Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #1

Carrying Spares, Fluids, Filters etc

Pondering what is really worth carrying. I believe fuel filters are worthwhile, easily changeable in a parking lot, but what else, gal of oil, gal of coolant, gal transynd?? Couple qts of each?

What are your thoughts? Preparedness is nice, but how much can you really do?

Thoughts!!
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2015, 08:17 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I don't carry filters because they have always been available to me overnight. Even at home it is overnight as most (auto) parts stores don't stock my filters. As for fluids I carry all you asked about and diesel fuel in a 5 Gal. container. If you are changing fuel filters or run the rig out of fuel you need to fill the filters to get a easy engine restart. Some engines demand pre-filling the filters.
t55watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:31 AM   #3

Terry,

Agree with your list. 2 fuel filters-- you never know when you could get a tank of contaminated diesel. Sure don't want to wait overnight on the side of the road.

A caution: Label the filters with the date purchased and use oldest first-- do not just keep them for years as "spares".
wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 08:34 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Fuses. assortments are available.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Overland Owners Club
We carry:
2 gal of oil - bought with last oil change.
1 qt tranny fluid - for HWH jacks.
2 headlight bulbs - old ones after changing to "bright white" ones.
Serpentine belt - old one from maintenance replacement.
Fuse assortment.
Dior Lap Sealant - for any roof issues (none yet).
Rubber mat to lay on (mine is a 6' x 8' piece of black EPDM).
Duct tape - you never know!
Cougarkid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2015, 09:08 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have 1 tote that I use to carry fluids ... typically I've got a gallon or two of distilled water so that I can top off the house batteries, a couple of quarts of oil, a quart or two of transmission fluid, a quart or two of hydraulic fluid. I also stick whatever vehicle cleaning supplies (vehicle wash, tire spray, RainX, etc.) in the same container.
Old 10-04-2015, 02:10 PM   #7

I carry all of the fluids used by the motorhome, plus all the ones used by my tow vehicle. In addition, I carry a spare fuel filter and all the belts and hoses I have replaced as spares to either use or compare to new.
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:10 AM   #8

Fuel filters, first choice. I also carry a half gallon of diesel fuel to prime the filter.
Every few months I pour that fuel into the ain't tank and add new fuel to the 1 gallon tank.
Mule Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:05 AM   #9

Thanks all,

I will get my spare kit put together. I already have the tools, fuses and what not and I'll add all of the fluids and filters to the mix.
Old 10-05-2015, 08:19 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Lightbulb

Both fuel filters and a gallon of diesel to prime them. A gallon of oil, gallon of Transynd and a couple gallons of coolant.

If you are going with fuel filters don't forget to bring along a wrench big enough to change them. So far we have not needed a fuel filter but if we do a quick fix on the side of the road and off again would be nice. We are lucky that both are located in the engine compartment and easy to get at.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 08:34 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
My fluids are hard to find (Mercedes) so I carry a quart or so of them all.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:05 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Carrying Spares, Fluids, Filters etc

Terry, your 2005 Alpine (as well as mine) has the Vansco system, so the only fuses you have are the small low voltage fuses (12 volt) located with the power panel (120 volt) and those (main power buss) located in the battery compartment.

The fluids should be oil (engine, hydraulic, transmission and HWH), as well as coolant and windshield solvent. I also carry a serpentine and the alternator/AC belt as well as an assortment of bulbs and stainless steel screws/bolts (SS can be used for pretty much anything on the coach, although you might not need SS), tie wraps, duct tape and a couple of funnels for adding coolant or oil (don't mix them). A fiberglass repair kit (I had a panel break loose and used it to reattach the steel mounting bracket to the rear of the panel), super glue and epoxy. Then there are the filters, fuel, if you have a HydroHot/Aquahot and HWH.

You might also carry an assortment of hand tools including a square drive screwdriver (WRV was crazy with square drive!). I have a small shop vac for clean ups around the coach as well as a folding 16' ladder.

I am sure there is more that I have overlooked and encourage others to chime in.

Beyond that it depends how far you want to go, I have a friend that carries enough tools he might be mistaken for a diesel mechanic. I think that is a bit much, it adds a lot of weight, but he feels comfortable while traveling.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Dave, Bobbi and Fenway
DrDaveMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 12:00 PM   #13

Thanks Dave,

I carry enough tools to do anything that I feel like I would want to take on whether on the road or at home. I have the fuses, ty wraps, duct tape as well as electrical connectors, crimpers, strippers, bulbs etc. My belts were replaced a few months ago but I will pick up new spares. I have a 12 1/2' telescoping ladder that collapses to 30". Air hose and chuck as well as a couple of extension cords and an electric drill. Some heater hose repair kits and clamps.

I will pick up spare screws, I like the square drive even more than I like drywall screws. I'll also get a fiberglass kit and some funnels.

If you can't fix it with ty wraps, duct tape, drywall screws and WD 40 you're pretty much screwed.

I might add a small shop vac, I've kicked that around a haven't really decided yet.

Thanks

Tags
fluid