Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2021, 10:10 AM   #1

Ceiling Light

We're looking at replacing our ceiling light over the table. Somebody on here posted a pic of a hanging lamp that they had installed and I am curious if its working out ok. I don't remember who it was or just how long ago, seems like a few weeks. I'd like to check the pic they posted. Anybody remember??

Also want to replace the sconces in the bedroom, trying to update a little.

One thing leads to another.

Thanks, Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2021, 11:18 AM   #2

I replaced it with a plain LED disc. Only 1/2" thick.
Brianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:29 PM   #3

Alpine Owners Club
We replaced that lovely piece of work with one of these. Nice warm light. No flickering whatsoever when dimmed down. We also replaced the switch with an led rated slide dimmer. Couldn't be happier.
The bedroom sconce lights...we removed them and painted them with Krylon Fusion oil rubbed bronze. Couldn't really find any that didn't break the bank. Added 5w natural light LEDs, they are very easy on the eyes at night.
https://www.homedepot.com/pep/Progre...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2021, 02:51 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry W View Post

Keeping an eye on this thread. I also want to replace those sconces with something that runs on 12 volts. Don't know why WRV used 120v to begin with.
Old 01-31-2021, 07:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrthor View Post
Keeping an eye on this thread. I also want to replace those sconces with something that runs on 12 volts. Don't know why WRV used 120v to begin with.
Right...I mostly boondock any leaving the inverter on all night just to get bedside lights sucks.
2005 Alpine 36FDDS #75268
MARYSVILLE, WA.
Jeep401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:32 AM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:

Thanks, Terry
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep401 View Post
Right...I mostly boondock any leaving the inverter on all night just to get bedside lights sucks.
We replaced both fixtures in the bedroom with dedicated 12V lights that we bought from Trailer. We replaced then when we removed the mirrors from the side of the bed as we discovered it was difficult to find a fixture to replace the lights installed at the factory the way they drilled out the mirrors......so when we used wood instead of mirrors it made this much easier.

I also had to run a 12V line back to the fuse panel and up through the back panel as I couldn't find a decent 12V source in the back of our 36FDDS. They work great, I'll snap a picture of them next time I'm at the coach.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Rick,

Funny thing we almost never use ours just want to update the look. Thinking we'll just update the glass and call it good.

I don't know anything about the 34' or 36' but the the 40' has an outlet on either side of the head of the bed. I'm guessing they just took the 120 straight up the wall 18" and stuck in the sconces. Probably saved time and labor.

Since we don't really use them I never considered changing to 12v. I could probably pick it up from bathroom vanity and/or the rear closet.

I'm thinking it might not be too hard to convert your existing fixtures to 12v. You would just need a 12v source and maybe a new socket for the bulb. My wife reads a Kindle otherwise I would probably be talking myself into a new project.

Oh yeah, we found a kitchen light on line and it's ordered. One down!!

Terry
Terry W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Rick,

Funny thing we almost never use ours just want to update the look. Thinking we'll just update the glass and call it good.

I don't know anything about the 34' or 36' but the the 40' has an outlet on either side of the head of the bed. I'm guessing they just took the 120 straight up the wall 18" and stuck in the sconces. Probably saved time and labor.

Since we don't really use them I never considered changing to 12v. I could probably pick it up from bathroom vanity and/or the rear closet.

I'm thinking it might not be too hard to convert your existing fixtures to 12v. You would just need a 12v source and maybe a new socket for the bulb. My wife reads a Kindle otherwise I would probably be talking myself into a new project.

Oh yeah, we found a kitchen light on line and it's ordered. One down!!

Terry
Going to tag onto Terry's post for the bold part. If you decide to convert the existing fixtures to 12v, you can do as Terry suggests and use the existing wiring and socket. You can buy 12v standard base LED bulbs, but they are not commonly found outside of lighting stores. However, 12v LED candelabra bulbs are much more common and you can buy them at ACE Hardware along with an adapter that screws into the standard base.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 10:36 AM   #9

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljwt330 View Post
Going to tag onto Terry's post for the bold part. If you decide to convert the existing fixtures to 12v, you can do as Terry suggests and use the existing wiring and socket. You can buy 12v standard base LED bulbs, but they are not commonly found outside of lighting stores. However, 12v LED candelabra bulbs are much more common and you can buy them at ACE Hardware along with an adapter that screws into the standard base.
So.......... Larry, in our coaches there is not a 12V source to tap into at the rear wall and one needs to be provided. It is true (and we did use) the existing 120V lines to tie the left and right together but at least in our 2001 36FDDS I had to bring 12V back to the rear wall. There is a 12V source in the rear equipment bay at the 12V trouble light but it is on a very thin wire and is spec'd @1A so to do it right I ran a dedicated line back to the fuse panel and used this as the power source and then used the existing 120V wires between the 2 lights..... we abandoned the light switch as it's really not needed with the 12V fixtures that have individual switches
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 11:20 AM   #10

Kitchen light

We replaced the 4' two tube florescent with two LED strip lights with pull chains. I drilled the plexiglass and dropped the pull chains through, way less power draw, brighter when both are on, and can turn one off.

We changed to a MAGNUM MS2012 inverter which gives true sign wave power, better for LED lights and CPAP machines(I'm sure that there is more than me that uses them).

will be looking at replacing the dining light soon.

as for the marker lights I found this on the interweb https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...5-lumens/6325/

Rod

Tags
ceiling, light