Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Alpine Coach Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-24-2017, 04:06 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Cell Phone Service-ATT is Junk

All- I'm Back. Not so much asking tech stuff, but wanting to provide information.

We had ATT Cell Phone Service and DIRECTV through that plan. Called them last June, asked them if I cancelled Cell Phone would I continue to receive their promotion on DTV. Answer was YES. Went to Consumer Cellular service, with a Samsung Galaxy J3 for 100 dollars. My tale of wow starts here. Once I cancelled ATT, got new bill, DTV went from 50 monthly to 122 monthly, called them, said I no longer had Cell phone so, lost promotion. Asked what was lowest level, I saved 10 bucks, lost the weather channel, which we watch 99% of the time. Asked about cancellation fee, as have 7 months left on contract, that would be 140. So told them to cancel service, ship me boxes for equipment return, and I WILL NEVER USE ANOTHER ATT/DTC PRODUCT AGAIN. In fact Dish is just as bad, with the contract crap, equipment stuff, etc.

Just hooked up a Moho 60 Mile outside antenna for the house, little tweaking left, but we now get Atlanta stations fairly good, and that is free. If I want can get a streaming box for the house, and get any movies out there but Hollywood has not made a good movie in so long, I don't worry about that. John, Humphry, Katheryn, and all the rest are gone, so no good actors left. ATT/DTV has soured me on any major corporation cell-pay TV service. The menu to get human is horrendous, and then get switched about 5 times before person actually can help me, crap shoot if I get a person who has English as first language. More often than not, Philippines, or further east, hard to understand, even for me and I spent years overseas.

Consumer Cellular is great, discount because of AARP membership, service is good, bill is less than half of the old one. This happened in July. Better half wanted a flip phone, but now she might opt for the same phone I got. Service is excellent, have not dropped a call, only one time in KY did sound get garbled. So far can use phone as a hot spot when traveling which puts me in the highest data plan but still less than half of ATT. Taxes and fees are similar.If I need service, call time and wait can be long, but you can ask for call back, which might take hour or two, but get American who has English as 1st language, and they understand my problem. Have needed to call couple of times. I highly recommend this service. It works well while we travel too, as we have gone to southern GA and KY with no dropped calls, etc. They also have a home phone plane, was on promotion, don't know now. If anyone has had master cylinder replaced, please comment on my post in that thread, as I need a place which is good, but not expensive.
Renipladlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #2

Directv does have its faults since the buyout by AT&T. But over the years I have gotten satellite TV service in a lot of places where there was no over-the-air TV reception, and no cell service capable of providing streaming video. RV park cable service is not worth hooking up to unless they have converted to digital. So it serves a purpose for those of us who want our TV just about anywhere.

I also now have an AT&T Mobley mifi hotspot with a $20/mo "unlimited" data plan. This allows me the option to stream Netflix or other service when I am in the trees and cannot get the satellite to lock on to the signal. It is still relatively new to me, so I have not had a ton of experience with it yet, but so far I am very happy with it. You can't beat the $20/mo price for unlimited data.

You need to pick whatever works best for your needs, whatever those are.

Tags
service