Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2011, 06:03 PM   #1

Card Lock fueling for RV's

I know there a lot of good stations out there. Just thought I would throw this out if anybody is interested.

I have had Pacific Pride card lock cards for about 20 years. There are 1400+ sites across the US and Canada. There is a directory and 800 find line. There are a lot along freeways that are easy to find with their bright orange and yellow colors. Their fuel is competitively priced and I have never had a quality issue. When I get fuel, I don't like waiting in long lines of RV's. I can go on the truck side, get my fuel and get going just scanning my magnetic card. You choose your pin number.

The franchisee for Pacific Pride is Pioneer Fuel that caters to RV's. Their website is
pacificpride.us
800-959-3835
You can call or email them if you have more questions.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2011, 07:29 PM   #2

I use a local cardlock joint near my stick house and its nice not to have to mess w/indoor communications like at Love's.
Have a buddy who uses Pacific Pride and he loves it. He gets a bill once a month.

I keep looking for the one where I swipe my card and they comp me the gas. Haven't found it yet.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:15 PM   #3

Thanks I will check this out.

Mark
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #4

YUP - we've had and used PP cardlock for nearly 20 years as well - GREAT discount on both gas and diesel - there are 2 here in John Day, one at bottom of our hill less than 1/4 mile away...
Gary - K7GLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:17 PM   #5

Humm--must be a "west coast thing"....Generally speaking, it seems the majority of these card stations are in industrial areas or other off-beat locations which are poorly lit or not guarded--maybe this is a "mid-west thing?"
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 06:16 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
I contacted them a few years ago, but found their pricing is based on fuel plus a couple cents for the franchisee. Anyhow, after comparing, I found they consistently ran 2-3 cents higher that most fuel stops. It would be great for someone that put endless miles under their coach. Too bad they don't have a discount program.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:48 PM   #7

There are some stations in industrial areas, but there are lot on the interstate freeways which are denoted by an interstate symbol in the PP directory. You just have to know how to use the directory, the 800#, and their website.Some are just card locks and some are large truck stops. Since trucks use them 24-7, they are well lit. As far as security, I have never had a problem. At lot of police and goververnment agencies use them. I think would be hard to give a discount for rv's since we don't buy anything near what there commercial accounts do. With diesel around $4.00 a gallon, it seems prices can vary 2-3 cents a gallon. The one thing about cardlocks is that a lot of them move a lot of diesel. This can make difference in the quality of diesel, if you buy from a station that doesn't move a lot of diesel, with things like algae.

Like anything, the people that have it like it and others aren't interested. I have used PP and CFN for over 20 years with no problems. I don't like the hassle with credit cards at truck stops, I just want to get my fuel and get going. I just put this out because there might be someone interested.
kraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:37 AM   #8

Didnt mean to suggest that PP or others arent a good idea. Have often thought of using this type of fuel station but never got interested enough to look at the pricing differences. If the saving were significant, and locations were convenient, it would probably be a good deal. Historically, Flying J worked well for us but with the take over by Pilot, things are nolonger as convenient. And in general, it seems truck stops have gotten more problematic as drivers are leaving their trucks longer in the pump lanes to pay bills, buy lunch, or take showers [well, maybe not showers]. Point is, truck stops are getting to be a pain.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:12 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Just a quick note on my experience with PP. I've had their card for about 6 years now. The price I was paying at the PP sites was 6 to 8 cents per gallon less than at gas stations in my area. The Pilot opened a place near me. Twice since then I filled up at PP then compared the price with wat Pilot was charging on that day. In both cases Pilot was 20 cents per gallon less! So, I usually try to find a Truck Stop for fueling, with PP as a last resort. Just my experience in one location. For conviennce however PP can not be beat.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:47 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Thumbs down

I also had PP for a while and found that I always paid more for fuel with PP than the going price at the local truck stops in the area. The difference was always from .08 to .20 per gallon more at PP. I even used it in other states and found they were always more expensive than what was advertised at the stations we were near when I purchased fuel. One other thing I did not like about PP no price was ever shown on the pump and I had to wait for the bill before I could compare the prices. I haven’t used PP for about five years now and I do not miss it.
Dave Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 05:52 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
I went to the PP website, they require 2400 gallons a year of fuel purchases, so I don't qualify for that amount. Flying J/Pilot or Petro or Love's, most often take care of my fuel needs, with FLJ-P being my fuel up place of choice, with the diesel discount, usually easy access and one stop shopping for any quick food items, and they are most likely along any route I choose to take. PP stations are not easy to find or get into from the ones around where we live, maybe that is different along the interstates.

FWIW - Truck stops have been getting busier and harder to get in/out of faster, one reason more trucks on the road (yeaH recession), and some stations don't require the drivers to move out of the fuel lane when finished. But I put up with it because it is 100 time easier to use the truck lane as the car/rv lanes many stations have. The price will be the same except in AZ, as they have dedicated RV lanes and the price is usually cheaper that way, at least it was in Yuma last year.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 06:30 PM   #12

I carry a cfs (ramos oil) card. Its nice to have as a back up. Yes sometimes the gas cost more, but in a pinch trying to find diesel it's nice to have. Plus they are open 24/7 and you don't have to worry about overhead as semi's use these stations. Also some have propane for sale and it's usually a lot cheaper than at a regular gas station. They also give you a list of all of there stations. Just something nice to have in case your in a pinch and you find yourself low on diesel. Just my two cents.
ridahog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:11 PM   #13

Alpine Owners Club
OR:

PP has an RV program that doesn't have a fuel minimum, though IIRC it does have a registration fee (maybe annual).

I have been using an app on my smartphone called GasBuddy. It finds diesel by price or distance and then connects to the Google mapping program to locate it. By using the satellite layer on Maps, I can verify access and potential problems. I usually sort through by price and then check out the first one that is a truck stop or travel center.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by takepride View Post
OR:

PP has an RV program that doesn't have a fuel minimum, though IIRC it does have a registration fee (maybe annual).

I have been using an app on my smartphone called GasBuddy. It finds diesel by price or distance and then connects to the Google mapping program to locate it. By using the satellite layer on Maps, I can verify access and potential problems. I usually sort through by price and then check out the first one that is a truck stop or travel center.
Thanks for the info...I thought the cardlock stations were only for Commercial Customers. I'll check it out. I have one near my place and it's right on the onramp to I-5. would be real convenient !

Wayne & Pat White
Salem, Oregon
05' Avalanche/02'Grand Vitara Toad
Dubya is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rvs