity of the newer Foretravels, I found the experience a bit intimidating. Good luck with your search.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying, travel